Search results

1. T

Beginner Help

Lionel don't produce anything in N as far as I know. The big name brands are Atlas, Kato & Athearn, and then you have companies that don't seem to release as much/aren't as common like InterMountain and Fox Valley Models. That is for locos. For rolling stock there are a lot more players, but I...
  2. T

Microtrains Couplers - What do you do when they come apart?

I'm a bit late the party but the MT boxes aren't so bad once you've done a few. :) I can confirm though that assembling the ones already on a truck is much harder than the ones intended for body-mounting. Taking the wheels out first helps but it's still a pain. If the 'lid' of the coupler...
  3. T

Onboard video of my club's N scale layout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ynt-ecY2dM My Burlington Northern freight, 30-40 cars from memory, goes through a reversing loop then chases another mixed freight along the mainline for a full circuit. Keep an eye on the mountainside a little bit after the 6min mark. The layout is still a...
  4. T

Bachmann 0-6-0

I can't comment on the required prototypical model changes, but reduction gearing should be unnecessary! Electric motors generate full torque at 0RPM, so really the only pulling power limitation is traction.
  5. T

Golden state diesels

They used E7 diesels in a GS livery it would seem (http://espee.railfan.net/golden-state.html), but this was very shortlived and they were repainted into the Daylight scheme only a couple of years later. Can't help you after that!
  6. T

NCE PowerCab -> Digitrax <insert name here>, what do I need to know?

Update! Thanks again for all the replies, I ended up going with a Super Chief and will sell my PowerCab. The small saving I'd make by going with a lesser system or keeping both just didn't seem worth it. After reading the Digitrax manual cover-to-cover I'm finding that it's not so bad after all...
  7. T

I know it can't be this easy, but it worked...Running locos together...

There are 3 established ways of consisting, but sadly the names are interchanged a lot between companies which makes things unnecessarily confusing. Regardless, here goes! Basic consist Multiple locos are given the same address. The controller is sending each command once, but multiple locos...
  8. T

A short Micro-Trains documentary

I had this linked to me elsewhere and thought I'd share it here. It's a documentary on Micro-Trains and details the steps they go though when producing rolling stock. Well worth viewing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejMbatOekTg
  9. T

Track clearance

Note that not all containers are built equal! The containers that come with the Kato MAXI wellcars pictured above are 8' prototypes, however some others on offer (including by Kato) are 8'6" prototypes. The difference is noticable.
  10. T

N scale rolling stock storage project

Not to mention it's more enjoyable! I was actually pleasantly surprised with the costs, as in my experience when you ask for stuff like this to be made you pay a premium if not ordering in extreme quantities. I did ask the foam supplier if the price would change if I ordered more and he said not...
  11. T

Wpf 8-9 thru 8-11

More from me, the beginnings of a storage solution for my N scale collection- I posted a bit of a write-up on it in the N scale subforum for anyone interested in how it was done.
  12. T

N scale rolling stock storage project

With my joining a club recently it's become increasingly obvious that moving all my rolling stock to & from individual jewel cases every week is a massive pain in the arse. As you may be aware it seems that people who design carry cases for model trains only bother with HO. I did find an ebay...
  13. T

Wpf 8-9 thru 8-11

Rivet-counters please put down your pitchforks, at least one of those containers is bound to house a hobo or two so technically this IS a passenger train ;)
  14. T

Here's my layout so far...

Looks good! Might I suggest though that when uploading to Youtube you ignore any image stabilization 'help' it tries to apply to your video. It will help if the camera is not supposed to be moving, but when panning around the scene it causes everything to warp and distort. :) Are you leaving...
  15. T

Weekly Photo Fun 8-2 - 8-8

I moved house recently and have just joined a local club with a pretty large N layout. I took my Camera Car with me lastnight, here's a shot from the resulting footage-
  16. T

Pointers needed to sell N-scale items

Are we talking modern models (as in date of manufacture, not prototype age) or older stuff pre-dating DCC? If it's newer stuff then post pictures (one item per shot if you can) and you're bound to get some hits on these very boards. :) Generally speaking, old = junk with a couple of...
  17. T

Your Favorite Rolling Stock....what did you order?

Oh no! ;) My favourites (at the moment) are my Atlas 85' trash container cars, which my railroad has repurposed to general intermodal duties. I got 9 of these for $10 each at an MB Klein sale and at that price I sorta wish I had've sprung for more of them. Either way, coupled with my...
  18. T

If I connect the DT402 to a Zephyr, does the number of slots increase or is that restricted by the Zephyr's base station component? At the very least I'm going to need a DT402 for the club layouts. Semi-related question about the slots- I currently do advanced consisting, but Digitrax's...
  19. T

Yep, regular old network cable for the PowerCab, although you have to make sure it's the right kind (I forget if it needs crossover or straight-through). Upon further research it looks like the Zephyr can only remember 10 locos at a time, which would be a problem for me as I like the consists...
  20. T

Re: keeping NCE at home and getting a DT402 for the club, couple of reasons why I didn't mention it. First of all I incorrectly assumed I could sell my PowerCab (which go for $200 locally, not everyone in Australia imports) and switch to a comparable Digitrax handheld with little to no monetary...

Back