Search results

1. malibu43

Painting details on IHC 2-6-0

Thanks for all the tips! Really happy with how it turned out. Folk Art Brushed Metal Silver from Michael's ended up being good for the smokestack. I tried to add number boards to the headlight, but it was too small to get it to work...
  2. malibu43

I found some spots on the smoke box and funnel that need to be touched up. Any suggestions for a paint color that might match what's on there?
  3. malibu43

I added a working coupler to the front of my old IHC 2-6-0 and decided to paint some additional detail to give it some more life. I need help with the whistle area. There a few restored SP prototypes, but the images online don't show this area in detail, and the protypes are aren't configured...
  4. malibu43

Bachmann GS-4 light issue

So, while handling the locomotive and messing with things trying to figure out what was happening, one of the wires pulled out of the plug that runs from the tender to the locomotive. I've tried to fix one of those before and it was a PIA. I'm just going to pay the $50 plus shipping for Bachmann...
  5. malibu43

Weird. Just tried the second direction again (clockwise) and the headlight works the entire way around. Still cuts out on the corners when going counter clockwise.
  6. malibu43

So I flipped the locomotive around and ran it the other way around the loop. Tender light still stays on all the time when in reverse. However, now when running forward the headlight stays on in the curve and shuts off on the straight. It definitely seems to have to do with the...
  7. malibu43

I have a Bachmann DCC GS4 from about 2009 or 2010. It's been very rarely used and I only use it on a DC loop with 22" radius curves. I've observed that when running forward, the headlight shuts off when going around the curve and then comes back on on the straight section. When running in...
  8. malibu43

Details West MU-266 vs MU-294

That's a great idea. Before I ordered the additional hoses, I looked around the work bench for something I could use in place of ordering more, but I did not think about solder.
  9. malibu43

Got it. Thanks. Good advice on trimming and smashing the end if they need to be shortened. I thought about just trimming them if they end up being a little long, but was think I'd lose the handle on the end. Smashing with pliers is a great idea.
  10. malibu43

Thanks. No specific year, but if 3-hose clusters is more accurate for later time periods I think that works. I use a fair amount of artistic license. I'm putting hoses on a GP9, GP35, GP40, and 2x GP60's. They all have pretty large plows on the front, even though that may not be...
  11. malibu43

I'm detailing some Athearn Blue Box GP's and bought some MU-266 MU hoses. I've found they are a bit short for the locos with plows on front. MU-294 is described as 36" length. Not sure if that is supposed to be shorter or longer than MU-266. Anyone know?
  12. malibu43

Ride or watch Grand Canyon Railway?

Random question - We are looking at taking a family trip to the Grand Canyon the first weekend in April and are probably going to take the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon and back. The day we are planning on going is one of the days they operate their steam locomotive on one of the...
  13. malibu43

EBAY NEWBIE LOSES LOCO

PayPal is generally less risky than use your credit card.
  14. malibu43

Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

Finally ordered some brake details for these Athearn GP60's I got almost 2 years ago. The detail parts came yesterday, maybe I'll add them this weekend...
  15. malibu43

No Luck in my Search for an O-Scale 2-Rail 2-6-0 or 2-6-2 Steamer with DCC and Sound

Hal, Depending on your budget, you could get that brass loco and look into paying one of the talented members here to paint and decal it for you...? I've seen some amazing work posted in the past by some.
  16. malibu43

Question about purchasing used track

Not to nitpick, but code 100 is 100 thousandths of an inch. 83 is 83/1000. If code 100 was 100/100th, the rails would be an inch tall... :)
  17. malibu43

Hobby Room Update

Why are people compelled to open up a thread and complain about its contents when they could simply just not read it?

Back