Search results

1. Diesel-Electric

5 pole motors

Hello People, As some may know, I'm planning on buying an Athearn RTR SD40E (SD50) and also an Athearn RTR SD40-2, if finances permit next year. These will be my very first six axle units. Having experience with two Athearn RTR GP38-2s with 3 pole motors (the two above mentioned SDs come with...
  2. Diesel-Electric

Kadee Metal wheel sets and speed limits.

Hello people, I have 6 freight cars that have plastic wheels, one Walthers Trainline flat car, two Accurail 5600 series 50' boxcars and three Accurail 2000 series hopper cars. I wish to install metal wheels on them, and I've been looking at Kadee #520 33" metal wheels...
  3. Diesel-Electric

What switch size and brand should I select?

Hello there, I'm pretty sure this topic has popped up before, but here goes: I want to get new switches for my layout, as of now the plan was to get #6 switches. However, since I plan to get an Athearn SD40E (due next year) for my layout, I'm now wondering if I should go ahead think a...
  4. Diesel-Electric

Norfolk Southern SD40E pull local trains?

Hello there, Around two weeks ago I got an Athearn new products announcement. In that one of the new products were their RTR SD50 locomotives. Among the new road numbers was Norfolk Southern's SD40E (3 road numbers), and upon further research and seen pictures of them I couldn't help but...
  5. Diesel-Electric

My simple bare-bones around the room shelf layout

Hello People, I managed to get some grainy pictures (couldn't get a descent camera) of my 'bare-bone' layout. Please excuse the mess :rolleyes:. It is nothing at all compared to the layouts I see in this site and others, but I thought I'll share some pictures with you good people. Some...
  6. Diesel-Electric

Bachmann SD40-2

Hello there! People, I'm interested in getting a Bachmann SD40-2 with all-wheel-drive. 1. I need to know how the locomotive is (equipped with dual mode DCC chip) running on a DC layout? 2. How is the pulling power of this locomotive? That is, would it pull around 12-14 50' freight cars with...
  7. Diesel-Electric

Need some ideas on a lift out/bridge section.......

Hello there, I need a little help, this question is for modelers who have around the room shelf layouts: I'll be making a shelf layout soon (consisting mainly of 9 1/2" planks mounted on the wall with metal L brackets). I'm one who prefers to watch the train go by and therefore it will...
  8. Diesel-Electric

Code 83 track compatibility

Hello People, I'm kinda stuck at the moment, if to buy some code 83 ME flex track or Peco North American flex track. All my current track is Atlas code 83 sectional track, which one is more compatible with Atlas track? ME or Peco? Also, if You recommend a one or the other to work with...
  9. Diesel-Electric

Do Norfolk Southern or CSX run their NRE Gensets singly?

Hello there. For some reason I feel my question is odd, but.........:o I'm planning on purchasing another locomotive for my layout and my budget is enough to purchase one Atlas Trainman NRE Genset. I'm trying to be somewhat realistic in operation to the prototype, (I'm modeling a generic...
  10. Diesel-Electric

Driverless trains.........

For some reason, I find this story depressing: http://ozhouse.org/2012/02/20/australian-firm-plans-network-of-driverless-freight-trains-job-wipeout/...
  11. Diesel-Electric

Experience with my very first Athearn locomotive.....

Hello there, You guys remember my post on Athearn GP38-2 (and their diesels) asking if they were good? Well, I took the decision to go ahead and get one as there was positive replies. Yesturday after a long wait I received my very first Athearn locomotive: RTR GP38-2, Norfolk Southern #5287...
  12. Diesel-Electric

Brasseur Electric Trains

Hello there, Just like to know if anyone has purchased online from Brasseur Electric Trains. Like to know if their services/shipping options are good. Experience from anyone who has ordered from them online outside of the USA (international) will really help. Thanks in advance...
  13. Diesel-Electric

My small 4'4"x6" HO scale layout.......

Hello there! I've started on my very first permanent layout. The bench work is a metal frame, constructed from L shape bars, with a wooden planks on top with roughly equal spacing in between. On to the the top, I glued down sheets of 1 1/2" Styrofoam. The track is temporally pin down directly...
  14. Diesel-Electric

New Athearn box car paint coming off.

Hello there, I received 3 brand-new box cars 2 days ago, ordered online from MTS. Two of which Athearn and other Trainman. One of the Athearns, 50' box car in Patrick Industries colors: http://www.athearn.com/ProdInfo/LargeImages/ATH96907.jpg When I took this car out of the box to inspect...
  15. Diesel-Electric

Headlight LED color?

Hello there! I'm installing constant brightness/directional headlights to my diesel locomotives. I'm modeling a generic American branch line, era 2005-present, which employs 2nd generation diesels (GP38s, 40s etc etc) and I'm installing LED bulbs for the headlights. I like to know, what color...
  16. Diesel-Electric

Kadee metal wheelsets

Hello there, I need some info on the following Kadee metal wheel sets: http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page530.htm http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page520.htm What I need to know from anyone who have used these metal wheel sets, if the axle and the needle point of this metal wheel set also metal...
  17. Diesel-Electric

What is this hopper car?

Hello there, Can you good people out there tell me what this this type of hopper car is and what is generally transported in it? Here is the car: http://www.accurail.com/accurail/art/8000/8012.jpg Thanks in advance! D-E
  18. Diesel-Electric

Athearn GP38-2

Hello there, One of the items I'm getting for my new layout is a HO scale Athearn GP38-2. I have been reading around about the Athearn GP38-2 (and other Athearn diesels in general): there are modelers who seem to love these and also a group saying it's good as long as one "tunes" it up before...
  19. Diesel-Electric

Laying track..........

Hello there, I'm getting ready to build a layout on a custom made 4'4"x6" table. It will be a simple oval with one spur (maybe two in future) and I will be using Atlas Code 83 sectional track (NS). The base is Styrofoam. Since the track I'm using is sectional track with no roadbed, would it...
  20. Diesel-Electric

Hello from Sri Lanka

Hello there! Hello from me to all at Model Railroad Forum:)! As title mention, I'm from Sri-Lanka, I model American prototype in HO scale. Currently getting ready to build a 4'4''x6' layout. It will be a generic branch line, single track, based on what I've seen from pictures of American...

Back