Search results

1. A

Deerfield Beach,FL (HO switching layout)

Looking great. Is the layout portable?
  2. A

Port Solway - England in 1905

There is lots of stuff for British outline modeling, most in 00 (1/76) (Runs on H0 track) and some in N (British N is 1/152 but runs on the same track) but obviously it is targeted at the British market. Most British diesels have been covered with ready to run models, and quite a lot of steam...
  3. A

custom norfolk southern dash 9-40cw

I am looking to do a similar project myself (sometime) and was interested to know about the change around of the trucks mentioned. What are you replacing them with and how do you know which is wrong and which is right? Thanks,
  4. A

Port Solway - England in 1905

Here are some photographs of the Port Solway layout of the Newcastle & District Model Railway Society in England. The layout is set in Northern England around 1905 and is built to Scalefour standards (1/76; 4mm to foot; 18.83mm gauge). This scale/guage is usually only found in Britain The...
  5. A

has NS released any of the heritage paint jobs

Found this website which tracks these locos and other special and one-off liveries http://www.heritageunits.com/
  6. A

Hannah - H0 Layout - The baseboards

Progress on my layout continues slowly. It has been some time since I last posted anything about my layout, so here goes. Photos are only with a pocket camera, so they suffer from poor depth of field and flash fall-off unfortunately, but they give a general 'feel'. Here is work in...
  7. A

Painting Framework

I have painted the framework and undersides of my baseboards using cheap primer and white gloss paint from a DIY store. This has lasted a number of years and has protected the layout during periods of storage in our attic and also garden shed. If it is painted, then you know it is better...
  8. A

Why no more dummies?

Another advantage of dummy locomotive is that they use no or little power (lights / sound chip if fitted). This could be a consideration if you intend to run with, say, three or more locos at the head with a multiple-unit helper set.
  9. A

Recent photos from Sweethome Alabama

Looking good, Jon. Great scenery and interesting loco liveries.
  10. A

Some Very Sad, Awful News

This is indeed very sad and my sympathy goes out to the family and friends of Alexander Frye. If there is anyone else reading this who is being bullied for who they are or what they believe in, I would advise them to stand firm, talk to other people and try to minimise the influence they have...
  11. A

Hi from a newbie in the UK

Great photos. Welcome to the Forum from another relatively newcomer in the UK. Merry Christmas
  12. A

Installing sound in an Kato GP35??

Here are some photos of my installation of a QSI Tsunami (Atlas format) in a GP35. First a general view of the installation. The veroboard was made by direct comparison with the original lighting board, adjusting the LED positions until they corresponded. The veroboard was stuck on top of...
  13. A

Installing sound in an Kato GP35??

I have fitted a QSI Atlas format Tsunami in a couple of Kato GP35s, completely replacing the lighting board. I fitted two LEDs on a satelite board made from veroboard and stuck it on top of the sound chip with two-sided sticky tape, lining up the new LEDs with the former position of the old...
  14. A

Tortoise switch motors and a 3 way Peco turnout

I agree with John P in that it is how you plan to operate your three way turnout, however I don't think you need to resort to electronics. The problem is that, your three way turnout has, by definition, three ways that you can set it and your two toggle switches together will have four ways...
  15. A

The first photo in the second batch shows the underside of two boards bolted together. There are two bolts holding the boards together, one through the middle pair of spacing blocks and one through the outer pair. (It would be impossible to get a bolt through the inside pair!) Two alignment...
  16. A

Progress has been very slow on my H0 layout, originally given the working title "Hannah", which has stuck, but progress it is. This is a sectional layout, six sections in all, which fit together to make a hexagon. The sectional nature of the layout has saved it a few times as when the need has...
  17. A

Ditch Lights - Front Only or Front and Rear?

Is there any guidelines as to whether US locos have ditch lights on the front only or whether they have them on the front and rear? Does this vary between operating/owning company? Is it on the basis of the locos typical duties e.g. likely to be used on local services (with one loco)? I am...
  18. A

H0 BNSF Dash 9 - Advice Needed

Thanks for the advice. I had previously looked on the Details West website for something like a Dash 9 window kit. There was an example of a BNSF Dash 9 with a list of super-detailing parts used, but there was no mention of the window kit. I have now found this after it was pointed out...
  19. A

Turn Radius

There is no disagreement about being able to bend flexible track down to tight radii, so long as you use the appropriately sized trains such as trolleys and the short wheelbase stock shown in the photos above. Some industrial railways and tramways are like this in real life. What I did say...
  20. A

Turn Radius

There is no disagreement about being able to bend flexible track down to tight radii, so long as you use the appropriately sized trains such as trolleys and the short wheelbase stock shown in the photos above. Some industrial railways and tramways are like this in real life. What I did say was...

Back