Search results

1. C

Re-inventing the wheel

It's been a while since I have been on the forum here. Been studying for work to become an electrician. Anywho..... My current layout is all dcc using the DS64's to control my modified bachmann turnouts with tortoise machines. Well recently I decided to put my huge stash of allen bradley...
  2. C

Atlas turntable motor drive (304) Belts

I have an atlas turntable with the 304 motor drive. Well it came with the one belt installed, and a spare. Well I broke both of them. So..... Does anyone know a replacement, or some way to modify it to use something else for a belt.
  3. C

My turntable project

When I started my layout, I knew I needed a turntable of some sorts. However, the options I had were rather limited. I checked out the Atlas tried and true 305 setup, and it was WAY too small to turn any steam locos and tenders. OR even my A/B diesel units. Well when walthers came out with...
  4. C

I'm building a turntable

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've been on here. Had a ton going on. Now that I've started on my layout again, I decided to work on the turntable area. The PERFECT setup for me would be the 130 foot Walthers deal, but I'm not paying their price. So I'm using an atlas 305 as the...
  5. C

Some power questions

Hello everyone. I'm going to explain what my setup is, then I'm going to ask my questions. Here is what I am all running. For my DCC system I am using a digitrax DB150 booster/command center, along with a DT400 controller. Now connected in the chain of loconet devices are 3 DS64's...
  6. C

Soldering wires

I converted a Bachmann 0-6-0 steamer over to DCC. I purchased a NCE decoder. However, the wires needed to get soldered onto the diecast frame. But the solder doesn't seem to stick. How do I connect the wires to the diecast frame? What kind of solder would I need to use? OR what procedure...
  7. C

Bachmann 0-6-0

I have a Bachmann 0-6-0 Steamer that is DC only. I want to convert it over to DCC. No sound is necessary. I want lights and forward/reverse in DCC. It would be nice to have an extra trigger to run the smoke unit and turn it off if I don't want it. So my question is what Digitrax wire in...
  8. C

My new layout so far...

I've been working on this since november. So far I have the benchwork done for now. Eventually there will be another leg coming off with a turntable and more staging area that will be behind the scenes. For components, I'm using all digitrax. All my track is Bachmann and all turnouts are...
  9. C

Center Bridge Pier

I built two campbells wood truss bridges (double track) and I am placing them end to end. Now I'm not sure if it's orthodox or not, but I have 7 1/4" between the bridge and the water bottom. So I need a support pier for the center here. Does anyone know of a pre-made pier to use for this? Or...
  10. C

What size wire?

I need to buy the wire to hook everything up on my layout. Here are some specifics: Digital zephyr Two digitrax pm42's for 8 districts Three digitrax ds64's for 11 turnouts. What gauges of wire should I use? Solid or stranded?
  11. C

Powering components

I have been doing alot of reading on using a pc power supply to power components on your layouts. I have one supply that I have already modified and painted, and works phenominal at a constant 12.08 volts. My plan is to connect the two terminals I have sticking out the side one to a...
  12. C

Bridge plans

Does anyone know where I can get a plan for a wooden tressel bridge or viaduct? I want to build my own since I haven't found one that I have been happy with. Since I'm freelancing my own railroad...... My bridge will be 2 lanes and rather long. So it can be an arch or whatever, I'm just...
  13. C

My Layout benchwork so far

This is the benchwork I have done so far. It's built in 6 sections that are able to be dissassembled. I took one section out now that I am going to cut down and lower a section of it to give the appearance of low ground for my bridge/lake/river, or whatever it's going to be. But there will be...
  14. C

Tortoise and turnout wiring

Im working on my wiring for my layout right now and I'm thinking of something that might be kind of wierd. I am using tortoise machines for all of my turnouts. Also everything including the turntable is dcc. I was thinking of adding switches to my panel so I could manually switch my turnouts...
  15. C

What material do you use

What material is normally used as a backdrop, and the matieral used to make the edge of the layout with your layout plan/lights on it (showing turnout positions)? I guess in some places it needs to be flexible. Ideas?
  16. C

I need a bridge

I am looking for a wood tressel type bridge.. I am NOT doing a prototypical layout. I'm doing it my own way. I need to figure out a curved wood tressel bridge with two lanes. Is there a kit that exists?
  17. C

Tabletop questions

It's not really a table top. Someone posted about the HOG (Heart of Georgia) layout, and it really fit what I was looking for size wize. I'm freelancing my whole shindig, so it's not a prototype by any means. There are times where I just love watching my trains go, and there are other times...
  18. C

Some wiring questions

I was working with my digitrax stuff tonight, and made a small mock layout with my tortoise machines, and my turnouts, etc.... I bought some bi-color LED's in red/green for my faceplate on the front of my layout so I know what direction the turnouts are thrown. So with this being said...
  19. C

Some layout questions

Now that I returned from my Army Mobilization, I was thinking about my layout again. I have a TON of the bachmann ez-track, including straights, turnouts, crossovers, etc..... I'm kind of curious about something. I cannot seem to find the right types of curved track for some of my curves, so...
  20. C

JMRI Decoder Pro questions

I finally figured out how to program my Spectrum USRA 2-10-2 light loco with my digitrax DCS51 setup. Now I'm trying to figure out if I can use decoder pro to do the same thing with. After experiencing all the issues of programming the loco, I'm not so sure I want to even bother trying...

Back