Search results

1. Iron Horseman

M.B.Klein sold

Yes, I got a letter from Factory Direct Hobbies about a month ago that said they had purchased them. And the new site remembers my password and old orders.
  2. Iron Horseman

Trying to understand Kato numbering system

You are exactly correct. 106-060 is production from 2008 106-061 is production from 2011 106-062 is production from 2017 106-063 is production from 2021 There is some variation in the car numbers between the sets, but there are overlapping numbers too. The set 060 is more similar to the 062...
  3. Iron Horseman

Possible 4'x 8' Track Plan

Much better than the prior first try. Less track that is parallel to the edges of the layout space. Do you really want the branch to be a loop? More interesting, and realistic, if the train works out to the end, reverses, and comes back.
  4. Iron Horseman

N gauge track

In N-scale I've seen preformed track down to 7 3/4", and apparently from the above post down to 6" radius. But...big but... as the others suggest I would not go that small. It limits the equipment you can run, and limits the performance. I used Atlas 9.75" radius all the time and it worked...
  5. Iron Horseman

Model RR mags

Ha! I know that feeling. The club waffled for months trying to decide which system to go with. So with them I got the Lenz. Then I needed a more simple set for a project and bought a Digitrax Zephyr when they were first out (and cheap). Then I started at the museum and they used NCE, so I...
  6. Iron Horseman

Model RR mags

If you waited until DCC in 1993, you fought with all those things missing a over a decade of command control. CTC-16 came out in 1979, and PMP-112 by at least 1983, still tethered but one did not have to stop the train. Our club went then went Railcommand (1986?) because of the wireless...
  7. Iron Horseman

Model RR mags

Atlas are rock solid. I've had some for over 60 years now, still going strong. I don't know about too much DCC. For me it is too many pictures and not enough words to back the pictures up. Sort of like a children's story book rather than a "good read".
  8. Iron Horseman

Identifying manufacturer

I'm not certain about "in general", but on the Santa Fe, there were only a few caboose which were refurbished in 1975 that were given the ASF 2 coil spring trucks, all the rest were leaf springs. Even their last order of new wide vision caboose (6 months before caboose were no longer mandated)...
  9. Iron Horseman

Identifying manufacturer

I agree. The chimney support "wires", the triangular upper ladder handles, and the Train Miniature type trucks are giveaways. I am surprised though that it has coil springs rather than leaf springs.
  10. Iron Horseman

Steam or Diesel Locomotives?

I didn't realize there was any place to turn the locomotive in Sterling! I usually just chased the Cheyenne Frontier Days trains. Being an employee I could catch the deadhead moves the day before and the day after, but then they got smart and started turning those into pay excursions also...
  11. Iron Horseman

Trains.com

I've always said that too. There is a reason real railroads have to pay people to do this stuff. And I ignored my own advice and bought the Microsoft Trains Simulator. Gag, sitting there 8 hours at a keyboard cab going across Montana, pressing the "I'm still awake" button..... In real or...
  12. Iron Horseman

Trains.com

I suppose I will always retain my subscription, just to support the hobby if nothing else. I don't do videos so I never subscribed to that and so obviously cannot provide anything aobut the new one. As to the resulting conversation about the site on the other side of the tracks, for some...
  13. Iron Horseman

Newbe with some questrions

There is also Atlas Right Track Software. Originally it was a purchase product, then they made it free, then they went back to purchase. Here is version #10, however as the comments say it is not as good as version 8 was. Version 8 has to be out there somewhere if you look long enough...
  14. Iron Horseman

FasTrack CrossOver 22 Degree Setup

So you are planning on running two trains on the one track. 153cs are for tubular track. With Fastracks you will need two or four more 6-12060 block sections. Two if trains will always be running the same direction 4 if they will run both directions. Basically get two relays and connect...
  15. Iron Horseman

Steam or Diesel Locomotives?

Definitely an Oriental Limited Powerhouse then. Which one did you end up with? Through the years I have accumulated three. The MiniSound II was my first in 1982. And later two of the full Sound System IIs. Have trouble with the cassette drives. I keep meaning to create a CD or digital...
  16. Iron Horseman

PWM issue

First the Model Power controller is not going to be a regulated supply. Its open voltage is going to be much higher than it will be with a load. So I don't know how it would interpret the "load" of a PWM. What does it show when there is a motor on the output of the PWM? I do know that...
  17. Iron Horseman

Introduction

Either is possible, or not. We are all responsible for chatting with the guests. I talk to so many folks each day it is hard to say, but I am not the very large guy that often shows people the staging area.
  18. Iron Horseman

Introduction

I was born in Pueblo and lived up the mountains in Beulah. Then a bunch of stuff, and moved to Denver (Well, Littleton) in 1983. My current official office is in Louisville (another reason I drive by Cheney all the time - to get to work). My daughters farm is just east of DIA. In fact...
  19. Iron Horseman

Introduction

From? I'm a native Coloradoan. However life has taken me all over. And seems I have "finally" landed near Wichita. I have two properties right now in Clearwater and Hudson. Cheney is between so I drive by all the time. It is also the location of the Sedgwick County Fair each year. I...
  20. Iron Horseman

Introduction

Where abouts? Kansas is a big place.

Back