Search results

1. Michael J

HO layout in a small space

These are very good ideas, thank you. I am going to work with them in AnyRail to see what can be done. I am also going to mark the benchwork on the carpet with chalk first, before I cut any lumber, to see how it fits. I probably will also divide the whole thing into modules for times if I need...
  2. Michael J

HO layout in a small space

Hello. I am planning my first layout, and I have very limited space. At first I thought of just a 4′×8′ layout, and it is still in my mind as it is simplest to construct. However, I have also considered going around the three walls. Could I get some input on these ideas, or maybe some other...
  3. Michael J

Tiny decal technique

Is there any technique to putting on decals of individual letters? I got some Microscale decals of letters so I could spell out words that do not come standard. But positioning a string of 1/8-inch letters is tricky. I put them on the surface with a tweezer, and attempt to slide them into place...
  4. Michael J

custom rolling stock

Hello. Our club is planning a fund-raising project to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the Tunkhannock Creek Viaduct, which we are fortunate to have in our neighborhood. Just about every local group will be offering souvenirs, so why shouldn't we jump on the bandwagon? Anyway, one item...
  5. Michael J

Operating Engine House

Actually, I do not have room for a personal layout, so it will end up on my section of our club's layout. (That's the fun of being in a brand-new club, being in on the design phase.)
  6. Michael J

Operating Engine House

The engine house is finished and the doors do spring open when I push a car through by hand. However, it will be some time before the layout is ready for buildings to be installed. At worst, I leave the doors in the open position.
  7. Michael J

Operating Engine House

Has anyone else used the two-bay Operating Engine House (originally by Revell, but later by other manufacturers; mine is AHM)? I am in the process of building it. How well does the spring-loaded mechanism for opening/closing the doors work? Is it something you use frequently in your operation...
  8. Michael J

Glue

Another member of our club gave me a small bottle of methylene chloride solvent, which is what he uses. Any tips on using this? I am unfamiliar with it.
  9. Michael J

Instructions missing — windmill

Good thought, Glen. Thanks. I plan to build them as three separate structures then align them. Disguising the base was something I was puzzled about.
  10. Michael J

Glue

Standard styrene model building kits.
  11. Michael J

Glue

I have seen some comments that the old-type cement in a tube is not the best way to go. Are there any recommendations as to what might be better, and how it should be applied? Thank you.
  12. Michael J

I think I figured it out on my own. I spread all the pieces out to see what would fit where. It is actually three models in one - windmill, building and water tank, which then get put on the base and interconnected with pipes. (The windmill pieces are very delicate.)
  13. Michael J

Inventory

I took a photograph of all the rolling stock on the shelfs, so at least I can count and start the spreadsheet. That way I will not miss something. And I will fill in details that I cannot discern from the photo later.
  14. Michael J

Inventory

I have only about 45 pieces of rolling stock, so I guess that I better start now before my collection gets too big.
  15. Michael J

New club in Pennsylvania

Such a simple solution! I did not even think of different legs. Thank you!
  16. Michael J

New club in Pennsylvania

Endless Mountains Model Railroad Club is welcoming new members. Go to our website at http://emmrrc.wix.com/trains, or better yet come to our next meeting on Saturday, July 20, in Dimock PA!
  17. Michael J

Train shed

Well, I didn't get the Revell shed - the price went too high. But I did scarf down an identical shed by AHM for half the price! (Thanks to you guys for informing me of that!) ... The reason: The Revell was listed as "new" in a sealed box, while the AHM was listed as used, even though the only...
  18. Michael J

I do not know the manufacturer. It came just as you see, in a plastic bag with no box. Any guesses on the manufacturer?
  19. Michael J

I recently purchased this windmill kit with water pumping station on eBay. It came without instructions. (No big deal, I got it cheap!) I am going to attempt to put it together just by eyeballing it, but if anyone else has this kit and could send me a copy of the instructions, it would be...
  20. Michael J

Train shed

That IC shed is sweet, but way more $ than I could do.

Back