Search results

1. O

Steamer only gets electrical pick up on left side drive wheels

A BLI 4-8-4 kept stalling at mid to slow range speed going through a couple #6 turnouts. I placed it over some plastic to test the electrical pick up and realized that the entire right side does not pick up electricity. It is described as having all drive wheel electrical pick up, except for...
  2. O

DCC BLI Reading T1 causes short on track and stops

Other locos work just fine all around the track, but this one causes a short and stops after a few inches of travel no matter where I place it on the track. Standing idle the sounds work fine, but moving is the problem. It's clean and not used much to this point, and I can't see any obvious...
  3. O

DCC Bachmann 5 amp booster question

I'm just finishing a new layout that has about 170 ft of flex track and Atlas DCC friendly turnouts. I have not (yet) set up separately powered sections of track with separate power supplies. I will have 9 DCC locos (running two at the same time at most), 10 LED lighted passenger cars, and 2...
  4. O

Wiring Atlas turnouts in DCC

I'm constructing a layout using #6 turnouts that I plan to manually control with Caboose Industries ground throws (keeping it simple because I don't trust my electrical skills). I'm wiring it for DCC with a main bus and feeders, which I haven't done before. I used a pre-made DC layout with...
  5. O

Auto reverse modules and turnouts

Anything to do with wiring is, so far, my weak point by far. On DCC, the attachment hopefully shows a basic layout (dogbone in an "L" that loops under itself in the middle), two 6x10 sections connected by an angled piece in the middle. The addition will be a reverse loop on each end, with...
  6. O

Which way to take a loco project?

I have a new BLI SD40-2 - Santa Fe. I'd like it to be in the old BNSF green/orange paint scheme. If I get an old BLI Blueline SD40-2 - BNSF, should I try to switch the shells and trucks, switch decoders (if the Blueline parts are the same quality as the Paragon2 - I'm not sure), or not get the...
  7. O

What decal will match this numbering?

I plan to buy several of these Reading hoppers and replace the last road number with a Microscale decal number, but I'm not sure which decal is appropriate. I think one of the following three decal sheets will work (probably the first), but I wanted someone to confirm if possible...
  8. O

"STN" number on Reading hopper

I have a batch of three old Stewart brand Reading 2-bay hoppers - HTs class with speed lettering and without the red "Anthracite" herald. Each has a "BLT" date of 5-44 on the lower right side, but on the lower left each shows a "STN" number of 4-63. Does the fact that they have the speed...
  9. O

Looking for PRR X29 boxcars

I just bought three Athearn 40' PRR X29 boxcars and they are just fine except the paint seems just a little pale. It doesn't come close to the shade of oxide red on a MTH reefer and caboose from the same era. Athearn -...
  10. O

Question about online orders and restocking fees.

I made an online order in August and was told 6-8 weeks shipping time. No big deal but since then I've had a semi-hardship and want to cancel the order (which is now well beyond 8 weeks but again, not a problem to me). I'm told that I will have to pay a 15% restocking fee even though nothing has...
  11. O

BLI Paragon vs Paragon2

What are the differences between the two series of locos? Is it simply sound (the quality or quantity)? Are there differences in the motor as well, or anything else? Thanks for any insight?
  12. O

Basic question about a reverse loop

I'm preparing for a DCC layout and I'm considering two reverse loops with ARUs. I was wondering if I can use the first design below, or if I have to go with the second design. While one loco goes through the reverse loop, would there be any effect on the other locos on the main under either...
  13. O

Who makes good passenger cars?

I know that can be a subjective question, but if anyone can give me a ballpark estimate as far as 1) quality of construction and 2) accuracy to prototype I would much appreciate it. I'm specifically interested in PRR and NYC in the 1930-45 era, and due to being partial to BLI products I'm...
  14. O

Adjusting volume on IM ES44 with Bachmann EZ Command

I've been using the Bachmann EZ Command DCC Controller for several sound and non-sound locos. I'm able to adjust the volume on a BLI steamer by double clicking the function 8 button to step up or step down the volume. Is this possible on the IMs with SoundTraxx Tsunami sound or is the volume...
  15. O

Looking for most modern diesels

I know it's not popular, but I'm looking for the most modern diesel locos on the market (I have a few steamers for when I want nostalgia). I model HO scale, and am hoping to find a GE ES44/40 series for each of the big four roadnames (CSX, NS, BNSF, UP) with DCC and sound. Am I correct that...
  16. O

Question about bridges

Is there a difference in settings under which a Warren Truss or a plate girder bridge would be used? Are there specific settings that one would be used instead of the other? I have several of each and wonder if I could be more prototypical in where I use them...ie - over a river/lake as...
  17. O

22" track plans

I've been searching online for track plans with at least 22" radius curves, but every plan I found so far includes at least a few 18" sections. So now I plan on choosing any plan that I like, and simply expanding it to accomodate 22" curves. I'll be adding to a 6x10 table to make it 8x14...
  18. O

Why no Reading locos?

I have an old Bachmann 2-8-0, Reading line, that I bought way back in about 1987 or 1988. I think it's a Bachmann Plus (?). I hardly ran it much due to not following through on a layout, and I now know that it is of dubious quality. Anyway, having finished my layout recently I ran it until...
  19. O

Fairly basic track wiring problem

I have recently built an up-and-over dogbone layout in HO with a combo of old (but good shape) code 100 track and some new track, using a new power pack as well. I followed an Atlas diagram to a 'T', and it's been working just fine for a few months. The track has been tacked down on roadbed the...

Back