Search results

1. UPBigBoy

Tunnel openings

Is there a standard measurement for the openings to tunnels (HO scale) for single and twin tracks - width and height? Thanks in advance. Jim
  2. UPBigBoy

Another one out of the shop

Well we've got another one out of our paint shop and ready to take to Western Plains shops to have the handrails and couplers put on - And even sporting an open door Yes the fuel tank was hanging down, fixed now :D Now to finish off another Dash 8 then finish...
  3. UPBigBoy

Western Plains Dash 8-40

Western Plains Corp will be receiving their first Dash 8-40 shortly. It will be delivered to their engine shop to get fitted with the handrails and couplers plus a decoder board to run the engine plus all lights including the ditch lights. Everything on this one is...
  4. UPBigBoy

Resistor heat

OK, here's one question I've never seen; when using a resistor to lower the voltage to an LED (3 volts operating voltage) most would use a 470 OHM resistor but if one used a 1K OHM resistor, which one would get hotter, also which one would give the longest life for both the resistor and the LED...
  5. UPBigBoy

High shipping

What are people really thinking? Talk about high shipping charges - if the seller can't make a profit on the sale of this item he sure is going to make it on shipping :D http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TYCO-SWITCHER-57-/180911153748?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2a1f252254#ht_500wt_1076
  6. UPBigBoy

Cookie Cutter Foam

Has anyone that is using just foam for the table top tried to use the cookie cutter method and if so how did it work? What thickness of foam did you use and what are you using for road bed? Also how was the noise factor over a plywood base under the foam? Thanks in advance for your reply Jim
  7. UPBigBoy

CPR Steamlined coaches

Seeing I'm doing the transition era :confused:, I was looking for some colour pictures of CPR streamlined passenger cars when they still had the Tuscan strip over the windows. I'm trying to see the font as as far as I know they were lettered with Canadian Pacific and not CPRail as they were...
  8. UPBigBoy

0402 LEDs

Can 2 0402 LEDs be run off 1 470OHM resistor wired in parallel or would series work better? This is on a HO scale DCC system.
  9. UPBigBoy

New DullCoat

Has anyone else had a problem with the new dullcoat? I've tried to thin it with lacquer thinner and tuluol either using each alone and also combining them but what happens is the dullcoat is drying with a white haze to it and in some spots actually turning the finish white. Anyone else having...
  10. UPBigBoy

PC Board Ties

Where is the best place to buy PC Board ties for switches (HO Scale). I used to build switches right in place but want to build some seperate from the layout. The best service/supply/price would be nice. Thanks in advance Jim
  11. UPBigBoy

Poly Scale Red

Has anyone used Poly Scale #404061 CP Red? I'm wondering how close it is to a CPR colour as the paint in the bottle looks more orange than red. Any comments? Thanks Jim
  12. UPBigBoy

Not Sure

Not sure but I think this is a Baldwin switcher but I'm not sure which model, also I'm not sure who made the shell? Sorry for the poor picture, but Thank You for your help
  13. UPBigBoy

CPR Passenger Cars

I'm looking for the names and numbers of both the heavy weight and streamline CPR passenger cars. Does anyone know where I can find this information? Thanks in advance. Jim
  14. UPBigBoy

Western Plains - first engine out

well we started with this when we first painted it Then we added LED ditch lights, LED front and rear main lights, then the president of Western Plains said he wanted this engine to look like it was a well used but not looked after yard engine so this is what it looks like after it left our...
  15. UPBigBoy

Oops

Just a word of warning - I had an area to mask off but it had some really hard areas to try and get masking tape into; I get one thin piece in where the edge was so I thought - I had a bottle of Micro Mask around and I've used it before with good results. So I applied the Micro Mask to the...
  16. UPBigBoy

Ouch

This roundhouse looks nice but REALLY - $979.00 when the kit has a price on it for $295.00? Talk about inflation!!!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTH-RIVER-MODEL-WORKS-SRMW-HO-SCALE-KIT-160-STONE-ROUNDHOUSE-/260971668313?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3cc31fa359#ht_856wt_1059
  17. UPBigBoy

Manufacturer?

We know this is a model of a Trainmaster but don't know who manufactured it. We would like to see if we can get trucks and motor/s for it if not too expensive It came with metal stanchions and railings. Thanks for any help Jim
  18. UPBigBoy

Truck versus body mount couplers

Is it better to change the couplers on a Athearn @1143 work/baggage car to the body/frame from the truck mounted coupler or just put the Kadee coupler in the truck mount? Thanks in advance Jim
  19. UPBigBoy

Coolie Cutter

Cookie Cutter When building a cookie-cutter layout, has anyone used straight foam - 1 to 2 inch thick instead of plywood? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
  20. UPBigBoy

New paint jobs

Just a few of my new paint jobs of our own rolling stock, sorry about the dust as they were just taken out of storage - What do you think :confused:?

Back