Search results

1. NScaler

Going to St Louis Transportation Museum - Any other suggestions?

I was wondering if anyone in or near St Louis has any suggestions for other things to do in the St Louis area (besides the Arch and Zoo). We have a family of 5 and am looking for things fun for the kids which are 2, 7, and 13. Thanks for any suggestions. I will be watching for replies on the...
  2. NScaler

Researching Union Pacific's Wyoming Division

I am trying to find info on Union Pacific's Wyoming Division. Primarily because of the locomotives that ran on it. I like the big steam engines. The Challenger's, the Big Boy's, etc. I also like the little 4-4-0's, so it's not just the larger engines that I like. But it was suggested I pick a...
  3. NScaler

Found this old picture in a box of junk

We were cleaning out the garage, and I have no idea where this came from, but it's going in the train room! Anyone know anything about this? It's pretty old. Oh, and while searching for it I stumbled upon this little tidbit from the past. Enjoy...
  4. NScaler

Chat Room

This site needs a chat room. There are a ton of free scripts out there. I would be happy to help moderate it since I am usually here either on my phone or at my PC. Who else would like to see a chat room available here?
  5. NScaler

Ever had this happen to you at a restaurant?

I took my family out to dinner last night. My wife baby-sits a few kids during the day sometimes and we had one of the kids with us. So it was my wife and I, our 7 year old, our 20 month old, and a 2 year old. We had a nice dinner and when it was time to ask for the check the waiter said a...
  6. NScaler

Critter - What is This?

rlundy90 has this photo in their gallery... First of all what is this? I assume it's a little switcher, but who made it? When was it made/used? And is this something that could be built in N scale? It's just an awesome little loco and I love it. Thanks!
  7. NScaler

Wooden Tunnel Portal Design Questions

I am helping my step-son research a scratch-build of a tunnel portal and retaining walls for his diorama. We have been looking at numerous photos and web sites featuring wooden tunnel portals. I have a lot of bass wood, but I am not sure how all the boards are actually laid out. I don't know...
  8. NScaler

Check this Out!

The other day I sent Steve (aka PlowGuy) some decals I made for his logging vehicles. He sent me these surprises in return... These are N scale trucks by the way. The log truck is currently being repainted in his lime green logging company colors. I can't wait to decal it with his logo. The...
  9. NScaler

Helping Step-Son Build a Diorama - Really Cool!

My buddy Kaleb is building his very first diorama for 4H at the ripe old age of 13. He decided to build one using some of my train stuff. I am trying not to help too much as this is supposed to be his project. So this should be interesting. I hope he learns a bunch from this. The plan is to...
  10. NScaler

Helping Step Son Build Diorama - Need Ideas

My 13 year old step-son has joined 4H. He is going to build a diorama. His interests are Star Wars and of course exotic cars. I would have to help him out with this project and I was trying to convince him to build a gas station scene. But he wasn't interested. He suggested Star Wars, but I...
  11. NScaler

Installing Micro-Trains Couplers on Older Rolling Stock

I have some older Arnold, Roco, and Con-Cor stuff. I am converting them to Micro-Trains couplers but some of these are not simple swaps. Like this Con-Cor Rock Island box car: The holes are too large for the pin to press into. The pins that were originally holding the Rapido equipped trucks on...
  12. NScaler

Microtrains Couplers - What do you do when they come apart?

I just pulled a truck out of the package and it was in pieces. For about ten attempts at putting it back together I had all the parts. Then the spring went flying. There went $2.50. Then I just found another one in pieces. I am contacting Micro Trains because this is bull. I am out $5 worth of...
  13. NScaler

N Scale Athearn UP 4-8-8-0

N Scale Athearn UP 4-8-8-4 I just saw this engine in my LHS and it was one of the coolest model railroad engines I have ever seen. The detail was superb and I was immediately drooling. I can get it for an average price, and being bought from my LHS is a bonus. Do any of you guys have this in N...
  14. NScaler

Glue and Glue Applicators - What do you use?

I am looking to better my glue supplies and I am wondering what you guys use for gluing various kits together. I know there are some really good glue applicators out there and I need a couple good ones. My brushes are getting mangled and I want to be a bit more precise than I am currently...
  15. NScaler

Need a Layout Design - I cannot design it myself so I really need some help.

I have an area for my layout and I have designed the benchwork. My benchwork is a 160" x 90" "L" shape as seen here... I have my benchwork shape saved in SCARM and XtrackCad. Yes, I know there are some hard to reach areas. My plan was lots of room in the back for mountain scenery. And access...
  16. NScaler

N Scale Stake-Side Flatbed Semi Trailer and Storage Shed from Leftover Trailer Box

I have a few trailers leftover from my truck conversions so I tried to think of something to build with a couple of these trailers. One idea was to convert one to a stake-side flatbed since I always liked those trailers. I don't want to throw away the trailer box so I have decided to turn it...
  17. NScaler

CMW N Scale Trucks - What is up with the lack of detail on the chassis top?

I have purchased 3 of these packages of trucks. I have been wondering how on earth this makes any sense. Look where they put the detail... I wonder who decided it would be best to detail the underside of the truck but leave the top area that you see looking like a child's toy? I need some...
  18. NScaler

Gloor Craft N Scale Coaling Tower - Anyone Built One?

I can't wait to tear into this kit. I am planning working on it this weekend. It looks pretty challinging. And Gloorcraft gives pretty vague instructions. Anyone ever built this kit?
  19. NScaler

Building an N Scale Tow Truck

I figured I would do as I did on my last build and let you guys follow along with this next build. I thought if one of my trucks breaks down I am going to need something to pull them back to the shop for repairs. So a tow truck is a logical build for my next project. This will be the last build...
  20. NScaler

Paasche VL Airbrush Won't Spray

I just bought a used Paasche VL air brush. I only bought it because it was a pretty good deal, and appeared to be well cared for. I can't get it to spray anything. I have even tried straight water. So I bought new needles. I have tried the #!, #3, and #5 tips/needles. I have the correct needle...

Back