Search results

1. R

Converting Bachmann Spectrum Heavyweights to LED lights

Anyone have experience doing this? I have a set of Bachmann Spectrum Heavyweight passenger cars (7 total). My layout is DCC-powered and I operate using NCE Power Cab... 2 amp maximum. I want to convert the passenger car lights from incandescent to LED. Rather than reinvent the proverbial...
  2. R

Removing solder

Any tips for removing solder from nickel-silver rails? It seems obvious that an application of heat is neccessary, but i'm wondering if anyone has discovered a slick way to coerce the solder off the rail once it is in a fluid state. Thanks and happy MRR'ing.
  3. R

Rotary Switch for Roundhouse Stalls

Any suggestions for a rotary switch that would be appropriate for directing rail power to a 12-stall roundhouse? I presently have six DCC locos parked in the roundhouse. All of the stall tracks are live when there is power to the layout. It appears that, even when idle/off, the DCC locos draw...
  4. R

Athearn Genesis FEF upgrades

I've had a first-gen Athearn FEF for a while now and have never been fully satisfied with the factory-installed MRC sound decoder. I've been kicking around the idea of replacing it. Tsunami Heavy Steam seems to be the replacement decoder of choice. I'm interested in any comments, tips...
  5. R

Walthers Modern Turntable

Anyone out there able to speak to the operational differences between the "old" Walthers built-up turntables and the new DCC built-ups? I have the 130' modern built-up turntable, but am curious if the DCC version enhances performance or operation in any way, particularly in terms of stopping...
  6. R

Simple DCC Wiring Guide

Can anyone recommend a simple, online, how-to guide to wiring a layout for DCC? I am considering a major overhaul on my layout which will convert it from Kato Unitrack (pre-wired feeders) to flex track. This will require that I learn a few new things, which is always a good thing. However...
  7. R

3-in-1 oil

Anyone have experience using 3-in-1 oil as a lubricant for model railroad motive power and rolling stock? One of my tenders has developed a nasty screech. I don't have any lubricant specifically marketed for model rairlroading, but I do have a bottle of 3-in-1 in the garage. The label makes...
  8. R

I smell a rat

Fellow model railroaders, Forgive the ambiguity. It is intentional. I have received correspondence from a troubled colleague who recently sold an item to another model railroader. The seller described the item as used, but perfect. Upon receipt, the buyer claimed the item was defective...
  9. R

Help diagnose a sick loco

Greetings all. I model HO scale and operate using NCE PowerCab. I rolled an MTH Big Boy out of the roundhouse today and had a scare. It started up fine, rolled out of the roundhouse, onto the turntable, and out to the yards fine. I backed it up to a consist of 13 cars and headed for the...
  10. R

Unitrack rewire

Good afternoon all. I model HO scale and my layout is entirely Unitrack. Power is fed using 10 total feeder tracks evenly spaced throughout the layout. As you may or may not know, Kato feeder tracks are supplied with 24 AWG wire. Having recently added another loco to my fleet, I am now...
  11. R

UP 3985 pics (MTH content)

Greetings all and Happy Father's Day. I finally managed to get some snaps of my layout. Attached are pics of my MTH HO UP 3985 Challenger. One includes Big Boy 4006. Also seen in the pics are a nearly complete coaling tower and a mostly complete roundhouse. I have plenty of work ahead of...
  12. R

ground cover options

Greetings all. I am interested in ground cover methods you all have used. I had looked at purchasing WS products, but quickly realized this to be costly considering the size of my layout. I have plenty of dirt free and readily available in my back yard. I considered applying said dirt in a...
  13. R

Curved sectional track radii

Other than Atlas and Peco, do any other manufacturers offer curved sectional track (NON-integrated roadbed)? More importantly, anything larger than the 24-inch radius that Atlas offers? Jason.
  14. R

HO Kato Unitrack in yards

Greetings all. Based on many factors, I committed to Unitrack for my layout and have invested far too much at this point to switch. It is easy to use, performs well (except the turnouts), and looks great as a mainline. Now that I am adding structures to the layout, I am not very pleased with...
  15. R

Service yard rolling stock

Any suggestions for rolling stock likely to be found in a steam locomotive service yard? My layout is largely transition era with articulated steam. I have nearly completed construction on the ash pit, coaling tower, and sand tower. Service tracks are in place. I want to start looking for...
  16. R

steam locomotive service yard

Hello MRR's. My locomotive roster is comprised mainly of steam. I don't model any particular era. I would, however, like to model a locomotive service area that at least appears to have some utility. I have a roundhouse and turntable in place and operational. I'm in the process of building...
  17. R

Roundhouse lighting

I am near the end of construction on a 9-stall Walthers Modern Roundhouse. All that remains is gluing the two side walls and center roof plates in place. Initially, I decided against lighting as this fell outside the scope of what I wanted... at that time. After three months of work on paint...
  18. R

Walthers UP caboose color match

Greetings all. I recently acquired a set of Walthers UP subsidiary wood side cabooses (#932-37541). I will have some assembly to take care of as the set had never been opened. Assembly will involve attaching the sun shades (yellow in color) and hand rails (red in color, not the maroon color...
  19. R

Tuning a turnout

Hello all. Any tips for closing the gap between the point rail and stock rail in a Kato turnout? I model HO scale and have #6 turnouts, electric and manual, throughout my layout. My steam locos are able to navigate all but three of my turnouts. One is a #6 manual turnout that diverges into a...
  20. R

Newbie in northern Colorado

Greetings! I jumped back into model railroading about a year ago after a trip to the Greeley Freight Station Museum. I pulled my old Bachmann HO gear from storage and dusted it all off. Things have grown from there bit by bit and month by month after giving myself a modest "layout allowance."...

Back