Search results

1. B

Making wire trunks more realistic

I'm a little late to this thread, but I've also done wire trees for the first time recently. Here's the stuff I used to fill in the wire frames: I chose it mostly because it was on sale on Michaels, I think it was $3.99-ish? I came across this thread searching the word "sawdust" in an...
  2. B

Icing Docks

I'm too young to have any first hand knowledge of how these worked, but from what I've seen and heard, ice supply was typically done from the side... This is the closest I could find in a google search. It's an overhead ice loader, dumping ice block chips into the open hatches. Again, I've...
  3. B

Need help - DCC Engine Not Running Smoothly

Well, I sent the email, took them a couple days to respond and a couple days for me to respond and that's how a week went by, haha. Basically, they suggested sending it in for service. I think I'll just buy the lower chassis and hope for the best. That sub assembly includes pretty much all of...
  4. B

I did see the chassis assembly and thought about just getting that. I figured if I get that, I could change it one component at a time to see where the problem really lies. Edit for spelling
  5. B

Okay, I went through the store at Bachmann's site and there are no geared drive wheels available, but they do have non geared wheel sets. They're pretty cheap, so not a big deal if that's the direction. Before buying any parts, I sent an email to their service team with a link to one of the...
  6. B

Well, the same problem existed. Here's what I noticed... I used a pair of alligator clips, one side on the tracks and the other end I just pressed on the wheels. If I held the clips so that they also contacted the flanges (inboard side of the wheel), it ran fine. As soon as I slid the clip face...
  7. B

On to Track Laying

Don't cut yourself short, this looks great! Picture it with some bi-directional traffic lead by your favorite loco. It looks much better than any bridge I've built!
  8. B

Everyone, thank you so much for the help! I've always thought my troubleshooting skills were decent, but this one has me wondering. Your input is really helpful, I appreciate all of it. I checked resistance between the wheels when fully assembled. There was the expected connections between...
  9. B

Changes and updates to a half complete small HO layout

Got the layers of foam glued down. I drew the outline of each sheet and then numbered each one so I could remember the order. I also tried to lineup the numbers so I could remember the placement of each order. I also decided to use that side wall where the light switch is a removable panel...
  10. B

Sorry for the delay, had to to take a day to make some trees and build a mountain. Now that I'm refreshed about this, here we go... The wipers are here, and there's a picture of how they lay on the engine. I tried to get from all angles, but the little spotlight I use on my bench was causing...
  11. B

Age Of Steam Roundhouse event

It looks like the link is for subscribers of Trains Magazine. I had seen it as an ad in my Google feed, not sure why I can't see it now. Here's a link to the location, it's a pretty nice looking museum that does regular tours. I'd love to go and check it out, have never been myself...
  12. B

Wortham HO layout

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! I really like the pavement/street. Did you do that yourself?
  13. B

Changes and updates to a half complete small HO layout

Needed a break from working on a defiant locomotive, decided to put some foam in place to envision what the mountain and coal mine will look like. Here's what I came up with... Second picture is a bit blurry, didn't notice that before. The loading track will be on the hardboard, in front of...
  14. B

My layout uses DCC++ and JMRI, so there is a window where I can watch current draw. However, it's not a real time display (it lags a little bit) so it's hard to see spikes. The only amp meter I have access to is a clamp style oscilloscope probe which lives at work and although it would be...
  15. B

Age Of Steam Roundhouse event

For anyone in the Northern Ohio area that has enough clout and camera equipment, a golden opportunity to get some great shots of steam in action... TRAINS Magazine: Age of Steam Roundhouse, Trains Magazine offer exclusive photo event May 20...
  16. B

I had thought of this, but decided the PCB was not the issue. Reason being that when using alligator clips to connect the track signal direct to where the wires are soldered to the PCB, everything works fine. This means that the PCB and decoder are receiving and processing the signals without an...
  17. B

I did probe at each junction, but couldn't figure out how to do it on the track. What I found was that the highest resistance was between the wipers and the board. And the only junction in there is the connection between the wipers and the contacts that are soldered to the wires. There was a...
  18. B

The picture does make it look this way so I checked and there isn't actually any contact. Good eye though! I've taken this engine apart so many times in the last few days that if there were a mechanical variable in flux, it would've shown itself by now. I do continue to check alignments and...
  19. B

starting over with HO scale

I like this a lot, think it's a big improvement from version 1. The two mainlines having their own industries can be a lot of fun. Cars that need to switch from one line to the other and coordinating those efforts between the trains, gives a bit of an operator feel to the time running. I did...
  20. B

Finally got the video to upload this morning... When connecting the track signal directly to the board, it runs great, nice and smooth. The only thing missing during that test is full load on the motor (running freely). Also, the connections from wheel cover to the contacts that run to the...

Back