Search results

1. S

HO Buckeye Trucks

I remember seeing and reading a thread relating to these a while back. However, since this deals with some new topics, I figure I'll start a new thread. First off, does anyone know if Eastern Car Works Roller bearing Truck kits are available anywhere? I can't seem to track them down, as...
  2. S

Getting Shell off of Atlas HO C40-8W

The engine is DC, no sound. The wheels are cleaned, but currently, it cannot make it across any electrical gap.
  3. S

Getting Shell off of Atlas HO C40-8W

Does anybody know the correct procedure for removing the shell of an Atlas HO Dash-8 without damaging anything? A wire must have come loose within the engine as it now only receives current in one direction. I'm confident I can fix whatever the problem may be, if only I could get into the darn...
  4. S

Coupler Cut Bars

Whoops, actually, I think I meant uncoupling levers/coupler lift bars for locomotives. I always confuse the two.
  5. S

Coupler Cut Bars

Does anyone sell coupler cut bars (of any type, though preferably AAR Type 1) with the brackets already installed/molded on? I'm getting tired of trying to put those d@mn Details Associates brackets on the bars, only to lose 2 or 3 as they go flying across the room. :mad: Having the bar and...
  6. S

Painting Rails

For mainlines, I prefer railroad tie brown. If you look at a modern Class I mainline, the ties are generally newer and thus a darker brown, as are the rails. For sidings, a combo of rust/rail brown for the rails and a grayer brown for the ties. For yards, it could vary either way.
  7. S

Interesting idea for a Computer program?

I might be able to do it in Visual C++, which is supposed to be better to work with, though I'd have to take a look once school's out. The random features I know I could do, and I could probably start it on a random day. The actual time part would be a little difficult, though I'll have to ask...
  8. S

Curved Surfaces

My other thought, since I'd rather not cut the cab up, is to model the curvature using some putty, then lift it up, then trace it onto the styrene. Alternatively, I could track down C30-7 diagram and trace the curvature there.
  9. S

Curved Surfaces

Not all Primes are created equal: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/229-2308 http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/assets/resources/2006/08/Optimus-Prime-Model.jpg Unless you mean use the base of the prime, which may or may not work, but I'm up for trying it. You are correct on the position...
  10. S

Curved Surfaces

I need to find a way to make parts that fit on the C30-7. I need to find a way to get the Details Associates Prime Air Conditioner to fit on the roof, then model the large Sinclair antenna stand (essentially a big box), and finally the Locotrol unit just behind the cab on this locomotive...
  11. S

And now for something completely different...

Compare to: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=236332&nseq=9 Created it using Autodesk Inventor. Got the dimensions by comparing pixel lengths of the Superliners in the full-size photo with actual dimensions and then converting them to HO. Finally I compressed them to a more doable...
  12. S

Weather Simulator

Alright, so I today I got bored and decided to create a function/program on Matlab (expensive custom math function program, cheap only if you're in college and have a University software store) and decided to create a function to simulate weather during an operating session using some of the...
  13. S

Athearn SD45T-2

Tunnel motor widecab, sort of. http://www.drgw.net/trips/trips/ttci-NDH-%5Bapr-2008%5D/chapter.3/dtfr-2003-pueblo_co-%5B19-apr-2008%5D-000-1500x1000.jpg
  14. S

Scalecoat I on Plastic

Ok, so the hobby shop messed up and gave me Scalecoat I on accident, when I really wanted Scalecoat II. My question is, can you use Scalecoat I on plastic safely? I don't want to open the bottle to test it in hopes that I can possibly exchange it. If it requires primer, would Testor's gray...
  15. S

good way to strip paint?

I've stripped models with 80%, since Walgreens only had 1 pint of 90% and 1 pint of 70%, so I decided to give it a try, and it worked. From basic chemistry, I know that Isopropyl will always work, it will just take longer based on the concentration of the alcohol. I used 80% and let it soak for...
  16. S

Static Grass Applicator

I'm about to embark on a quest to apply a lot of static flock grass to our club layout and display layout. I would like to make a static grass applicator using this article. However, I'm having trouble getting a hold of a negative ion generator. The only company that sells the DC variation...
  17. S

Adding Grabirons

Thanks you guys! I still want to use the styrene as a spacer, and was wondering if you could give me a good thickness for that. The reason for that is that I also need the styrene for some other projects as well, and I just need a size. Thanks a lot!
  18. S

Adding Grabirons

I have two projects coming up, both involving adding handrails where there were none previously. Both models are HO, one is a caboose and the other is an Athearn Blue Box Engine. The Blue Box engine won't be as hard because of you can see where the handrails used to be. However, the caboose will...
  19. S

Adding Ditchlights

Alright, thanks a lot everyone! This has been extremely helpful. One last question, though. What's the best way to chop those old ditchlight mounts without damaging everything else?
  20. S

Adding Ditchlights

The SD70 ditchlights would almost work perfectly, but unfortunately they don't match the GP60M's ditchlights. Do they make any kits similar to the Genesis one(i.e. just the ditchlights and not a fancy board)? Either that or would it be possible to somehow add corners to the rounded SD70...

Back