Search results

1. Iron Horseman

Marx then = Lionel now

Looks like Lionel now has the old tooling from 1960's Marx HO scale stuff. I noticed the short covered cement hopper car first, then the round top new englandish looking caboose, then the tank car. The only difference I can see is they now have McHenry couplers rather than horn hooks. Marx...
  2. Iron Horseman

Starting another new module.

Since the big move started 2 years ago the trains have been sort of put on hold. Got this new big house and there is still no room for a layout (how does that work). Anyway I also joined a local group that just started a modular layout. Despite having umm 16ish modules from previous places...
  3. Iron Horseman

Walther's NMRBO Semi-Finalist

So a few months ago I posted wondering if anyone was going to enter. Well I did. I was informed that I am a semi-finalist. I hooked up with a non-model railroader fellow so that we could enter into the "teams" category instead of individual. I thought perhaps he would get the model...
  4. Iron Horseman

Walther's NMRBO contest

Is anyone else planning on entering the layout scene contest Walthers is hosting? Mostly just curious. I found a couple of the packages contents to be a bit odd. One has two grain elevators in it. Another is mostly roads and plants. The packages are hardly discounted at all (maybe 5%)...
  5. Iron Horseman

Cheap LEDs

Everyone who wants 3mm LEDs and don't mind doing a little work for them, now is the time to head to the local Walmart store. They have marked the left over Christmas stuff 90% off, including lighting. I got a box of 50 for $0.69. Just over 1 cent each. As I took one apart I also found they...
  6. Iron Horseman

The Christmas Trains

No Christmas Forest this year but I still put up a couple trees.
  7. Iron Horseman

Prototype Trivia Qustion

Got this from the coffee shop. Three of these four photos show non-EMD locomotives. Probably a pretty close to real ratio on the SP&S as they greatly favored ALCO locomotives. the trivia question is WHY. Why did the SP&S favor ALCO and have such a huge roster of their diesels?
  8. Iron Horseman

Searching for Threads and Posts

There is a lot of good information on this forum that I cannot find due to the search capabilities (or lack there of). Seems there used to be an option for searching between two dates, or messages "older than". Also I cannot find any way to combine two keywords with AND. I've tried...
  9. Iron Horseman

A model railroad heartbreak?

It is very sad when someone's model railroad empire is lost when they pass from this world. Most recently the museum received a donation from one such situation. None of the children wanted to deal with their father's trains so they just ripped them up and dumped them at the museum...
  10. Iron Horseman

Model Railway Station Identification

Can anyone identify what company manufactured the station kit pictured below? I picked it up already built, second hand, at a swap meet, garage sale, or the like. Fits perfectly on my office's layout but I am not willing to donate it. Want to buy them a new one. I have been looking all...
  11. Iron Horseman

Newest Additions to Locomotive Roster ...

We have done the post your roster type of threads before where people put huge lists of stuff in that is interesting to read for the first 5-6 posts and then becomes tedious. This thread is not for that. This thread is inspired by Bruette's recent thread on his new GG1. We had a great...
  12. Iron Horseman

Differences in various F units.

. The only guaranteed distinction between an F9 and an F7 is the presence of a body vent to the front of the forward port hole. F9s have them F7s don't. So I would say, "No, not many people would even notice that difference". However there is a much bigger issue with the F7s. F9s are...
  13. Iron Horseman

The Louisville Railroad

On an earlier thread I posted that my office decided to install a model railroad. The idea is a locomotive decorated for our company would be pulling around freight cars of all our clients. So here is a thread to share the progress of this railroad as it speeds toward its First completion...
  14. Iron Horseman

Double Track Wooden Trestle

Can anyone think of an instance where a wooden trestle is used for a double track line. In all the photo's I've seen through the years I cannot think of a single instance of such a thing.
  15. Iron Horseman

I stepped in it now. New Layout due April 15th.

For years I've been saying we needed a model railroad in the office. Now, as we are just finishing a re-model the boss wants a model railroad. Not just a model railroad but one that is front and center as clients enter the building. So now I have a budget of $4500 to make this showcase...
  16. Iron Horseman

Two lost ties, Oh the horror!

Working on the HO scale modulars for the Christmas Forest, I found I had to replace a section of track with an 18" radius "S" curve. Attempt fit, file, fit again, etc. Get all done and put it in for permanent - SNAP! I lost two ties on the one end. First ties I've lost working with flex...
  17. Iron Horseman

One step closer to a UP calendar photo.

For several years I've been trying to get a photo into the Union Pacific or Norfolk Southern calendar. While I've not been successful with that, one of my submissions got off the UP employee's page and onto being the first photo on the official UPRR instagram page. Yea! instagram.com/uprr
  18. Iron Horseman

Need help finding an illustration

I need to find the cartoon drawing showing the people associated with running a railroad through time. It has frames from top to bottom time wise. The top shows a short train and all the 30-50 people necessary to run it. Moving down it shows longer train with fewer people. At the bottom...
  19. Iron Horseman

Christmas #32

Thirty two years ago I purchased three little 4-4-0s at a 90% off clearance sale at "Mile High Hobbies" in Downtown Denver. The Mountain Central unit was in a set with two passenger cars. For 32 years it has been faithfully performing Christmas Tree duty for both singular trees and in the...
  20. Iron Horseman

The Gulf Colorado & Santa Fe

Surprise, surprise, I open the November issue of Model Railroader and start seeing photos that look very familiar. So I flip back to look at the title of the article and find out they look familiar because it is a railroad I used to operate on years back. Unfortunately I also participated...

Back