Search results

1. S

Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

It's all comming together nicely. I'm in the process of a similar HOn3 logging road, but decided to try foam for a hillside. I've broken two electric carving knives so far, so the cardboard and netting (or strips) will be the way I go. That's a lot of ground to cover with WS cloth. Pretty...
  2. S

Block protection (newie to DCC)

Well, I.m an electrician by trade.. and a Scotsman on my fathers side, so I'll stick with the fuses. Those CB boards are selling for $30/40 a piece. I do have a meter, the fuses are just there to protect the engine/system. I'd rather spend the money on another Blackstone C-19. What a beauty!:)
  3. S

Block protection (newie to DCC)

Just getting started at wiring up a new Digitax DCC system on a moderate (when complete) room size layout. I read with interest the question and answers about block detection and have seen some articles about isolating the layout into blocks to ease troubleshooting down the road. The one...
  4. S

Digitrax vs. NCE USB Adapter

If you've got a newer laptop pc, they don't HAVE serial ports. (And try to find Winterm in the VISTA operating system!)
  5. S

“rule of thumb” on Narrow gauge rolling stock sizes

Thanks to all that have responed! A wealth of information. Looks like I'll have some benchtime comming up, populating my layout. Oh boy! SAJ
  6. S

“rule of thumb” on Narrow gauge rolling stock sizes

I’ve managed to build a couple HOn3 wheel sets from Kadee, and mount them on an old MDC platform car. I shortened the car by cutting about an inch and half from the middle, but did not narrow it. Needless to say, it does not look right. Does anyone have advice or websites that can give me a...
  7. S

Painting brass locomotives

Thanks for the good advice I can paint a bit, and usually clean the castings with Benchly bleachwihte (but thats for resin stuff). I have found a local RR shop in town, I need to visit, spend some money, and see about joining a club to find some talented people.
  8. S

Painting brass locomotives

I received some good advice from Waltr and Bobh regarding Hon3 motive power, and now have a few more questions. I really like the shays listed on Shayfixer.com, and may purchase one from that shop. However, I’d like to run it in typical colors (black). Given this is a PFM brass loco; will I...
  9. S

Narrow guage motive power

Thanks, I'll check that out!
  10. S

I knew what I signed up for Thanks to all that responded. Some excellent information. And yes, I’m looking at a line based on the D&RGW and Malcom Furrow’s (sorry for the spelling) book. When I decided to get back to MRR, I knew what I was in for. I’ve picked up an old MDC kit from E-bay...
  11. S

Another one starting out, more questions

Thanks for the information. I've decided that the space I have is just too small for a loop. It will have to be a dead-end yard, with maybe a roundtable.
  12. S

Thank you, Waltr for the information. I feel like I'm starting from scratch since the last time I did any railroading (model) the DCC stuff was all home built from a series of articles in Model Railroader mag!
  13. S

There seems to be a shortage of HOn3 motive stock available. I’ve found a few un-powered kits and only one ready to run. So, I have a few questions on the Blackstone K-27 (several versions). How does this model run, any problems? The flyer states DCC sound, but does that mean no control...
  14. S

Another one starting out, more questions

Well, looks like good timing. I’ve spent the last month clearing out the RR room, and studying books, websites (this one), and lurking on E-bay. The snow just started this AM and I’m ready to begin a small section of layout. I’ve got a small space between the main door and the “under the...
  15. S

Best source for track, and code questions (HOn3)

Thanks for the info and links Just what I needed. I've already purchased a few turnouts from micro, just to check the web shop and sizes.
  16. S

What's the diff, HOn3 and HOn30?? (nt)

Thanks to all that responded A wealth of information. I knew a bit about HOn3, as that's what I'm planning for on my layout. Surfing the shops I kept running into that pesky n30.
  17. S

Happy Halloween! Another Newbie

Thanks,photgdad I have a long way to go, and first I need to figure out how to post the photos I toook of the room, before the project started. Over 600# of stuff to the dump, more sold at g sale.
  18. S

What's the diff, HOn3 and HOn30?? (nt)

Got to have ten characters? OK, so I'm new here.
  19. S

Best source for track, and code questions (HOn3)

Just joined the forum, so here come some questions. Sorry if you old hands have heard it all before, but.. 1) For HOn3 flex track/turnouts, what code is best? Larger 70 seem to be easier to find, but how does 55 rate as far as a newbie running trains on it? 2) Where on the Internet...
  20. S

Super Cheap roadbed.

Thanks You're a man after my own mind. The local hobby shop is selling HO cork for $1.60/3ft! This sounds like about half cost with a little sweat equity.:D SAJ

Back