Search results

1. Berkshire Brian

New layout - opinions/suggestions?

what program do you use to make that layout diagram?
  2. Berkshire Brian

Cat issues

My girl and I have been buidling our railroad for over a year now and we have enjoyed the fact that no one or nothing disturbed it for a long time...allowing us to leave things and not be worried about it getting wrecked. That all changed the day I decided to get her a new cat. The layout is...
  3. Berkshire Brian

New to DCC, Some questions before I get started

Thanks mike. Sorry i forgot to mention its HO scale. That link is great I think it may answer all my questions haha.
  4. Berkshire Brian

New to DCC, Some questions before I get started

I have been building This railroad: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21172 And because I inherited most of the equipment from my grandfather (who passed in 97) he never had DCC, he was still using the traditional controllers. I want to upgrade to DCC to make my railroad...
  5. Berkshire Brian

My Walkman-powered cable car.

Very creative. Im sure someone is gonna try to use that in a full blown layout. It would be great for a San Fran scene
  6. Berkshire Brian

Introduction, Grandfathers legacy build

For your enjoyment, some pictures of my slow-going progress. The waterfall has been shrunk so that is proportional to the river. Some ideas we have for a river-side camp site An almost completed general store that Carolyn put together and painted The freight station...
  7. Berkshire Brian

Rob, That is a fantastic idea you have there for the yard! Because I re-arranged the basement I may just have enough room at the end of the layout to make that happen. I will definitely be looking into that. And yes, I got the steam loco on the track and it works great. However, I have a...
  8. Berkshire Brian

Ha, thanks for the compliment. I hope it turns out good, Like i've said this is the first model railroad I have built and while I do alot of my homework I am still a novice. And Mike, i was intending on putting a thin backboard (thin plywood or similar) cut to the shape of the mountain (or even...
  9. Berkshire Brian

After about 4-5 hours I have made significant progress to the layout. After going over the track for any defects or issues, I ran the train over it several times and deemed it good enough to be covered up by my mountains. Ah, but i thought to myself: "Why completely seal up the tracks? What...
  10. Berkshire Brian

Thanks guys. And Jim, in the Atlas book those pictures of the town you mention is located on the right side of the layout, and it coveres the majority of that side. I was always liked those pictures. I like your take on it and it looks like it would work well. Today is my day off, Im going...
  11. Berkshire Brian

Went to a model train show in Marlborough. Met a local forum member NH Mike, and saw lots of great layouts and product. My girlfriend bought some buildings and paint supplies while I got a great deal on a Bachman Steam engine (NYC). I have looked for awhile for a NYC steam locomotive but they...
  12. Berkshire Brian

Keep in mind, if it looks like im doing this a little "differently" Its becase of my lack of experience. This is my first real full size railroad and while im good carpenter and handy with electrical, my crafty side needs a bit of work. However I have been searching the forum and been getting...
  13. Berkshire Brian

Wow those pictures look great! Its cool to see other peoples take on this layout. After a long hiatus from the forum and from my Railroad the winter is upon us and so it is once again Model railroad time for me. (summer time i usually dont do much because i lead a pretty active outdoor...
  14. Berkshire Brian

Woodland Scenics

Those photos are over a year old, I have done some more work since then. Haha, but you are correct, I dont have much scenery going on. :D However, I have bought some scenery product in preparation for working on my layout and when i go into the store I try to go "cheap" since I am on a tight...
  15. Berkshire Brian

layout lighting

Definately its own breaker.
  16. Berkshire Brian

Woodland Scenics

I am not a big consumer of Woodland Scenic because of the fact alot of thier products are super expensive compared to home-made or other manufacturer options.
  17. Berkshire Brian

That sounds like its taken a long journey for that railroad. If you ever find pictures of it, post it up! Id love to see other peoples take on this railroad.
  18. Berkshire Brian

Removing glued down track

I used adhesive caulking for my railroad. Its gonna be a pain to rip that stuff up.
  19. Berkshire Brian

Updates 2/12/11 Hey guys, Its been slow going due to lack of funds this past 2 weeks but i finally got the track done. Its not 100% done though because there are a few places i have to tweak to avoid derailments. Also, im going to pick up a bright boy so I can clean all the track. I noticed...
  20. Berkshire Brian

And here is the scale drawing of my planned bridge. The support coulums will be dressed up later to look like concrete or block piers. The scale is 1/4" = 1"

Back