Search results

1. elsner203

The Space Between

I've been working on my layout for just over a year now. Actual construction of placing roads and buildings has been going on for about 6 months. I've had a hard time finding buildings to suit my layout since I want to do a modern, more urban rail. Since this is my first ever layout, it has been...
  2. elsner203

Lunde Models

Anyone have any experience with these models? http://www.lundestudios.com/nscale.htm They have some good looking models, but I'm unfamiliar with the quality and instructions, etc. Just thought I'd ask before I drop that kind of money for a single building. Thanks.
  3. elsner203

Need Help Identifying Locomotive

I was told it was Con Cor/Rivarossi, but there are no markings on it at all. The only marking I can find is Bachmann on the underside of the tender. They look like they go together. Safe to assume the locomotive is Bachmann also? I can't find conclusive evidence online yet.
  4. elsner203

Pulling The Trigger

I have my benchwork complete, my foam glued down and my track is where is needs to be. I've had the entire day off today to start the juicy stuff like gluing the track down, ballasting, placing buildings, etc, but just can't seem to pull the trigger. Hopefully someone else out there can relate...
  5. elsner203

A Little Before and After...

My first attempt at painting a model. Before.... I wanted to add some color to the platform railings and change the green (roof) and light blue (trim and supports) of the main station. After It's not perfect, but I'm happy with the way it turned out! I like the dark blue better and may...
  6. elsner203

Next Step?

I just finished building my benchwork for my island layout. I have the track planned and all the pieces purchased. I'm ready for the next step, so paint the foam or lay the track first? I've checked out the forum archives and found members who have put the track down first and others who have...
  7. elsner203

Big Boy Restoration

Haven't seen this posted on MRF yet, so I thought I'd share. http://news.yahoo.com/big-boy-locomotive-begins-california-farewell-tour-193612367.html Can't wait to see it when it's finished!
  8. elsner203

Plywood vs OSB vs MDF

What do you guys prefer to use on your layout? Mine will be in dry, air conditioned room. I live in Phoenix, so I can't emphasize the DRY part enough. Recommendations? I'm going to be using 2x6 lumber for the frame and 4x4 for the legs. Layout measures 48"x72" Thanks in advance.
  9. elsner203

California Zephyr

I'm not sure if anyone is using the Cal Zep as their prototype, but I drove by this today and thought I'd share. 44596 West Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway, Maricopa, Arizona, United States Check it out on google maps-street view. It's the address (give or take) of the Amtrak station in...
  10. elsner203

NPK N&W NS Bellevue, Ohio Hump Yard

I have a bunch of pics of the Mad River/Nickel Plate Road Museum and the Norfolk Southern (formerly N&W) hump yard in Bellevue, Ohio. Would anyone benefit from seeing them? I have some rolling stock pics, locos with road numbers, a shot from the overpass (frowned upon by the highway patrol)...
  11. elsner203

Mobile and Lightweight Layout

I'm trying to build my layout in our extra bedroom. The room is only 9'6" x 9'6" so there is plenty of space for my 48" x 70" layout. The problem is, that doesn't leave much room for anything else, like my in-laws for example. We'd like to have that space as a guest room, but that leaves no room...
  12. elsner203

Need a Bridge

Hey everyone, I'm still working on my first layout and seem to have hit a snag. Before I knew much of anything about track options, someone recommended using Bachmann EZ track. Well, it has been a bit limiting, but considering it's my first layout, and it really is EZ to use, I'm sticking with...
  13. elsner203

Dodged a Bullet?

Hoping someone could help me out with this.... Looks to me like nearly every auction for both working/non-working locos actually get bids. Somehow this one fell through the cracks. I thought the price was right, but something told me not to bid since I saw it with about 9 hrs left and nobody...
  14. elsner203

Hello From Phoenix!

Hello All, I have posted a few times on this forum already in the past week or so and saw this topic for newbs while browsing the categories! I figured, "hey, that's me!" I used to dicker around with a large garage set up my friend's dad had as a kid and always wanted my own set. When I got...
  15. elsner203

Brand Quality

Hey guys, I've been trying to do a bit of homework on quality of brands for my new N scale layout, but haven't had much luck. The guy at my local hobby shop seems to have a hard on for Athearn and Kato, but I still haven't been able to find that they are "superior" to other brands. One positive...
  16. elsner203

Flickering

Hello all, I'm running into a bit of trouble with my small layout, so I thought I'd join MRF to get some help from people who actually know what they're doing. Yesterday I bought a used layout with two ovals, five buildings, a water tower, Railpower 1300 powerpack and a bunch of cars. It took...

Back