Search results

1. P

Scratchbuilt Prison

I just started using XtrCAD to design a prison I want to include on my layout. I hope to have it all designed and I'll attach a copy of the design here in this thread for you guys to see. I was going to put a hospital for the mentally ill or the prison so I opted for the prison since I'm a...
  2. P

Oddities on your layout?

I am in a few model railroad and 1/87 scale military modeling groups on Yahoo and I posed something similiar on the groups and we had a lot of fun with the topic since everyone wants to put something unique on their layouts. I myself have been using XtrCAD to design a Penetentiary for my...
  3. P

Need help...

I am in need of some help if there is anyone out there who has interest in the Hoboken/Weehawken waterfront railroading. I need to find some history and some mapping if at all possible. I wish to do my layout to include the North Bergen, Hoboken, Jersey City, Weehaken areas since I grew up...
  4. P

Truth or Urban Legend?

I've just heard something that I'm trying to confirm. Is there anyone who can confirm or deny to the truth or rumor that sometime back, I believe it was a freight train, was winding down around the Delaware Water Gap and went around a curve to fast and it lost the locomotives into the Delaware...
  5. P

What I saw today...

While I was out today enjoying the nice weather in the NE PA area finally, I happened to be out on route 81 near Scranton when I saw a tractor trailer go by on the other side with a Steel Bay Window caboose that was partially number and lettered. Scott
  6. P

NE PA Model Railroad Club

Hey all..... I apologize in advance if this is not in the right area. Since it isn't a fully up and operational model railroad club, I didn't think I should put it in the Club section. Just a little message in case there are some HO scale model railroaders in the NE PA area. I'm forming the...
  7. P

Northeast Pennsylvania Railroaders

Are there any northeast Pennsylvania railroader's on the forum? I'm interested in meeting up with some people who are pretty local for regular get together's to talk railroading and other fun stuff. I'm also looking for a model railroad club in the NE PA area if anyone knows of one who is...
  8. P

Benchwork Question

Since I'm about to get ready on my embarkment of putting the framework together for the layout, I was wondering about the opinions of what everyone thinks of the different benchwork styles out there. I've seen a few different styles, which ones are the sturdiest? Scott
  9. P

Intermodal Yard Plans

I was interested in putting a large intermodal yard on my layout like the one I used to work at when I was younger in the North Bergen, NJ area. Does anyone know where I can dig up some intermodal yrad track plans. I used to have a map of the yard in North Bergen but over the course of my life I...
  10. P

Scenery Oddities?

I know everyone tries to create as much realism as possible when putting together your layouts. But they are certain scenes that are almost comical and odd. Have you included an odd or comical scene to your layout? If so, share it with us in detail or if you have a photo even better... Scott
  11. P

Track Question...

Can anyone give me their opinion on the best track to use to lay down on the layout? Since the layout is very large, I'm surely not going to hand lay my own track. I would think that is time consuming. What's better, Code 70, Code 83, Code 100? Who makes the better track, Atlas, Peco, etc.... I...
  12. P

Question...

I thought I'd throw this one out there since I've read about in a RR magazine somewhere. How many of you when building a layout include some sort of structure or business like the one you work in? I am in law enforcement and work in corrections. Since I have a space of 30 feet by 15 feet to...
  13. P

Measured the loft today...

Finally measured the loft size and this is what I have to work with: 30 feet long by 15 feet wide. Now if I can only get my computer to get my damn photos of the HandyCam!!!! Scott
  14. P

When is too much detail too much?

I've always thought that there is such thing as too much detail. But when do you come to the realization that you are over doing it? I have been gifted with a large area to build my future layout and I do like lots of detail but don't want to over do it. So I pose this question to you guys...
  15. P

Attempted to take photos...

I attempted to take photos with our older Panasonic digital camera and they just look horrible. I'm embarrassed to post those. So I broke out our new Sony HandyCam and took some with that but now have to figure out how to get them from the camera onto the PC!!! Frustrating!!!! Scott
  16. P

NMRA Question

I was wondering what the benefits are for becoming a member of the NMRA? Are there any members on the board here? Scott
  17. P

Hoboken/Weehawken water front question...

Since I'm returning to the hobby after a 20 year hiatus, I was wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to view some reference photos so I can start planning my layout? Any information is greatly appreciated. Scott
  18. P

Introduction...

Good evening everyone. I'm new to the forum and I'm a returning model railroader after about 20 years away from the lifestyle. I call it a lifestyle because I spent lots of my younger years living to be around the railroads down in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. To me it much more than...

Back