Search results

1. B

Aethern RTR SD-45

I think I know the answer all ready, but want to ask any way. I was looking at one today, it would go with my GP35's, Would it work on 18 curves #4 turnouts?? I know it would be better to be on 22 and #6's. I do not even have a track plan picked out and was ready to order the SD45 :) Buzz.
  2. B

projects and more projects

Have you had the issue where you really, really want to do a project, yet you have to complete several projects just to get to the point of starting the one you want? Getting the garage clean was a giant leap forward to doing any and all other projects. I am about 85-90% complete there...
  3. B

Wood type versus cost versus strength?

I will be starting a simple 4x8 real soon. It is something to mess around and relearn what I have forgotten. It will be a simple layout, oval, maybe a twice around, little bit of switching. I am looking at the cost of the wood to build the base. I do like working with Alder, Popular woods...
  4. B

Bachman spec GP-40?

With the temps heating up where I live, I won't be doing much out side for a while so I was thinking of building a small n scale layout in a corner of my computer/office/storage/exercise room. I have about 6X3 to work with. It is not going to be a super duper layout, but something to mess with...
  5. B

railroad tie color?

I have been trying to find a color that is sort of close to the older railroad ties. What color is creosote? I have mixed a couple browns, black, reds, umbers and have not gotten anything like what I want. I am looking for ties from the south west. Thanks. Buzz.
  6. B

remove, replace decal?

I have (5) Athearn BB GP-35's. They all have the same number. I would like to take off one or two of the number decals and replace it so I have (5) different numbered engines. Is there an easy way to remove them? What font or decal sheet matches the numbering? I really do not want to...
  7. B

20 year old Athearn Blue Box

Well I finished my DCC install of my BB GP-35. I had fun doing it. I did find out how bright 1.5v bulb's are when they are hit with 12v. Super duper bright for .01 seconds. I had a bag of unknown bulbs. I did not have the harness so I did a hard wired job on it. Had to pull motor, remove...
  8. B

Not sure I like it?

I was bored out of my chair today. It has been really warm and humid so I have just sort of flopped round. I figured I would mess around with my $8.00 girders. I cut them free, filed, sanded and glued them all up. Primed and applied just enough color to sort of cover it. I used a rust/red...
  9. B

Ulrich Models?

I was at the LHS today looking for detail parts for my GP-35. As I was checking out the car kits. I see a box priced at $8.00. Cool it is a SP flat car. I do a quicky look in the box and grab it. I get home and take it out of the box. This is not the type of kit I was expecting. It has...
  10. B

I knew better, but.....

Did it any way. I went to one of the LHS's to get a book, and some detail parts for my Blue Box GP-35. Well this one did not have the detail parts but they did have a really nice RTR Athearn GP-35. I looked at it and then walked around, picked up a few packs of sectional track, went back to...
  11. B

E8's

I have an older Life Like E8 in SP daylight. It has been abused beyond belief. So I was curios to see if they were still out there. I found one online and was surprised that the Life Like cost more then the KATO? My Life Like did run very well and never gave me any problems. Are they the...
  12. B

Changes? Thoughts?

After a lot of work, still more to do, I have acquired some space to place a layout. I have 5 feet wide by almost 15 feet to use. It has to be a free standing, movable, left up on pulley's, layout. I had my old N scale 12x12 lift up on pulleys out of the way so this should not be to hard to...
  13. B

Almost pulled the trigger

I have been shopping for stuff that catches my eye. I have a large box of HO stuff and just recently opened it and started to look at it again. I have a MRC Prodigy Advance that has a total of about two hours worth of use on it. All boxed and pretty. Most of the stuff is in the box, packed...
  14. B

Old track

Going through my collection of stuff that has been stored for 10 plus years, I found a bunch of brass track. There is enough to do a over under with a few switches. Say about a standard 4'X8' layout. I never used it when I had my layout. Is there a use for it other then a non working...
  15. B

Another DCC question

I have an older MRC AD370 sound decoder. I have the sound and forward reverse all setup. That is working very well. Now, after frying the light bulbs I have new ones. I have this plugged in with the 8 pin circuit board. The decoder comes with a 10 pin JST plug so it does not really plug...
  16. B

YES then DOH

I picked up a garage sale special. It is an athearn F59phi with (6) cars. All have the original boxes and looked like they had never been run. The engine did not work. I paid $10.00 for the engine and $5.00 for each car. I also picked up a box with parts and assorted junk for $15.00 Well...
  17. B

Athearn FP59PHI

I just ordered one and 5 cars to go with it. I also ordered a diesel decoder to that needs to be installed in it. Now I just need to know how to install the decoder. I have read about the install in other Athearn loco's, so it does not sound to hard. The decoder is an MRC unit. I also...

Back