Search results

1. T

Basic wiring questions (Atlas switch machines)

Thanks! I admit that I already had a cheap needle-type multimeter from Radio shack (~$20). Now that I'm an electronics "genius" (heavy sarcasm there), I had to get a nicer digital-display meter (~$50) last week. Frankly, I was having difficulty making sense of what the needle was telling me -...
  2. T

If I may, I'd like to confirm my understanding of the "full wave bridge rectifier" section of the circuit. Based on the schematics in the links (thank you), can you confirm that the following portion will provide a DC power output from my AC input? Full capacitor-charged circuit: Portion...
  3. T

Thanks very much, Waltr. Your info makes things much easier to get an understanding of things.
  4. T

Thanks for your replies, guys. It's good to know that the switches will run off DC. Rather than bore you guys with loads of basic questions, what's the best inexpensive reference for this kind of basic model railroad wiring? I like Mark's idea of using the Atlas snap relay, but I assume I...
  5. T

I apologize in advance, but I'm pretty ignorant on wiring. I've already fried one switch solenoid and would like to avoid messing up anything else. I'd like to wire up some switch status indicators, and I've been searching, but every circuit out there either requires two separate switches or...
  6. T

Another new member here...

Thanks, Trussrod. I'll check the power levels at various points in the layout. The DCC setup has me puzzled, since the stalling/stuttering never occurs in the same location. I tried the burnishing technique mentioned in another thread; it made no difference. Frustrating.
  7. T

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I've certainly got plenty to learn - my few attempts at weathering have been pathetic. Yes, the layout is DCC. Unfortunately, I've been having difficulty getting the locos to respond smoothly to the DCC controller; since the layout is in the basement, the track...
  8. T

Hi everyone. I've been enjoying reading the forum for some time now and finally got signed up. Hopefully I can contribute to the forum, although I admit that my experience is limited. I've been working on a small N-scale layout for almost two years now. Since I don't trust my layout...

Back