Search results

1. R

dynamic brakes retrofitted on rebuild, plausible?

Cool, thanks for the replies. That'll open up the possibility of running them with/instead of SD38-2s over a hilly section of my railroads trunk line.
  2. R

dynamic brakes retrofitted on rebuild, plausible?

Is it reasonable for a diesel not originally equipped with with dynamic brakes to be retrofitted during a major rebuild? Or is a dynamic brake system too ingrained to be pulled off economically after the fact by simply adding the grid, fans, cabling and control hardware? I'm wondering if it...
  3. R

Removing a P2K SW1200 shell

It's actually the black and yellow scheme rather than the green and yellow. I'll start on the Noodle unit and if anyone on this side of the border wants to trade a more suitably ugly shell for this one, I'd be open to it.
  4. R

Thanks. I'm afraid so.
  5. R

Thought I would share a few pics. I've decided to detail these as Milw -> Soo units (the >1205 units here: http://www.mountainrailway.com/SOO%20Line%20Roster%20Archive/SOO%201200%20Page.htm) rather than CP units to avoid changing to flexicoils and adding the RS number boards. First step has been...
  6. R

I picked up a second SW1200, I'll have to start collecting parts and head down the RS path with them. Plan right now is: -M.b.Eric CN 1200RS kit to get a pair of RS numberboards (thinking I'll remove the class lights from the "front" to match the "rear" and have a pair to model units with...
  7. R

Those are Athearn-based units? I've had a quick look through your switcher roster thread, but haven't seen it all. If I go through with the conversion I'll post up as I go. Right now I'm at the photos and detail/alteration listing stage. Any thoughts on the flexicoil sideframes? Though I...
  8. R

Took a bit of time, but it is off clean. :) Thanks Now to spend a bit of pondering time to decide if it will go under the knife.. and if I need to pick up a second cheap unit at the local shop. I wish the details and railings were installed in such a way that they could be removed without...
  9. R

Thanks... off to rock gently. :p
  10. R

I've picked up my first lightly used P2K SW1200 and am hoping someone could clarify how to separate the shell from the frame. I'd like to give it a good look over to see if I can disassemble it enough to modify into a SW1200RS without damaging it. I've removed the coupler pockets.... I see...
  11. R

Show us your weathered boxcars and covered hoppers

You're pretty much bang on with your comment on highlighting seams and the ribs. I'll try to resist the temptation to add too much, but the car just looks too fresh on its lower half. I'll have to play around on some extra parts to get a feel for how strong to go. This car will be in the ranks...
  12. R

The patches are clear decal film trimmed to a "rolled on" shape then brush painted to give an uneven coverage prior to applying. The rust is burnt sienna and burnt umber artist's oils. The darker was dabbed on first with a toothpick, once it had partially dried the lighter was dabbed on over top...
  13. R

A couple shots of an ex-Milwaukee Road 18 rib covered hopper for my home road. It's an HO Intermountain kit. Not quite finished but well on its way.
  14. R

Boxing Day Sales?

Think Black Friday but in Canada and after a different holiday.

Back