Search results

1. A

Carl Arendt's Micro-Layouts site is updating again!

I have his book as well. It gives those of us without much space hope for a layout.
  2. A

Carl Arendt's Micro-Layouts site is updating again!

One of my favorite sites, which describes layouts under eight square feet, is updating semi-regularly again. Carl Arendt's site and its over 1,500 pikes almost disappeared after his passing away last year. Fortunately, a couple of fans took up the cause and started updating it again last...
  3. A

Index to my articles on model railroading resources

I compiled an index to my over two dozen online articles on model railroading. (Some of you may have seen these posting on the boards.) The pieces cover all scales and mostly show online vids, track plans and layouts I've discovered on the web: Model Railroading Index for HO, N, O, G...
  4. A

Playart

If you can get them for very cheap, you can always dress them up. You can also push them on a track to see how they run.
  5. A

Any new on the Broadway Limited Trackmobile?

I recall reading a review where somebody did that but couldn't locate it again. If I'm remembering correctly, it wasn't difficult to replace the front coupler.
  6. A

Any new on the Broadway Limited Trackmobile?

I've been anticipating these trackmobiles for months but they don't seem to have come out. Does anyone have any word on them? http://factorydirecttrains.com/broadwaylimitedtrackmobileho.aspx
  7. A

How did you decide on your Road/Theme?

Still in the planning stages. I want to model what's around me in Southern California, and I like trolleys. But we don't have trolleys here. So I came up with a vintage trolley tourist line that was set up in a modern county similar to my own real-life one.
  8. A

Layout design suggestions

I'm with John on eliminating the central peninsula, especially if you'll have a six-year-old operator by your side. I think you'll have plenty to do with just the layout around the room. If you find that you want to add the central peninsula later, you can add pieces of it, perhaps even just to...
  9. A

HO-Scale Track Plans for Shelf Layouts

Lol. I didn't realize that you were the builder. Pleased to meet you Richard. So you laid the track directly on plywood? Why did you choose that rather than homasote or foam? Do you have a track plan for the new layout yet, and how this little one is going to fit there? I think that's...
  10. A

N-Scale Track Plans for Shelf Layouts

Not seeing the poll option in Edit mode. I guess it's only available when you first post a new thread.
  11. A

That is a beautiful layout, flyboy. I like how the many of the structures and much of the track aren't parallel to the edge of the front edge of the layout.
  12. A

I wish the boards had a polling feature, so it could be put to an efficient vote. But since that feature isn't available, I'd like to ask anyone who reads the article to pay particular attention to the Thorsten Trains subsection under "N-Scale Track Plans from the Sheils." Then post here in a...
  13. A

Interesting to get two opposite views about the plans listed in the articles. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Thanks, Byron, for your comments.
  14. A

If you have space for a shelf, you have space for an HO layouts as shown in my latest article: Model Train Resource: HO-Scale Track Plans for Shelf Layouts And if you think shipping of your model railroad stuff is slow, the article talks about a guy in Mexico who waits ten weeks for his...
  15. A

Thank you railnut49. I think you're talking about "Shelf Layouts for Model Railroads" by Iain Rice. He was advocating the use of small, shelf layouts back in the 1990s, when they were popular in the UK but not in the US.
  16. A

Trams/Streetcars

I'd like to recommend the Bachmann Spectrum DCC trolleys. I have the HO Birney -- it does 4-inch-radius curves nicely, and can operate from either overhead or track power. Quite nicely detailed as well and has a lighted interior.
  17. A

Turn your N-scale Xmas gift into a full shelf-layout with one of these track plans: Model Train Resource: N-Scale Track Plans for Shelf Layouts
  18. A

Building a Module; Photo Diorama

Excellent work. Just goes to show that you don't need a layout to enjoy model railroading.

Back