Search results

1. srrcoalburner

Overland OMI-1440 Central of Georgia 4-8-4

Well, I now have a second Big Apple and the gearbox is just as much junk as the first one. Put the model on the track and it was bad stiff. It loosened up with some run time. Still wasnt good. It sounds like a pea thrasher in reverse. Tore it down and the worm gear has plenty of slop in it as...
  2. srrcoalburner

Masonic emblems on Southern Steam locomotives

Hello! I was wondering if anyone out there has seen or has knowlege of the Masonic decorations on Southern Railway steam locomotives, or diesels, for that matter. David P. Morgan and many others make reference to them, the Candlesticks, bronze eagles, etc. I have never seen any of the...
  3. srrcoalburner

L&N E and F Units

WoooHoo! I got a couple of E-6 Units from Big B and had three or four Athearn and Bachmann F units laying around. I decided to make a couple of Christmas presents for two of my buddies who are "train runners" and not modelers. I had them stripped and then I primed them yesterday. Worked a day or...
  4. srrcoalburner

What C.V. do I use to change direction?

Hello! I have a couple of BLI Paragon II SD-40-2 in Southern Rwy. and would like to change the Forward direction of one of them to run in a multiple unit consist. (It looks weird having all the units running short hood forward) It will be a consist of 4 units:2 BLI, 1 Athearn and 1 Atlas...
  5. srrcoalburner

L&N E-6 winterization hatches

Has any one got any detailed pics of the winterization hatches on the L&N E-6? Hatches may not be right...they look more like square pieces of sheet metal on legs over the fans. Hopefully, I'll be building a couple of highly detailed units as Christmas presents for a friend of mine...
  6. srrcoalburner

L&N dark blue

Anybody know where I can get my hands on some of the L&N dark blue? Its the shade that was applied to the E-6's. I dont recall anyone offering any off-the-shelf. If anyone has mixed there own, please let me know in what you used and in what ammounts. I have a friend that is wanting an L&N...
  7. srrcoalburner

Hallmark brass locos

Anybody know anything about Hallmark brass locomotives? There are a couple on e-bay that tickle my fancy....They are DL-109's, if that makes a difference. Its one of those things I can live without but thought they were something that you dont see every day....a break from E-7s 8's and 9's. If...
  8. srrcoalburner

Green crud on a brass model

A buddy brought a couple of brass models over for me to paint. One is an Empire Midland Southern Railway 2-8-2 # 4501. The other is a Westside Great Northern 4-6-2 with Belpaire firebox and an all-weather cab. The E.M. will be a snap. The Westside however, looks like it has some extensive foam...
  9. srrcoalburner

Paint jar roller to keep paints mixed

Several years ago, an article appeared in MR mag. about building a roller for paint jars. It was fabricated out of a couple of dowels or a broom handle sawed in equal lengths, driven by an old motor ( a pittman out of a brass model would be ideal) and some type of gear reducer. (an old gearbox?)...
  10. srrcoalburner

Paint jar roller to keep paints mixed

Several years ago, an article appeared in MR mag. about building a roller for paint jars. It was fabricated out of a couple of dowels or a broom handle sawed in equal lengths, driven by an old motor ( a pittman out of a brass model would be ideal) and some type of gear reducer. (an old gearbox?)...

Back