Search results

1. rhoward

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Evenin' folks! Remember: "You can't get too much winter in the winter!" - Robert Frost 73
  2. rhoward

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Yep! that is what I teach visitors at the Museum. From Wikipedia: " An interesting feature of most RPO cars was a hook that could be used to snatch a leather or canvas pouch of outgoing mail hanging on a track-side mail crane at smaller towns where the train did not stop. The first US patent...
  3. rhoward

Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

I do have a right to defend myself! That is clearly in NYS Law. He hits me, I can defend myself! I don't have the right to beat him up though. So he takes a swing at me in front of the Vice-Principal as a witness, I can take him down. No-one losses the right to defend themselves. I have...
  4. rhoward

Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

Evenin' folks... haven't been in for a while but have been skimming through comments. Curt, your wife's advise is right on the money. I was a teacher for 32 years of my 48 years as a professional musician. During several years I was having a principal tell me to do things which were simple...
  5. rhoward

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

"A Jury consists of 12 people chosen to decide who has the better lawyer." - Robert Frost Yeah, I'm back again...... Didn't bother for a couple weeks while all I got was the Red Warning Screen. Nothin' new to report except that I have been busier than a Cat covering Poop on a marble floor...
  6. rhoward

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Howdy folks! Been a while since I posted over here. I have been resting in the back booth nursing a cup of decaf from time time though...... For a while there I thought I was somehow lost and ended up in a shoot 'em up gun forum..... Figured out I just caught some off topic conversation and...
  7. rhoward

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXV

Evenin' Gents...... Been busier than a cat covering poop on a marble floor. Just haven't had much time to do more than scan through some posts here. On the subject of Forum Rules, there is a link right at the bottom of the page that will take you to them. The link is in the box labeled...
  8. rhoward

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

Hi "Toot", That is correct, except, I would add the main value of the light bulb is that it provides resistance and limits the amount of current that can go through the circuit. therein lies it's effectiveness for circuit protection. 1 amp is a lot less current than the 5 amps provided from...
  9. rhoward

Afternoon folks.... Been busier than a cat covering poop on a marble floor lately! I have been popping in now and then to keep up with what has been going on but had not much to say. Terry. Really amazed to hear you have been having any problems with NCE. As far as I have always heard they...
  10. rhoward

3"........ LOL Actually Montanan's answer is correct. There is also some period differences in how the wheels were made, so if you want to be absolutely prototypical, be sure to do some research and use the wheel sets (axles) that were used in your time period......
  11. rhoward

The NMRA and you?

Hi Mark, You are correct that if you live in an inactive Division and your Region doesn't offer their Newsletter online as a service to all its members, there may not be a whole lot of benefit for you to be a member. I do know that National is very aware of these things and is working to...
  12. rhoward

The NMRA and you?

Mark, I read this a couple days ago and it has been bugging me ever since.... You have some incorrect and misleading information here. Let me try to answer your statements. Joining the NMRA is just like a boy joining the Boy Scouts of America. When a boy turns in the application and the...
  13. rhoward

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIII

Johnny, I spent a summer working for the Phone Company way back when I was in College.... That was a long time ago and the technology was very new. I had to punch wires from a 50 pair cable into a junction box with a special tool. Found out that the phone company when back into (Zerox Tower...
  14. rhoward

Mornin' everyone! (Yaaaawwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn) Ah, Zoe, I'll have a couple left over donuts from the NMRA Meet yesterday and a very large pot of Seneca Lake Blend Dark Roast coffee this morning, please! Well, I survived the Meet yesterday. My clinic went well and was well received. I came home...
  15. rhoward

"We're Havin' a Heat Wave..... Tropical Heat Wave!" Man, I'm glad I don't live down there.... (Actually I am Glad I don't live down there... I have relatives down there. :p) Up here in the Great State of confusion... er New York, we have 4 Seasons. Yep, we have "Almost Winter, Winter...
  16. rhoward

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Evenin' Folks.... Karl, you ain't alone brother! Here in the Finger Lakes Region of NYS right now they estimate 90% of the 200,000 + RG&E and NYSEG utilities customers that have been without electricity for a couple days will be back up and running... The other 10% are still waiting in sub...
  17. rhoward

Evenin' folks! Just running through what I missed today before shutting down the putter and heading in to bed for the night. I think your Vet is pretty much right. I am feeding my kitties a special food for diabetes by Purina. 'tis expensive but the boys are doing very, very well on it...
  18. rhoward

Hi Karl... Nothing "fat" about that little girl... Just a lot of muscle.... Just like my two boys! They are also 20 pounders... Here is Blackie: And this is Manét (after the French Painter): So much for my reading... They are brothers, litter mates, that I inherited from my dad...
  19. rhoward

Evenin' folks, Chet! My sincere Condolences to you and yours on the loss of your Uncle! Sounds like he lived a long and good life. Healthy right to the end? Wow! I mean no offense, but all I can think of is the lines from Grumpier Old Men (my favorite movies of all time!) Where the...
  20. rhoward

Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Evenin' folks! Janie, I'll just need a refill for my decaf to keep me warm. For the next 3 weeks I'll be heading to Canandaigua a good many times to take care of my sister's cats and water her plants while she is in the "Very Far" again (heading on a artist tour of India this time). Turns...

Back