Search results

1. K

QSI Mini Oval Speaker and Mni Oval Enclosure

i bought a QSI mini oval speaker and a QSI mini oval enclosure to go with it at my LHS. When I tried to fit the speaker in the enclosure, it wouldn't go. The speaker just sort sits on top. Is the speaker supposed to fit down into the enclosure? If so, is the enclosure designed so that...
  2. K

Scratch Building a Diesel Loco?

Lets's say I wanted to try to scratch build, paint and decal an HO GP38-2. There is no way I have the talent to build my own shell out of sheet styrene or something (is that even possible?). So where would I get parts for the shell (can, long hood, etc.) and where do you get frames...
  3. K

Styrene cutting Device?

Is there a device or tool that will help me make straighter cuts with sheet styrene ? I'm making a building with three sides (for a backdrop) 24" wide , 8" deep using 6"x 17" Evergreen styrene. I've had a hard time getting the edges straight. I've scored the styrene using a sharp Xacto...
  4. K

Noch Grassmaster vs. the other one

I've found another maker of a static grass applicator machine Here it is. http://www.grasstechusa.com/products.htm It's less expensive then the Noch one (about $140.00). Does anyone have any experience with this other one? Does it work as well as the Noch one? Thanks.
  5. K

Flat Roof for modern warehouse in HO

I want to build a modern warhouse with metal/corrugated walls but a flat roof in HO. I want it to be about 175 scale feet long x 60 scale feet wide. The flat roof is going to present a problem. How can I prevent it from sagging in the middle, short of making a bunch of tiny columns to hold...
  6. K

Really simple Electrical bus question.

When you wire an electrical bus under your layout there are actually two bus wires, right? One positive and one negative (or one for each of the rails) Thanks.
  7. K

How do I uncouple my cars?

Without lifting them off the track that is? I am building a small switching layout. I've to the track laid, but no scenery or structures. Nonetheless, tonight I did an imaginary operating session. Then I realzied that I don't know how to uncouple the cars? I tried a piece of styrene rod to...
  8. K

Scratch building modern steel industrial building in HO?

I plan to use Evergreen styrene corrugated siding sheets. They come in different spacing sizes i.e. the space between the grooves- .40, .60, .80, etc. Any suggestions as to what looks right for HO? Also, who makes roof top details ? (vents, hvac units, piping)?
  9. K

Great West Models HO structures?

I can't find anyplace that has these in stock. GWM has a website but calls go straight to voicemail and are not returned. Are they still in business? Anyone know of a place that stocks them or has some they'd like to sell? Thanks.
  10. K

Problem with Tsunami AT-1000

So I installed one of these in a nice Atlas Master GP38. The sound worked for a little bit, now it's screwed up. No sound when moving forward. When moving in reverse there's a low sound, but it gets garbled and is clearly not right. What's odd is that the motor function and...
  11. K

What are these Brass Loco models and why do they cost $900?

I assume they have more detail out of the box, but is it that much more than a good plastic loco? Do they run better? Hopefully a millionaire hobbiest who owns one of these will chime in ;)
  12. K

MU Jumper Cables for HO?

These are pretty prominent on the diesel pilot, but it don't see a lot of these modelled on HO scale locos. What do you use to model them? Thanks.
  13. K

Ground Throws?

Who makes groundthrows that look like the prototype ones that look like one half of a bow and are painted yellow. Google only turns up pages and pages of Caboose industries ground throws. Thanks.
  14. K

Athearn Wiring Question

I just wired an Athearn RTR for DCC using instructions I found on TCS Decoders site. The instruction said to solder the decoder's black wire to the frame as a ground. It isn't connected to the left wheel pickup like I'm used to . It's working so I'm not complaining. But I am curious. Why...
  15. K

Athearn GP40 Mechanical noise problem.

I put a Tsunami TSU-1000 into a brand new Athearn GP40-2 this weekend. The sound is great, but it's being marred by a mechanical clicking noise. The loco has also now started to shake a bit side to side when running at slow speed. I checked to make sure none of the decoder wires are...
  16. K

Shortening pins on 8 pin connector?

I have an Atlas MP15DC. There is very little room under the hood, but it does have an 8 pin socket. I got a very small Soundtraxx decoder (not sound) that has an 8 pin connector, no harness. But the pins make it still sit too high. So, do you think if I shortened the pins by snipping...
  17. K

Milling a frame with a Dremel? Doable?

I'm talking about making room for a speaker by cutting away part of the chassis or hollowing out the fuel tank. Anyone ever use a Dremel to do this? If so, can you explain how and what attachments/tools you used? Thanks.

Back