Search results

1. M

Rivarossi paint failure

Just curious. I have re-purchased. I had this Santa Fe observation car in storage a few years in a commercial cardboard storage box along with the rest of the set. I glanced through the box and noticed this paint failure. The factory paint just disintergrated down to the base, and it smeared...
  2. M

DCC steam engine stalls on S curve

I have a Broadway Limited 4-6-2 that stalls in the same place every time on my layout when every other engine runs through the area just fine. My layout is a double dogbone with two identical S curves of code 100 flelxtrack. There are no joints where the engine fails. It just loses power and...
  3. M

Need ideas for a Rivarossi drive shaft

I acquired a Rivarossi 2-8-8-2 that had been upgraded with a can motor. The motor is mounted a little cockeyed, and a flexible drive shaft is needed. There is not enough room for those Delrin connections. The rubber hose that was in place has worn out. I have tried week eater fuel lines with a...
  4. M

Santa Fe Blue Goose

I love these vintage items. https://youtu.be/RfZCWDug-P4
  5. M

San Antonio and Aransas Pass

Are there any followers here?
  6. M

Lenght of heavyweight baggage cars

My Rivarossi cars are 85 footers, but the only baggage cars I can find are 60 footers. Is that prototypically correct or a model manufacturing tradeoff? Bill
  7. M

Programming track

Can a "programming track" just be a piece of flex track nailed to a board? Why can't I use the "main line" if I remove everything else? Bill
  8. M

Need sheet styrene substitute

I live in a small town with no hobby or craft shop. I need something equivalent to sheet styrene that I might have around in the house in a drawer. I want to mount a can motor with double stick tape. Maybe an old credit card, but that is a little to thick? I could order online but I need...
  9. M

Rivarossi question

Is there any notable difference between the older Rivarossi in the blue and yellow AHM boxes and the newer one in the red boxes? Does one or the other have a higher re-sale value? Bill
  10. M

air brush hanger

My air brush came with a hanger that sort of looks like a horse shoe bent 90 degrees on one end. I have searched, and I cannot figure out how to or where to mount the hanger in order to use it as a hanger. Can someone post a pic of the hanger in action? Bill
  11. M

What does "second generation" diesel mean?

What was the first and third? Bill
  12. M

SP Daylight question

I acquired a nice set on the internet, an Alco PA and dummy and five streamliner passenger cars. Can I run a GS 4 steamer with those passenger cars, or what would be appropriate? Does someone make Daylight heavyweights? Bill
  13. M

Complications from changing a traction tire on a Riva

I have gotten myself in a bit of a fix. In the past, I have successfully changed traction tires on a 2-8-8-2 with no problem, although it sometimes took several tries to get the kinks out. Today I tackled my 4-6-2, which has been running OK but the tires were hard and stiff. It also had a very...
  14. M

The color of snow plows

I went to an estate sale and got a box of Details West snow plows for $ .25 each (not rotary). I live in Texas where it is either 100 degrees or 32 degrees, but we don't need snow plows. It looks like my Santa Fe fleet is going to get snow plows. Most of my engines have a blue base. Would...
  15. M

Pacifics

What is a Heavy Pacific, compared, I reckon, to a plain Pacific? Bill
  16. M

Athearn uneven coupler height on engines and dummies

What do you do when an Athearn engine or dummy does not give the right coupler height? You cannot put a washer under the truck to make it higher like rolling stock. Do you bend the frame a little of file off a little metal if it is too low? Bill
  17. M

Has anyone tried Woodland Scenes coal for the plastic coal on a tender?

I am thinking about it. Bill
  18. M

Removing the shell from a Rivarossi heavyweight

Can anyone walk me through removing the shell? There appears to be four tabs in the black floor bottom that join with the outside shell which has a small indentation for the tab. I understand that roof and window glazing are one piece, but dang if I can figure it out. Bill
  19. M

I am burning out LED's right and left

This is my first rodeo with LED’s. I am trying to luminate an LED from my DC track with wheel wipers. I guess the voltage could be 6 to 12. I bought a package of Miniatronics Yeloglo White 3 mm LED’s, and after burning out the first one (used the 270resistor), the second one worked fine and is...

Back