Search results

1. D

New to Model Railroad My first N scale layout

2 inches of foam works fine any more than that and you will have a hard time with wire feeders! When you get started wiring, to get the wire through everything locate a drill bit that is the same size as a straw then drill a hole , drop the straw in the hole. Next push the wire through the...
  2. D

New DCC operation, can't program

Call MRC, they have a great customer service!
  3. D

easy access of layouts.

I think we all have a tendency to over build our layout in depth, I for one do. This time I figured out a way to get depth of a layout I wanted and be able reach it all. When I built the bench work I installed heavy duty cabinet slides between the frame work attached to the wall and the base of...
  4. D

The KD&S Railroad

Just wanted to share my train layout, "the KD&Sailroad." It is 3'x20' with a 4'x5' extention on one end. There is over 126' of track on it. Hope you enjoy.:D Dean and the crew on the KD&S Railroad http://youtu.be/BoF89QiIwn0
  5. D

Starting to buy rolling stock. Need advice

You might want to go to "N-Scale supply" then look in the upper right corner and go to preowned. They have so pretty good deals. I have bought a lot from them and have had great service. Dean
  6. D

Layout Access

When I built my 3'X20 ' N-Scale layout, I was having the same concern so I put full extention drawer sliders on the frame. I had some that would extent to a full 30". Now the backdrop is attached to the wall and the whole layout slides out to 30 ". Now all I have to do is crawl under it and come...
  7. D

All Aboard

This Train Ride's For You! All Aboard! Floyd Cramer at the piano.Wait for the pictures to come on and have your volume on.http://www.openmyeyeslord.net/Train%20Ride.swf
  8. D

Track lenght

Thanks everyone, I kinda thought that was what it was but it has been a long,long,long time since I figured something like that out.:( Just wanted to make sure. Most of the kids that come out are not that old, they just tag along with their grandpa. I figure that is the excuse the grandpa uses...
  9. D

Track lenght

If you are running N-scale and have 100 feet of track laid down how many miles of real track would that be? Just something I always get asked when kids come over for a visit to the train room. Dean
  10. D

New model railroader from east central Indiana!

Welcome aboard Bill. Boy could you have a great layout in N-scale in that amount of room. No matter what scale you model the point is to have "FUN".:D Dean
  11. D

Lighting Question

Chopps If you want to take pictures where all the colors come out right then you need to get Daylight bulbs, but these are really bright. If you want a more suttle light then go to a soft white bulb, which is your standard light bulb. If you want night scenes then a blue rope light works...
  12. D

Hello, new guy in KC with lots of questions.

Take 1X4 and go all the way around, in about 1" would be fine and then about ever 24" run one crossways. the best way is to screw in down. The main thing you want to do is keep the plywood from twisting or sagging when sitting for a long time or when you pick it up. After you do this you...
  13. D

Forgot:confused:, I would love to see the pictures of your dad's layout.:D Dean
  14. D

With a sheet of plywood you still want to build a light framework out of 1X4 to keep every thing straight. Dean
  15. D

If you decide on a 4X8 sheet of plywood you can get alot of track on it. I use to make them for Christmas gifts for kids in the area and they really liked them. One child that is now 19 came out to the house the other day to see my layout and remarked that he still had his layout in his room! I...
  16. D

DCC Decoder life span

I have got TCS decoders in them right now and not having any problems, I guess time will tell, at least I have a 1year warrenty on them:D Dean
  17. D

DCC Decoder life span

Thanks everyone, I was just wondering if I should isolate staging tracks to keep power off of them, but I like the looks of everything lighted up and ready to go!!! So I guess it does not make a lot of difference, so on they stay:D Dean
  18. D

DCC Decoder life span

Does it shorten the life span on a decoder to have in on a "Hot" track all the time. And what is the life of one any ways? I just transfered all my loco over to DCC and was just wondering. Thanks in advance Dean
  19. D

N-scale railroad an new movie camera

Thanks Otiscnj for the comment. Will try to get so more videos going, Working on a new section right now:D Pictures are also in the works. Dean
  20. D

HO Garage Layout Video

Nice layout, I love it when people run trains slow enough to see them. Nice work. One question tho, Were do you park your car!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Back