Search results

1. JeffZCT

Caboose 220S Ground Throw

Good Afternoon fellow modelers, Instead of being out raking the lawn, I am working ( hiding ) in the basement trying to install a Caboose 220S ground throw. I have looked on You tube, however I can not find an installation video for the 220S. So here's the question. The little bronze tab (...
  2. JeffZCT

Railpro, anyone using it?

Railpro I am helping a friend with a new layout using Railpro. While it seems to have a few bells and whistles ( pardon the pun ) I find it rather limited right now as to advanced functions and compatability with exsisting products on the market. Given time that may change. Cost wise, he...
  3. JeffZCT

A Good Friday

Yep, 1984 MT-14 from the MOPAC / UP. Picture is southbound on the old Central Vermont / NECR in VT a few years back. My second favorite hobby !!!
  4. JeffZCT

A Good Friday

Got up this morning determined to clean off and work on an area of the layout that was my junk collection spot. This area goes through the workshop. I got the track spiked down, wired it up ( DCC ), and put in the switch stands. Then my son and I had some fun switching cars around. It's great...
  5. JeffZCT

Decoder Suggestion

I am working on putting a sound decoder in an early HO Roundhouse boxcab. The unit had an Ingersol Rand diesel engine. Don't know about the horn. It will run on an NCE system. Some suggestions please..... :cool:
  6. JeffZCT

Cement and Stone Layout

Switching No run arounds at the mines or yard....??? How will you do the switching :cool:
  7. JeffZCT

SCRAM 1:1 print, transfer to layout

Transfering layout You can use a ponce wheel. Run it over the drawing, then hit it with a chalk bag. Remove the paper and you have the center lines in chalk on the layout. Here is one sold by Micro-mark. http://www.micromark.com/3-piece-pounce-wheel-set,6668.html :cool:
  8. JeffZCT

CNR Brampton Sub - new layout plan

Layout Isle That 19" isle in the lower left looks like a challenge. Could you swing the penninsula a bit and get at least 24...????? Not all your friends are fashion models.:cool:
  9. JeffZCT

ambitious plan

Ceiling Layouts You may want to consider some type of plexi-glass guard rail along the edge. I have done several ceiling layouts and sooner or later there is a de-railment. It's a long drop to the floor and/or getting hit in the head is usually a big OUCH !!! :cool:
  10. JeffZCT

What will you be doing during the blizzard ?

34" No time for layout Well the plan was to hide in the basement and kit bash a new building in the city. So much for the plan. The kid went out last night at 6 to work his EMS shift. Never made it home. He's been stuck at EMS with ,my truck !!!! Stayed up all night, got the walls laid out and...
  11. JeffZCT

What will you be doing during the blizzard ?

Looks like those of us in the Northeast will be house bound for a day or two. Hope you stocked up on glue, paint, and projects. What will you be doing during the blizzard..????
  12. JeffZCT

The benchwork has me stumped

Table top There are many opinions on this subject and many methods that all work very well. I just did a table layout for a friend where I built two 3 x 5 frames out of 1x3 with two cross members in each. I then used 1/8 plywood veneer toped with 2" foam. Glued it all down with liquid nails for...
  13. JeffZCT

Best Hobby Shops on the Web

Who do you use I start with Walthers to get the base price. Sometimes the item is on sale and actually cheaper than E-bay or a supplier. My favorites are Model Train Stuff, E-bay, Dallas Model, Tony's and of course my LHS who usally gives 20% off list. Usally it's not the price, it's the...
  14. JeffZCT

What would you build....??

Thanks for all the great ideas. Looks like the winner is an industrial complex in the City. Three track yard, industrial lead and nine industries sorted around. City has a few tall buildings working down to the rail yard / industrial area. There are 9 industries that should keep a switch crew...
  15. JeffZCT

Suggestions There are about 30 small industries around the layout. Mostly manufacturing. There is a coal mine, gravel pit, and elevator. I was thinking one big complex here that could support about an hour of switching. JZ
  16. JeffZCT

On the last section of the layout. This section has been ripped out since the original design just did not work. So after reading about 100 MR's I am still not sure what to build here. Scenerio - New England, 1990's, no harbor please. End point of a Short line that has a yard at the other end...
  17. JeffZCT

Background Flats You can use

Thanks, I was just looking for a fill in building. Worked great !!!!
  18. JeffZCT

New England Hills

Making Improvements This the berm that runs between the edge of the layout and the track. I have repainted it darker and will add more material to it. Thanks for all the suggestions and I will post a pic when it gets done.
  19. JeffZCT

New England Hills

I am trying to add some contour to the layout with small hills and berms. The scene's are summer in New England. Following the WS and other recomendations my hills seem more mid-west / west then New England. Should I go to darker base colors here..??? Suggestions appreciated.
  20. JeffZCT

Connecting signal wires

Hello, I am having a b...h of a time trying to strip and hook up the small wires on Tomar and BLMA signals. Is there a trick or technique to striping and soldering these things...??? TYIA Jeff Z in CT

Back