Search results

1. H

Been a long time, layout pictures

The last time I posted here, the layout room was in the process of getting sheetrock. Fast forward almost 5 years, and two kids later, and I am finally running. Room is 15 x 25, freelanced Norfolk Southern (with some interchange traffic from railroads I like) Kurt
  2. H

Peco Switch Help

Hello all, I have been researching Peco switches, I think I am going to end up using them. They are a little more expensive but the reviews speak for themselves. I am a little confused, they come in small, medium and large. I have grown up raised on the #4, #6 and #8 atlas mentality. I...
  3. H

Question on benchwork

Hi All, I am getting ready to build the frame for my staging yard, it's going to be 20 feet long, 2.5 feet wide. This yard will be 18 inches below the main level. For the main level I used a laser level to get my base height around the room. Anyways, for the lower staging level and...
  4. H

Staging Yard / Hidden Tracks - Roadbed? Yay or Nay?

Hello, I am getting ready to build my bench-work for my staging yard. I am going to lay the track as well as it will be much easier to do so without an upper level present. One question I had, and would like some pros and cons is the question of roadbed in the staging yard. It seems like a...
  5. H

That one item you have always been after

What is it? For me, I have been wanting a Proto 2000 SD60M in Norfolk Southern forever. The standard cabs are widely available, I like them so much I bought a third one, and changed the number. For some reason the widecabs are scarce. I FINALLY got one on ebay last night for a decent...
  6. H

Help with an Atlas Gold Dual Mode (I think decoder)

Help with an Atlas Gold Dual Mode (I think) decoder Hello, So here is the deal. I bought a C40-8 on ebay for $36 bucks. A steal anyway you look at it. When I put the engine on my dads layout to test it, I heard a sound and then nothing. So the engine is DCC, and has sound. I dont do DCC...
  7. H

Numberboards for Blue Blox SP widecab GE's

Hi All, I have two Athearn BB Southern Pacific GE's, as you know the number boards are smaller than "normal" engines. I found this set of decals which looks like it has a variety of sizes. Does anyone have any recommendations...
  8. H

What everyone has been begging for...finally in HO Scale

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AHM-HO-SCALE-SANTA-FE-5028-C-LINER-DIESEL-ELECTRIC-RAILWAY-LOCOMOTIVE-SHELL-LOT-/380521444597?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D3761839675837552666%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D380521444597%26 This...
  9. H

Code 100 Steel Track vs Nickel Silver

Hello All, Has anyone used steel track instead of Nickel silver? It seems a bit more cost effective, I am thinking just for hidden staging yards. The only drawback I can seem to find is that its harder to cut and file. Thanks, Kurt
  10. H

Best (cheapest) place for Athearn Preorders

Yo yo yo, Where's the best place to preorder some athearn stuff? The new SD70M-2 in NS looks very nice, I need one to compliment my fleet. Thanks, Kurt
  11. H

Control Master 20 Cord Question

Question, I need a new cord for a control master 20 (the cord that attaches to the handheld throttle) I know it has to be a 6 pin cord. I have found some on a website, but they have voice or data cords. Does that matter? Kurt
  12. H

Heat/Humidity Discussion

Hi All, I suppose this needs it's own thread. Is humidity the thing to control moreso than temperature? Reason I ask, I am in the process of finishing the inside of my train room (15 x 25) I am putting kraft faced R-13 and wall paneling up, and installed radiant barrier panels in the...
  13. H

Question on Walthers gold line 89' flatcars

Hello Everyone, I have a question to anyone that has any of the newer Walthers goldline 89' flatcars. The older autoracks and 89' flats had space that allowed you to cut into the center frame under the car, to allow for use on tighter radius curves. My dad has a couple 18 inch curves...
  14. H

New Here...first question concerning Jay Bee Engine Wheels

Hello All, Long time lurker, finally registered. Quick intro, I'm 30, live in New Orleans and model the NS. Layout room is going up soon (I hope) Anyways, in the effort to keep things as clean and running as well as possible, I came accross a discussion on replacing older blue box athearn...

Back