Search results

1. armyairforce

My Garden Railway Build - 1/1 Scale :-)

No, because it will block the view for my astronomical observatory.
  2. armyairforce

We are still looking for some more Purple Rock Cress, to make a more solid boundary between the plants and the ballast. Other than that, for now, the planting is done and we need to wait and let everything grow and spread. Next year, we can take another look and see if anything died and whether...
  3. armyairforce

It took a little rethinking of where some of the plants would go, because the replacements were the wrong colour or would spread further or not as far as planned. Obviously they need to grow and fill out the area properly, so it still looks a bit thin for now. The pictures below show the...
  4. armyairforce

April 13th On the 13th, we had another push on the railway embankment. After dropping my daughter off to see some friends, Lynne and I continued to a garden centre and splashed out on more plants, compost and some small garden tools. By the time we got back home, it was lunch time, but...
  5. armyairforce

Many years ago, my dad and I did a narrow gauge World War 1 layout, with a bombed out town, airfield and trenches at the front lines. Somewhere around 1980/81 I think. We scratch built a few locos and rolling stock. There were aircraft on the airfield and flying over the trenches. It was an...
  6. armyairforce

All All my layouts over the years have had some kind of military or aviation theme. Several have had Jeeps on. Here's "Kingman, AZ" the location of Storage Depot 41 where thousands of WW2 planes were scrapped after the war.
  7. armyairforce

:-) She was pulling out of the junction opposite, which is difficult to see down the main road one direction. I think she saw a gap, put her foot down to get out, then hit the ice on the top of the camber in the centre of the road. From that point on-wards, she was a passenger! She wasn't hurt...
  8. armyairforce

It's a busy road, so I think it will naturally weather fairly quickly, however, weathering with paint has already crossed my mind!! :)
  9. armyairforce

For those who are green fingered, here's what we have planted so far. It's so close to being finished in this area. I'm looking forwards to seeing the rest planted, though it is going to look a little thin for a while until the plants get established and spread out.
  10. armyairforce

In early April, I spent a day weeding the small border along the hawthorn hedge - 70 feet out of 100 feet. I've left the bit behind the garage for now. I then dug in a load of sand to help break up the clay soil and help drainage. A week ago, Lynne and I went to a few local garden centres and...
  11. armyairforce

It's been a while since I updated this thread. I want to finish the story of the garden rework, which is almost complete. I left the story with news that was garden wall rearranged, thanks to an icy road and a BMW that buried itself in my front garden wall and snapped the telegraph pole in...
  12. armyairforce

I might have more wall building to do after this morning. At about 7:15am, I think due to icy roads, someone buried their BMW in our front garden wall, also snapping off the top eight feet of the telegraph pole through whiplash! Phone lines and internet down for us and our neighbours!
  13. armyairforce

What was worse, is that in the best traditions of British Rail, it was the "Wrong type of snow", so all trains were cancelled again! and we'd only just recovered from the leaf tragedy! 😁 So here's my wall today, December 2nd, lost under a plastic sheet, several more blankets and a couple of...
  14. armyairforce

November 28th By the end of the 28th, I'd got two courses of cleaned up bricks, rebuilt into the wall. Towards the end of the day, the temperature began to drop, so it was all covered in some fleece blankets. November 30th Thursday the 30th dawned very cold and very white. With very cold...
  15. armyairforce

Tragedy struck the Carr household on Sunday the 12th. It was bound to happen sooner or later..... Leaf on the line!! I'm working on a replacement bus service!!
  16. armyairforce

I'm planning to add a six feet tall fence, next to the garage door, blocking the path access from the front for better security. I also need a low fence to fill the gap in the fence, currently filled with a shipping pallet. We're well into the Autumn/Winter weather now, so my next...
  17. armyairforce

The last stretch took two full paving slabs and a twelve inch cut slab, which were laid on November 5th. At some point, I need to build a low retaining wall next to the path behind the garage, due to the ground height along side the path. I also want to make a gutter along the rest of the...
  18. armyairforce

October 26th ~ November 5th From late October to early November, I was working on the path behind the garage. There was a lot of earth to dig out, around two and a half 850Kg bulk bags worth. Foundations were prepared, paving laid and repeat. The area of the last three slabs was tarmac...
  19. armyairforce

October 23rd The final paving stone was cut and laid on the 23rd of October, along with a 10 inch tall slab cut and fitted vertically to end the path and hold back the earth and gravel behind. Poor weather is delaying further work right now, but the next stage will be to clear out the...
  20. armyairforce

I still have one last chair screw to fit, the "Golden Spike". I'll probably hold off fitting that until all the flowers are planted in the embankment in the Spring next year.

Back