Search results

1. D

Funny or Strange Names of Prototype Railroads

This is for real http://www.rail-info.ch/FART/fotos.en.html
  2. D

Computer Tech Needed.....

I dunno, I run with covers off and never airblast. When things like this start happening I start blaming the power supply. I worked at a a video production company that had professional video tape recorders, and when a power supply started going wacky, the electronics started flipping out. lack...
  3. D

No movement

don't doubt the MRC decoders, I have them and their speakers are LOUD! I would debug the engine electricals first but try the decoder in another engine. Get a voltmeter on the decoder motor outputs and see if you get voltage there, then try at the motor, if no current theres an electrical fudge...
  4. D

No movement

I have had a decoder or 2 do this, doing a reset fixed it. I may have tried that on my A, but found that did not fix it. It has a little firebox glow light showing it has power, but my above post did it.
  5. D

How many sound decoders in an F unit consist?

digitrax and MRC have sound only decoders. If you use a differrent decoder it may have a slight differrent sound. Using the same decoder there may be a setting to slightly change the speed/frequency setting, that gets 2 decoders to get a slightly off sound so they don't sound exactly the same.
  6. D

No movement

I have the BLI Class A 2-6-6-4, first DCC engine ever. First run. Couldnt run it DCC as I didnt have DCC yet. Sure, runs on DC. OK. Time passes, I try the engine, I have DCC now, try the engine, wont move, powers up. So I open the engine, start poking, volt meter/ohm meter continuity, I see a...
  7. D

Locomotive Design Thought...

I saw the Rail flyer site and asked the owner some questions about their axle motors. I never ordered, the idea seemed impressive when I was trying to regear/remotor a North Shore 4 truck boxcab engine. I tried the PDT's but they just didnt fit right, so I poked-looked-researched while the...
  8. D

What is your favorite freight car and why?

I give the 34 ft hopper the favorite as used to grind the coal out of the eastern mountains on the N&W, car after car. grunging, gritty, get the job done. maybe my alternative are these huge articulate heavy load flatcars.
  9. D

Steam locomotive and cars derailing at crossing

I have hand built doubleslip turnouts and special work, normal wheels will just mini-drop down and come back, the flange support on the prototype is important but not so crucial on the model, model makers want to be accurate but my hand built versions dont have the flange support at all...
  10. D

Is this the original Flying Scotsman? Yeppers, deep flanges. A club member had me do repairs to his to run right on the club layout. I have taken a dremel cutoff wheel, spinning, and lightly edge nudge it on the flanges as they spin to grind down the flanges. The engine I had running doing the...
  11. D

12 degrees is a very narrow crossing. What the prototype does is have moveable points for that crossover. Get an NMRA gauge and check clearances. Code 83 is supposed to be deep flange friendly. Check your wheel gauges also. There could be some fault on the crossover so look for that. If you are...
  12. D

Intel CPU question ...

Get yourself a good firewall, I am using privatefirewall, antivirus is Avast. Download these you won't have security problems, keep your browser up to date. I am actually running on this reply an older system using AMD and the last version of firefox supporting XP. I experimented with an Intel...
  13. D

Pin Vise Drill Bits

Granger. Walthers. Yep if the bit fits, you can commit.
  14. D

Denatured Alcohol vs. Isopropyl Alcohol

This is why I like those roller cleaners. A local electronics store had 100% Isopropyl, but my last check they didnt have it. Electronics cleaners may leave a lube residue, meant for the early blade tuners, perhaps the latest dont. any of the 50-70-90 etc % Isopropyl has pure water in it, still...
  15. D

I feel like an Idiot :(

NMRA has a webpage listing all the decoder manufacturers, you can check the decoder maker by reading CV8 which gives you a code given to the manufacturer, so if you forget the maker go there. Basic CV codes are the same for all decoders, beyond that each maker has their own scheme how their...
  16. D

KATO Lighting Kit for Passenger Cars

dc or dcc? I studied the KATO lighting kit, instead I installed function decoders, I have the KATO double deck cars push pull, cab and coach, I have better control of the lighting, but I use the KATO kit for its lighting LEDs. The cab I added bright LED's for the headlight, marker lights, and I...
  17. D

Need people to test drive new realistic train control software!

I have JMRI working with some target signals working for a yard throat for testing. I can get around JMRI.
  18. D

KD Couplers verses Accumate Couplers

When you start getting into real switching, compare accumates and KD's I havent done this yet, but the club I was in was all Kadees, but that was during the horn hook time. The manufacturers I believe moved out of the Horn Hooks but I think they were looking for a little more economical...
  19. D

Model Railroad Rules to Live By

is that #21? The best effect for a model railroad is to have a purpose, storyline. John Allen did that, running trains in a circle will lose desire in a hurry till you get purpose behind it.
  20. D

Need people to test drive new realistic train control software!

Raildriver has this controller which I think is adaptable to DCC. Digitrax's Z controller may be the only nearest real controller, maybe with their rotating hand controller, but I want to see realistic controllers in some fashion for everything. MR had a project to build a realistic brake...

Back