Search results

1. N

framming a bench like a wall instead of a table

As an old marine carpenter I must advise you to keep the table frame and cross pieces in the vertical attitude. You should also eye down the edge of the piece and determine where the crown of the board is. All boards have a crown. Look along the edge and you'll see a slight curve in the board...
  2. N

Bonita Grand Central

I hear ya Louis. I don't think I ever met a train person that I didn't like and these forums are a lot of fun. My layout is out in my shed for now and I had it running pretty well but then decided to empty out my storage unit to save the money. It's too hot out there anyway,92 today and doesn't...
  3. N

Bonita Grand Central

Thank you Louis for the welcome. I've been trying to empty out my rented storage unit to save the rent money and have stuff piled on my train table for now. It'll be awhile before I get back to the trains I think. Pete
  4. N

Your other interests...

Ha! WE lose more seats that way. That patrolman is a good example of why everybody doesn't get to fly a helicopter. I was lucky because I had been to the Ft. Rucker mechanics school and pretty much knew how and why they fly. That helps a lot. My pilot friends where always after me to go to...
  5. N

Your other interests...

Helicopters are tricky but it's just because the wings are in a different place. Left and right and up and down are about the same but it's the forward and back that confuses most people. The big difference between the rotary wing and the fixed wing is that helicopter pilots don't carry a...
  6. N

Your other interests...

Bet it was exciting though. We had those little Bell 47 choppers in my Guard unit back in the 60's. I was a chopper mechanic but with two choppers and 200 mechanics in the battalion there was often nothing to do. So I ended up a cook which I loved and had a lot of time off. I often went flying...
  7. N

Your other interests...

Bet that was scary the first time. Probably scary the last time too. Not many people can say they have done that. pete
  8. N

Your other interests...

Carrier pilots are the top guns if you ask me. Takes a lot of guts to try and land on a postage stamp in five miles deep water.
  9. N

Your other interests...

I'm a "pile it" too. I pile it here and I pile it there. Flew a bunch in the service but never bothered to get a ticket. Always liked it though. Pete
  10. N

Building "Lakeview Depot"

That's going to look great Tony. It can be a lot of work building from scratch but it's very rewarding. You'll sell lots of things off your RR sooner or later but I'll bet you'll never sell anything that you built yourself. 50 years from now somebody will say "I knew the guy that built that...
  11. N

Bonita Grand Central

here's a link to the BGC on the Model Train Forum. The bridge building is on page 82. Pete http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=7310&page=83
  12. N

Bonita Grand Central

Yes I think I did. let me see if I can find it and post a link. Pete
  13. N

bachmann flextrack

It's the American way of business. "Do unto others before they do unto you". Ha! I love that saying. There's another old saying too; It's the Golden Rule that he who has the gold makes the rules. Pete
  14. N

Hauling Hoppers on the D&J Railroad

Just thinking about a comment made by Warren Buffet about railroads. "It takes a tank car five days to get across the country which gives it an average speed of 5 miles per hour". That's not really very fast. Pete
  15. N

Bonita Grand Central

Appreciate the kudos guys. Glad you like the bridges. I like to buy kits whenever I can but the last few years have not been kind to me financially so I have had to build a lot of things that I would normally buy. However in doing so I found that it isn't all that difficult to build these things...
  16. N

I hear ya Ken. I was just messin' with ya 'cause I'm running out of Twinkies. However the railroad speed is one of my pet peeves. I just don't understand why our RR's can't make better time? I see tracks in videos that wind around back and forth through apparently flat, wide open spaces like in...
  17. N

Very nice layout but you could put a little speed on that train. They are waiting for the grain to make more twinkies.
  18. N

Bonita Grand Central

This is the first bridge I buit. It's from scratch but resembles a lot of real bridges here and there. It's too long for the present BGC but was part of my layout a couple years ago where i had more room. It's pretty dirty right now but it cleans up ok. You can see how the cables go and the...
  19. N

Bonita Grand Central

I have no idea how I made that bridge. I just sat down one night and started tinkering. Actually that's the second cable bridge that I made. I'll post a picture of the first one in a minute. It started out to be like the straight bridge in the second picture but then I had a few ideas and kinda...
  20. N

Bonita Grand Central

Plainville is a wide spot in the road (RT-1A) about half way between Boston and Providence. On the Cape we lived in Popponessett which is now called New Seabury. Then we lived in Centerville where I graduated from Barnstable High School in Hyannis and then we moved to Dennisport. In 61 we moved...

Back