Search results

1. S

Gondola Built from Scraps

I love it when a photo or someone else's work inspires me to begin a new project. Such was the case with this gondola that I scratch-built with leftovers from other projects log since completed (except for the kadees which came from "new inventory"). Mostly, it was just a matter of gluing a...
  2. S

Comment by 'SteveO' in media 'Pen Station'

Those are some good ideas for additional details - I'll get to work on it! Yes, Bob. Those are finishing nails. The barbed wire was made from a diagonal cut of the screen material. I actually built this pen before starting anything else on the layout and it encouraged me to go ahead with...
  3. Pen Station

Pen Station

This is an aerial view of the Ballard Terminal Railroad's locomotive pen - what I like to call "Pen Station". The prototype has room for two SW1s, an old NP caboose and an even older wooden trolley. The HO version has room for just one locomotive as the layout is only 11 inches wide.
  4. Salmon Bay Rail Barge

Salmon Bay Rail Barge

In getting this photo, I confirmed that my rail barge really does float. The tug does not. And while the barge floats, it also drifts (especially without a good tug to hold it in place). And to top it all off, the tide keeps changing the water level, which may not matter if everything floats...
  5. S

TPHX 2100 (Ferroequus)

This HO scale locomotive began its life as a Precision Craft Models Reading T-1 #2124. Using my Dremel tool, I removed the coal load and replaced it with a home-fashioned oil bunker and hatch. The factory painted name and number were scraped away and replaced with decals. Then, a little paint...
  6. Rocky's Tavern

Rocky's Tavern

Rocky's Tavern is an inexpensive kit that represents Mike's Chili Parlor (and tavern) just adjacent to the Ballard Bridge in Seattle. I believe the GN crews stopped here for beans in the old days.
  7. Salmon Bay Cafe

Salmon Bay Cafe

Customers will be ticketed (and towed) if they don't respond to the whistle or the crew's inquiries.
  8. Salmon Bay Rail Barge

Salmon Bay Rail Barge

In getting this photo, I confirmed that my rail barge really does float. The tug does not. And while the barge floats, it also drifts (especially without a good tug to hold it in place). And to top it all off, the tide keeps changing the water level, which may not matter if everything floats...
  9. Forklifts and Coffee

Forklifts and Coffee

I think you're more likely to find the snack truck on the other side of the canal, but I have spotted it in Ballard. The forklift is going back to the ship for more fish bound for the east coast.
  10. Sherwin Williams

Sherwin Williams

Okay, if you know Ballard, you know that Sherwin Williams is on the other side of the bridge and it's not in an old brick building. But there are a lot of old brick buildings in Ballard and I wanted one in just that spot.
  11. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier

Sound barriers are placed next to the reefer units to keep noise within city tolerance.
  12. Log Train in Ballard

Log Train in Ballard

Not very often can you find a logger in Ballard - except down in the basement. The logs were from a flotinia that needed pruning.
  13. One of the Locals

One of the Locals

Not all of the residents of Ballard have a roof over their heads. Sometimes they hang out along the tracks. Most of them exchange friendly waves with the train crew.
  14. Not a Customer

Not a Customer

This building is a blend of several businesses in the area. But none of them are customers of the railroad.
  15. Locomotive Pen

Locomotive Pen

A secure pen is provided for the locomotive when it is not making a run.
  16. Marine Parking Lot

Marine Parking Lot

Just a parking lot.
  17. MSN 103 Right Side

MSN 103 Right Side

Meeker Southern's SW9 (formerly Weyerhaeuser #303) was placed in service in June 2003, but it took until now to get a model done.
  18. Ballard Overview

Ballard Overview

Ballard Terminal Railroad - east end of the line.
  19. Pickup at Gas Station

Pickup at Gas Station

Think of it as part of the Ballard Oil complex.
  20. About to Dock

About to Dock

The Car Float is about to dock on my work table. The old Milwaukee SW-1 that subsequently served the Seattle & North Coast RR and Oympic RR has been re-painted for its current life on the Ballard Terminal Railroad.

Back