Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. PNKFLOYD

HO Rusty Rail Shay Scrap Heap

I recently acquired a cast Rusty Rails Shay scrap heap from a friend. This casting seems to be discontinued by Rusty Rails, so it is especially meaningful to me. Here is the raw casting. The detail is incredible on both sides. Had to wash the casting to remove the mold release. Sprayed with...
  2. PNKFLOYD

HO figures and paint

I purchased some nicely painted farm animals from Hobby Lobby several months ago. And ordered 30 Oriental figures listed as 1/72 scale over the internet before Christmas. After comparing the farmer with so0me 1/100 figures, I feel they are really 1/100 scale rather than 1/87. The Oriental...
  3. PNKFLOYD

45" truck trailer

Have you ever had a modeling project that life got in the way whenever you waited for glue or paint to dry? This is a 30 yo polyurethane kit from Alloy Forms with cast body parts. The cast parts have bubbles and pits that really show up in the assembled model. I broke some parts while cutting...
  4. PNKFLOYD

Birdie's Place

Birdie's Place - An O scale building set in 1935, part of a timber and Tie company town in rural southern Alabama. It will be added to the club On30 layout. This is a very basic DPM kit consisting of cast polyester walls, inset door and windows, a sheet plastic roof and clear plastic sheets to...
  5. PNKFLOYD

Homemade wood Mill House kit

Just before my wife had her first back surgery about 9 weeks ago, the construction lead for our On30 layout decided we needed three more houses for the lumber mill area. After a short discussion, he drew up the plans and ordered the wood sheets, windows and dimensional lumber to build the three...
  6. PNKFLOYD

More Hot Wheels & Matchbox vehicles

I found some more Hot Wheels and Matchbox vehicles I could use on my layout. Three of the vehicles will be used as is, the police car, hot rod and bright red Chevy pick up. These truck need modification to stock trucks, The hardest part of the whole project is drilling out the rivets with a...
  7. PNKFLOYD

Hot Wheels vehicle

Found a 1956 Ford hotrod panel truck at Walmart for my 1957 era layout I wanted to modify the metal body and get rid of the huge chrome engine. I started with this. Next, I drilled out the metal rivets on the bottom of the body to disassemble the vehicle. Set the body, chassis and window...
  8. PNKFLOYD

Putting a little eye shadow on a boxcar

After building a simple boxcar kit, I wanted to lightly weather it. I had found a small eye shadow kit at a Dollar store and found the colors ran from an off white through several shades of tan and brown. I wondered how close the results would be to using weathering chalks. For the namesake...
  9. PNKFLOYD

Simple assembly of a boxcar

I took some pictures of a simple boxcar assembly for a new modeler who has only purchased pre-assembled rolling stock. I thought I would share the procedure for newbies here. This kit is for one of the famous John Allen layout (the Gory and Defeated) train boxcars. This a Roundhouse ( Model...
  10. PNKFLOYD

Securing track to cork roadbed

I have most of the cork secured with caulk onto a foam base and am locating turnouts on the roadbed. I will use track nails to hold the track in position. What did you use to secure your track and turnouts to your roadbed and what do wish you had used? Serious suggestions so far are: caulk...
  11. PNKFLOYD

N Scale houses

Does anyone know if DPM makes kits for mill houses or ranch style homes? I have not found anything at the various websites I checked. Any other suggestions for N scale houses kits, as I want to kit-bash several styles. Thanks for any information
  12. PNKFLOYD

Bachman Decoder address change

I cannot change the default 03 address on my new Spectrum 2-10-2. I am able to program the new 4 digit address with a Digitax Zephyr, but when I return to acquire the engine, nothing happens. It is a non-sound decoder and works well on the 03 default address. A fellow club member has the...
  13. PNKFLOYD

NS burgandy car & engine?

Returned to work from lunch today and found a black and white NS GP38-2 on the siding attached to a shiney burgandy NS engine and business car. The engine looked like the GP38-2, less the turbine fans. The top of the engine was notched about 10 feet for the missing area. Had "RESEARCH" in...
  14. PNKFLOYD

Track cleaning car FYI

Short message: clean the wheels of the track cleaning car, too! My MRR club displays the layout for about 10 weeks at a local children's museum. The 20' x 30' layout runs two loops continueously for 8-10 hours a day and we try to run the track cleaners at least once a day. We purchased 4 new...
  15. PNKFLOYD

More Birmingham Mines & Railroads

Many people have followed Grande Man's photo adventures arounf the mines and rails of Birmingham. I stumbled across a site with the journals of a Seaboard Railroad supervisor recalling his life and times in throughout the Birmingham area. He discusses the relations between the mines and...
  16. PNKFLOYD

Sawdust?

Does anyone still make ground cover from sawdust colored with dyes or thinned latex paint? I have about 3 quarts of pine and fir sawdust I would like to try to color and dry in batches to see how this "old school" method works for me. Any advice? Mikey
  17. PNKFLOYD

Has gas prices cut into your modeling?

How has the price of gas affected you? Fewer trips to the LHS? More shopping on the web? Personally, I have done both, and cut back on some railfanning trips. I try to consolidate needed trips and find that shopping closer to home is often cheaper than going to Walmart for a couple of...
  18. PNKFLOYD

ARG get together

The Alabama Rail Gang pretty well hijacked Ken's thread about his trip to Alabama. Our apologies to Ken! So many folks would have liked to meet Ken that the thread wandered into an attempt to meet at the Irondale Cafe in the Birmingham area for the ARG and any others that show up. Date not...
  19. PNKFLOYD

Shay train by Roundhouse

I recently acquired several cars and a couple engines at an estate sale. Included in the box were several freight and passenger cars promoting the SHAY Company engines like "billboard" box cars. These are "old timer" 7 cars and a caboose They were made by Roundhouse. I have not seen these...
  20. PNKFLOYD

Coatings??

Other than Dullcoat, what other products would you use to seal a freshly weathered boxcar? What about a wood structure?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.