Search results

1. railfan

Mechanical Reefer

When I first heard the term mechanical reefer it wasn't long before I imagined it meant they connected some kind of gears or driveshaft to the reefer cars rolling wheels to drive a generator to power a refridgeration unit. I googled and found references that confirmed this. So far I haven't...
  2. railfan

How much do you pay? What are your limits?

I like buying rolling stock and have fun seeing it piling up in the train room......someday soon filling up a big yard on my layout. So far mostly coal hoppers, box cars, flat cars, gondolas. Favorite railroads are Union Pacific, ATSF, and BNSF. Can't say I'm really modeling anything in...
  3. railfan

Your Favorite Rolling Stock....what did you order?

I'm kind of excited having found and ordered two barely used N scale union pacific F3A's....one intermountain and one kato. I rarely see these for sale new or even used.......except occasionally on ebay and they usually command higher prices.
  4. railfan

MTL couplers reverse draft angle explained

I'm glad I found this article explaining how my favorite N scale couplers work.
  5. railfan

Digitrax Users Please Help

I was getting interested in digitrax DCC and came across this review. What do you make of this persons complaint? That the system has no way to read back the programmed CV or settings? Does this operator need more instruction? Or is he correct in his assessment of the issue? Seems to me for...
  6. railfan

Cable for JMRI ???

I have a MRC prodigy express DCC system and was thinking of trying to setup JMRI with it. I'm pretty sure the prodigy exp needs the version three software before it can run JMRI so I will need to make sure mine has V3 or get it. The MRC cable to go between my laptop and the prodigy box sells...
  7. railfan

Roundhouse brand (N scale)

Is anyone familiar with a brand of rolling stock called Roundhouse? Their items look good in photos.....but I've never seen any in person. I'm wondering how long roundhouse has been in business? Perhaps they are a spin-off of another more well known model company? Any info/opinions would help...
  8. railfan

flux paste for soldering flex track

Soon I'll be attempting to solder some N scale code 80 flex track sections together....for the first time. I've soldered a decent amount of copper pipe for plumbing in my time. And have soldered electronic equipment and wiring for RC aircraft and hi-fi gear. Of course I used flux on the copper...
  9. railfan

Bachmann DCC equipped GP-7

I'm thinking about giving the go ahead to my procurement division to pull the trigger on one of these beauties sometime in the potential near future.....hee ha! :) http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-N-GP-7-p/bac-62453.htm I wonder if they are dual flywheel all wheel...
  10. railfan

Does DCC make motors overheat?

I read this in the wikipedia article on how DCC works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Command_Control#How_DCC_works "However, because the raw power contains a heavy AC component, DC motors heat up much more quickly than they would on DC power, and some motor types (particularly...
  11. railfan

Too Much Track?

Things are a little slow here so I will just make up anything for something to do. When I'm lost in my model railroad daydreams I see images in my head like these photos below. Yes there could be a few more engines and railcars than on these empty tracks....in my visions. Lots of track and...
  12. railfan

Rapido Couplers

Less than a year ago when I first saw some N scale stock up close at a local hobby shop, I was in disbelief when the owner showed me two railcars, one with large clunky rapido couplers and another car with microtrains knuckle couplers. I am amazed manufacturers still make and sell stock with...
  13. railfan

wheel bearing feedback requested

I use N scale and sometimes I read about roller bearings and friction bearings in online descriptions of features of N rolling stock. I have about 90 different railcars, boxcars, tankers, hoppers, flatcars, baggage cars, gondolas. Many of them I bought used and when opening the packages after...
  14. railfan

Devastation in Oklahoma

Photos from Sundays train wreck in Oklahoma: http://ca.music.yahoo.com/photos/trains-collide-in-rural-oklahoma-slideshow/#crsl=%252Fphotos%252Ftrains-collide-in-rural-oklahoma-slideshow%252Ftrains-photo-1340668337.html
  15. railfan

Noisy Microtrains FT....two locomotive set

I bought my first and only microtrains brand loco a few months ago....an N scale EMD FT A+B set, two powered units connected with a drawbar just like the prototype. These are modern day, supposedly well made products and usually sell for around $150-175 when new. The asking price for this NEAR...
  16. railfan

Subject: Atlas code 80 switches

Don't have any switches installed on my layout yet.....and am fixing to try and sell (cheap) my cork covered door platform.....and then build a new larger U-shaped platform with 1/4" plywood.....but I digress. I've heard mixed reviews of atlas code 80 switches......and yet every brand, every...
  17. railfan

Reckless Collecting

Though ugly, I thought it might possibly be my duty to expose the insidious downward spiral that is one mans N scale rolling stock addiction. Addiction = that frightening lack of self control that somehow overtakes innocent, seemingly decent individuals, ultimately leaving them sometimes...
  18. railfan

Vintage Atlas Locos

If you've ever thought of buying older atlas N scale locomotives here is something I've noticed about them. If you look at bottom side you can see exposed gears on some trucks and not on others. On these particular ones it means NO GEARS = NO DRIVE. At least some, if not all, of these non-driven...
  19. railfan

scale conundrem

Both these boxcars claim to be 50 feet long according to the length stated on the labels. Who among us has the answer to this amazing paradox of apparent miscalculation? :) Mike
  20. railfan

Video of fast N train

Messing around today....making little tweaks and adjustments to several old rail cars to get them to stay connected and on the rails. Never thought they would finally work this good......so made this crude video....ha ha! :)...

Back