Search results

1. D

Smokey Valley Stanchions for Atlas S2?

As mentioned in another thread a while back, I bought a few Atlas S-2 yard switchers back in the late 1980's and now want to detail one of them for Union Pacific. I'm trying to figure out which Smokey Valley stanchions I might use for the hand rails. Information on them is hard to come by...
  2. D

Which reefer yellow paint on wood?

I'm getting close the the paint stage on an Ambroid's 1 of 5000 Pennsylvania Outside Braced Reefer. Sides are reefer yellow, roof boxcar red, and the undercarriage black. The sides get decaled so I need to end up with a surface that will take decals OK. I don't want to over spray anything...
  3. D

Pennysylvania Outside Braced Reefer Color Help!

I'm building the Northeastern (aka Ambroid 1 of 5000) Pennsylvania Outside Braced Reefer. I built one in 1959 when they first came out, long ago disposing of it, now I'm doing it again. The color of the car is reefer yellow sides, box car red roof, black hardware and black under body. BUT...
  4. D

Help identifying this U.P. 40 foot box car!

I would like to detail this car for my Union Pacific MOW collection. I'm having trouble figuring out what model car to use for a basis. http://www.pbase.com/deanej/image/137106872 I want to retain the individual grab irons instead of a ladder, and note the little door in the end. Is anyone...
  5. D

Shaving molded grab irons from Atlas diesel?

I have several unopened Atlas S2 switchers I acquired several years ago with the intent of detailing them and repainting them UP. In my first look at them in about 10 years, it's obvious the first thing that needs to occur is the removal of the cast grab irons. I believe it's called "shaving...
  6. D

External Mix vs. Internal Mix air brush?

We had a great and useful discussion in the thread I started on cleaning solvents for air brushes, and now I have a different issue I could use some input on. For years I used a Paasche H series external air brush. In those days it was almost always lacquer based Floquil or Scalecoat. Loved...
  7. D

Question on pre-painting Laserkit parts?

I'm getting ready to build one of the Laserkit 30' Burlington Wood Cabooses. The instructions recommend pre-painting both sides of the wood parts prior to assembly. Does anyone know why this is a recommended approach? I usually assemble first, then air brush, sometimes painting sub assemblies...
  8. D

Airbrush clean-up solvent following Scalecoat I?

I read through multiple threads regarding the thinners for Scalecoat I and they are rather contradictory on the various forums. I've read Scalecoat being referred to as both an enamel and as a lacquer. Obviously, it can't be both. I would only use the manufacturers thinner for thinning for...
  9. D

Where to buy paste solder?

I'm getting ready to build an American Model Builders CB&Q Wood Waycar and they call for the Taurus metal ladder to be assembled using paste solder. Never heard of it before, but it looks interesting as I research it. The main brand seems to be Solder-It. I can find it on the internet from...
  10. D

What's the best flush cutter for wire?

Just getting back into doing a bit of modeling after a 10 year absence and I'm having to get caught up on what things to use. I'm wondering what is the best pliars type cutter for clipping wire that might be used in detailing cars and engines? I want something that is good for flush cutting...
  11. D

Which paint for Caterpillar Yellow

Has anybody figured out what to use for Caterpillar Yellow. I'm painting a couple of old Woodland Scenics kits of Caterpillar earth moving equipment for a flat car load. I used Scalecoat UP Armour Yellow on one a few years ago which worked out pretty well, but my bottle is dried up and I don't...

Back