Search results

1. K

Bachmann Rs-3 DCC

If it's like the Bachmann GP38 you'll have to hardwire the decoder. I'm not aware of a drop in replacement board. But you should go on the manufacturers' websites to see if one exists (Soundtraxx, Loksound, QSI, Digitrax, MRC). You also need to figure out where you'll put the speaker. Take...
  2. K

My first scratchbuilt building.

I like it. One suggestion though. You don't usually see the prefab metal walls with the ribs running horizontally. I've only ever seen them running vertically.
  3. K

help, dcc-diesel

Is it possibly a loose wire? Have you reset the decoder to the factory default settings?
  4. K

4 x 10 Inquiry, HO

Cut it down to 2' wide or less and do a small switching layout.
  5. K

Soundtraxx Tsunami : Sound is very low

What is rhe CV to adjust Tsunamis for the size of the speaker?
  6. K

QSI Mini Oval Speaker and Mni Oval Enclosure

I tried it and you're right. Sounds fine and fits fine that way. I wish my LHS had told me this before I spent so much effort yesterday trying to figure out how to get it to fit solder tabs down. In fact, they told me i needed to drill holes in the enclosure the fit the wires in. I guess I'll...
  7. K

Weird. I've never heard of facing the speaker into the enclosure. Have you tried it this way? Can you hear anything? Anyone else have any experience with this?
  8. K

Ok. Thanks. Hopefully you'll be able to post the response you get from them.
  9. K

It's meant to sit in with the solder tabs facing out? Doesn't that mean the face of the speaker would be facing into the enclosure? How would the sound get out? Thanks.
  10. K

i bought a QSI mini oval speaker and a QSI mini oval enclosure to go with it at my LHS. When I tried to fit the speaker in the enclosure, it wouldn't go. The speaker just sort sits on top. Is the speaker supposed to fit down into the enclosure? If so, is the enclosure designed so that...
  11. K

My first scratch built structure

I think it looks great! Well done!
  12. K

Scratch Building a Diesel Loco?

I'm sure you're right. Id like to see some examples of true scratchbuilds and how they were done. Anyone know of any websites dealing with that?
  13. K

So what you're saying is only people who have access to a lathe, injection molding machine, etc can scratchbuild. It must be a very very small group of hobbyists.
  14. K

Styrene cutting Device?

I wanted to report in the sheet styrene cutting tool I got from Micromark. It's called "Duplicate it" and purports to help you cut straight, identical pieces of sheet styrene. It's a flat piece of Mdf with a bar clamp at one end and an adjustable stop at the other. You slip the sheet under...
  15. K

Lets's say I wanted to try to scratch build, paint and decal an HO GP38-2. There is no way I have the talent to build my own shell out of sheet styrene or something (is that even possible?). So where would I get parts for the shell (can, long hood, etc.) and where do you get frames...
  16. K

Exactrail goes direct

Whether this decision is short-sighted depends on how important you believe the LHS is to the hobby. I think people will still buy even if they can't purchase at a discount from an internet retailer. But will they buy, and will new blood be able to get into the hobby, without the ability...
  17. K

wire size from nce power cab?

I guess my mistake is thinking of electricity as water and the wires as pipes. A smaller pipe allows a smaller flow over the same period of time.
  18. K

wire size from nce power cab?

Can you explain why using the 18awg from the power source to the 14awg bus doesn't increase the resistance as long as the 18awg run is short? It's not intuitive certainly.
  19. K

Styrene cutting Device?

Update: I found that Micromark makes a device called "Duplucate it" which is a tool that they say allows you to make square cuts and duplicate them in styrene. At $21 it's not exactly cheap (considering its narrow purpose) but I've ordered it and will report on how well it works after I've tried...

Back