Search results

1. Steve S

New superfast 3D printing technology.

A company called Carbon3D has come up with a new 3D printing technology that they call Continuous Liquid Interface Production (CLIP.) They claim it's 25 to 100 times faster than traditional techniques. It looks similar to SLA printing but it doesn't create things layer by layer so the...
  2. Steve S

Track in pavement.

I don't model in N scale, but someone over at the Model Railroader forum asked how to model track in pavement in N scale without the unsightly gaps needed for the flangeway. I came up with the following and I thought I'd share it here. I modeled the pavement using paper with the concrete...
  3. Steve S

3D Printing coming to Staples.

Someone posted this at another train forum and I thought it was worth mentioning here. Next year Staples will start offering 3D printing at their stores. The printer uses built-up layers of paper to make the object, so it's probably not capable of fine detail needed for body shells for engines...
  4. Steve S

It's that time of year...

...for this stuff to fall from the trees. I'm not exactly sure what type of tree it comes from (oak, maybe?) It could be used for ivy, or underbrush. It generally gathers in clumps along the curbs or edges of the grass. I think it's a few weeks early this year because of the mild...
  5. Steve S

Paper brick sheets.

Not sure if this has ever been posted here before, but I stumbled onto this site that let's you generate various styles of brick walls and print them out as a PDF file. He's got a lot of different styles and colors. http://paperbrick.co.uk/index.php?action=home Steve S
  6. Steve S

Super Cheap roadbed.

If you're looking for a cheap alternative to cork roadbed, you might try Readi-Board foam board from Dollar Tree stores. It sells for $1 per 20" x 30" sheet. The foam is closed-cell Depron so there shouldn't be any problem with it soaking up water when wetting ballast once the outer layers...
  7. Steve S

Color photos of NYC in the '40s.

Here's an article with some old Kodachromes of New York in the '40s. Although there aren't any trains, it would be a good resource for someone modeling that era, especially with regard to the paint colors used on the buildings' trimwork. The photos were taken by Charles Cushman of Indiana...

Back