Search results

1. P

Took the N scale plunge. Layout first thoughts

Kicking around some other track plans. For this plan, the outer track will be at base level and the turnouts that create the reversing loops will be at ground as well. The bridges will be at the second level, around 1.8", and the layout will climb to a third level up to the interchange yard. I...
  2. P

Not much to say really at the moment. Went and got a few pieces of flex track and road bed tonight, need to grab the stuff to make the benchwork. I already have part of the lumber, just need a few pieces of plywood and some pink foam insulation. I'll try to post pics as I build!
  3. P

So I have considered this lol. I have Lionel stuff in the attic for him to play with now. The N scale layout... yeah it's more for me than for him. He is absolutely enamored with watching the trains go around right now, and if he gets bored, dad will take over and do some operations lol. But I...
  4. P

I actually haven't decided on industries yet, though I guess I probably should. We are going to put the tree up separate from the layout this year, so that empty space was going to be mostly mountain scenery. I was definitely thinking of connecting that yard to the main further down to extend...
  5. P

The little yard in the top left will be at ground level on the layout, should have mentioned that as well. Geez I can't think straight with trains on the mind...
  6. P

actually the yard is going to be on top :) I had planned to start the grade at either end of the double track, right after the turnouts. I originally wanted the yard on the bottom, but then I thought it would be more interesting to put it on top so I could see it better. Sorry should have...
  7. P

Hey all, turns out my 2 year old loves trains! So my wife and I decided this was finally the year to do our N scale Christmas train layout. Now I wanted to come up with something that allowed me to use it as a small passenger car layout (think Bachmann Liberty Bell Special) during the Christmas...
  8. P

The DCC Standard - A question on transmission

I already printed that sheet, but it isn't quite clear from the spec what the controller does at idle. I suppose I will try to determine from an existing controller what goes on. Thanks!
  9. P

The DCC Standard - A question on transmission

Hey guys, I'm not sure if any forum members have an in-depth knowledge of the DCC standard and how exactly everything works at the packet and physical layer, but I have a question for anyone who might know. I am using a Beagleboard to create a DCC command station (I am a tinkerer) and I have the...
  10. P

Tinkering with some new ideas

Thanks guys for the feedback. I haven't had time the last few days to update this plan, but I am still working on it! Cajon, I did the top loop the way I did specifically for the scenic potential that the overpassing rail made, but I suppose I could cut it. Plus it is actually part of the...
  11. P

Tinkering with some new ideas

So a while back I was going to start a new layout but never really got the time. Well, I was tinkering around with some new ideas the last couple days and I think I may want to change it up a bit. Here is what I have so far: This is my old layout. It is currently in the middle of my basement...
  12. P

I was given permission to start fresh!

That was my understanding of what you were saying. Glad we are on the same page :) I know I have to move that top switch anyway because otherwise it'll be in a tunnel and that will not be a good thing. The others, no big deal I'll just move them where they have to go.
  13. P

Plus I would imagine that less sections translates to fewer issues with reconnection at a new location... Seems like a good plan. I'm not quite sure which switch you are calling the far left though? Also, if I split the left on 5' I'll be pretty much right in the middle of two turnouts. I'll...
  14. P

Issue with a DCC Equipped engine

I just have a question... was that engine #5676, or somewhere close to that? Just a random question.
  15. P

Ok, so I have a question. I am thinking about breaking the layout up into four or five sections to make it easier when I decide to move. What is the biggest you guys would go on sections? Right now I'm looking at breaking it up into one 4'x2', one odd shaped section that is 4'x6' on one side and...
  16. P

Almost has to be a tunnel there I guess. The turnout would be very close to the tunnel mouth, but I can also move the turnout out some to the point where it clears the tunnel mouth. I will probably go with option b there and just move the turnout some.
  17. P

Making a grade crossing

I like the wood for those crossings! Also as an aside, I am addicted to trains and motorcycles as well. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  18. P

That's a bingo on Johnstown. That's where I live, and my relatives are spread around the area as well. The mountains are definitely something I want to depict since I live pretty much right in the middle of the Laurel Highlands. The terrain around here is just beautiful and there's so much...
  19. P

I like the layout! Did you grow up near Pittsburgh? I live not too far from there and some of the furnaces I want to model served the Pittsburgh mills. My town too was part of the steel industry until Bethlehem Steel closed. JWF Industries is located in their old 11 inch mill building now. I was...
  20. P

Making a grade crossing

The card along the rails could work. I would say you are better off using the exacto to cut away the excess though. That's just my opinion. Only thing I can say is give it a shot, hope for the best, and let us know the results :)

Back