Search results

1. P

Took the N scale plunge. Layout first thoughts

Hey all, turns out my 2 year old loves trains! So my wife and I decided this was finally the year to do our N scale Christmas train layout. Now I wanted to come up with something that allowed me to use it as a small passenger car layout (think Bachmann Liberty Bell Special) during the Christmas...
  2. P

The DCC Standard - A question on transmission

Hey guys, I'm not sure if any forum members have an in-depth knowledge of the DCC standard and how exactly everything works at the packet and physical layer, but I have a question for anyone who might know. I am using a Beagleboard to create a DCC command station (I am a tinkerer) and I have the...
  3. P

Tinkering with some new ideas

So a while back I was going to start a new layout but never really got the time. Well, I was tinkering around with some new ideas the last couple days and I think I may want to change it up a bit. Here is what I have so far: This is my old layout. It is currently in the middle of my basement...
  4. P

I was given permission to start fresh!

Seven years ago, we moved into a three-bedroom half-double house. Thinking I would have people over to stay, I put myself in the basement for trains. Well, life happened and not many people stayed over, so now I have been given permission to convert a bedroom! This is a rental property so no...
  5. P

new motor for AHM loco

Hey guys. The other day at work, a friend gave me an old AHM RS3. I took the motor apart and cleaned it up, but the shaft must be bent because the motor is binding. Instead of using the old motor, I am thinking about installing a small can motor in the locomotive instead. Even a small can motor...
  6. P

where to find...

athearn trucks? Does anyone know a good source of these on the internet or otherwise? I need to get new trucks for my GP9 since I kinda messed 'em up when I did the tuneup (ripped the one clip off, now there is no contact to the wheels.) The unit runs, but there is no contact on the rear truck...
  7. P

sound decoder choice

Hey guys! Bought an athearn bb gp7 at timonium today for ten bucks! All it needs is some tlc. Anyhow, I am thinking about adding a sound decoder to the loco and was wondering if anyone can recommend one that will work. I know, cheap loco, but I want to make it nicer so advice is appreciated! Thanks!
  8. P

Model railroad operations & waybills

Ok, so I just read some "basics" on waybills and operation, and I think I need a bottle of aspirin!! Does anyone have a simple "getting started" kind of site, book, or other advice for operating a simple layout using waybills? I have a couple industries and a handful of cars and am trying to...
  9. P

Not another flex track thread??

Now, I know there are more than enough threads on flex track, with some great replies (I'm looking at you Selector ;) ) but I decided I needed to start another one, because I just don't quite understand the technique on the curves. Some guys have demonstrated sliding part of the inner rail into...
  10. P

metal wheels

I'll be honest. I never thought that metal wheels could be that much better than plastic. I mean, what's the difference what the material for the wheel is? Well, I'll tell you the difference right now! A Bachmann 0-6-0 DCC steam loco will pull about 2-3 cars (that's all!) with plastic wheelsets...
  11. P

Need some ideas

So, if you guys remember I fried my ez command controller last year. Well, Bachmann was nice enough to fix it, free of charge!! Got it back today in perfect working order. Anyway, I spent the day at work looking at videos of model railroad operations, and long story short, I want to add at least...
  12. P

digitrax auto reverser with ez command dcc

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I researched it a bit and think the answer is yes, but does anyone know if the digitrax auto reverser is compatible with the bachmann ez command system? I want to use it because it is so much less than the ez command reverser. Thanks all!
  13. P

Ez-command epic fail...

Ok, so the other day I'm tinkering with my ez-command system, putting some spectrum coaches on the rails. One of them lit up and I didn't want to try to run locomotives until I knew how much amperage the lights drew, just in case I would overtax the system. I get out my ammeter, unhook one of...
  14. P

Extending layout, need advice/design possibilities

Ok, so my current layout looks like this: Now I am planning to extend this with an L-shaped leg but I don't know if I want to make it another four foot width leg. I am thinking about something like this: but am not sure yet what I want to build. I have access to all sides...
  15. P

Looking for athearn details...

So I have an athearn s12 that I need a set of handrails/other details for but i can't seem to find them. They are discontinued by athearn. Any ideas as to where i could find these? I tried making them but i just can't seem to get the metal work right! Thanks all!
  16. P

decoder size question

Ok, I am pretty sure I saw this answered in another thread but could not find it. I have an athearn s-12 that I want to put a digitrax decoder in. I tried to use the DH123 but there was not enough room in the locomotive for the decoder. I was wondering if I could use the DZ123 instead or if the...
  17. P

Got my new DCC system today (finally!!!)

So I'm excited. I bought the Bachmann EZ-Command system w/ USRA 0-6-0 locomotive today. Got it for $75 NIB from my LHS then went to another shop and bought a digitrax decoder and performed my first dcc install!! Dude everything has worked out great so far. BTW installed the decoder in a...
  18. P

A few plant species - How do I do this??

Hey all, I have a quick question about briar patches. I haven't spent much time on the scenery end yet so I'm nervous about making bushes. Some advice would help mellow me out!!! :D I'm not sure how many people will know the kind of briars that I am talking about but I need to make some green...
  19. P

Snap switch issue

Hey guys quick question. I have a couple of atlas snap switches that I just bought the other day and installed. They are not ballasted, glued, or secured to the roadbed at all. I installed the atlas switch motors on them when they got here but I have a problem now. I wired the switches to a...
  20. P

Question about dcc and turnouts

Ok, so I am ordering a DCC system on monday and I am adding it to my existing layout. I am getting a bachmann ez-command system since I am getting it for a good price and my layout is not my permanent layout. I just want to know about turnouts. I have 3 lifelike snap switches on my layout and...

Back