Search results

1. F

Fairly basic track wiring problem

My guess; You're relying on the turnouts to route the power - Sometimes they make a connection, others you get an open circuit and thence the dead section. May also vary depending on which way the T/O at "the other end" is set. If true, the solution is to make sure you have feeders to each...
  2. F

Automatic freight load / unload

Hi, Dunno if you've seen it, but this months MRR magazine has details for a loader & unloader for coal - It's a somewhat complex setup involving operator actuated chutes for loading from above and a "hidden" (inside a building) rotary dumper for unloading - The whole car tips out it's load...
  3. F

I need a new camera

Wow! Wasn't expecting that! [FWIW, I'm with Bob on this - MFD isn't generally the gating factor.] Good for you!..... If you'd tried to read it when you first got it you'd probably have got totally confused!..... One thing I don't think has been mentioned is the ability of some cameras to...
  4. F

I need a new camera

Indeed - Certainly allows manipulation that's not possible with jpg's. However, my 02c is *most* folks are gonna be wasting time, disk space and CPU cycles with RAW files - Unless you have specific reasons for shooting RAW (MRR wants pix in that format for example) I'd stay away. Cheers, Ian
  5. F

Magnetic decouplers vs manual.

I too would like it all to work without any intervention from the old 0-5-0. As has been noted, "some people swear by it, others swear about it!"..... I've had it working nicely on test track, but that's a long way from the real world. Kadee now do two versions (for code 83 & 100) and...
  6. F

I need a new camera

Hi, There's been some great comments herein - My 02c; - What do you want to do with the pictures? Shooting for MRR is a lot different to shooting for web posting. - Light, light, and more light!..... You can never have too much. [Although you may need a reflector to soften shadows - A...
  7. F

Attaching resistors to blue wire

An alternative, slightly easier (IMHO) approach is to put the resistors in the function wires [white, yellow, green etc] - It doesn't matter if the resistor is "before" or "after" the LED's. Cheers, Ian
  8. F

Help with suspension of loopback

Hi, I agree that you really need something in addition to foam to avoid any sagging issues down the road. An alternative I don't think has been mentioned is to support it from above - I can't remember where I read it, but there's a big layout that uses long threaded rods mounted in the...
  9. F

Scratchbuilt Ingersoll Rand Boxcab in HO

Source? There's definitely some hatred towards MM here, huh? :) "Each package contains over 118 sq in's (two large decal sheets) of several different river patterns in both straight lines & curves, plus bonus louvers & grillwork." For the introductory price of $9.95..... *IF* they...
  10. F

The 2nd one -> Fords version!?.....[Sorry Henry!]

Lacking any thoughts, I crashed on regardless; - Cut the "noses" off, moved 'em forward and re-attached. This gave me enough room to mount some 1/4" sq styrene rod into which I tapped the requisite 2-56 hole for the coupler. The "30 series" gearbox assembly will fit, but I'm struggling to get...
  11. F

Scratchbuilt Ingersoll Rand Boxcab in HO

*Great* build, pix and notes - Thanks for sharing! Looks very nice! Cheers, Ian
  12. F

Running light suggestions

S-w-e-e-t! So, what did you do with the wires!?...... Cheers, Ian
  13. F

Scrutinize this N scale layout

My bad; we're at cross purposes! - I meant using magnets for "damping" in the yard - I saw (at least) one attempt where electro magnets (and obviously magnet equipped cars) were used. IIRC, one was a masterpiece of electronic feedback which "read" the cars speed and de/activated the magnets...
  14. F

Anyone do their own photo-etches?

Keep an eye on my "Fords version" thread - I've gotta upload a few pix later and it's sidetracked me from the PE "experience" for now but I think I've got a handle on how to do the grilles...... Thanks for the comment, Cheers, Ian
  15. F

Oops - Forgot to ask; Why no DCC? With all due respect, my 02c, YMMV, etc etc I reckon you've gotta be crazy to try and do a layout of that size with DC! I admit I'm a huge DCC fan; It was the ability to run multiple engines on the same track that really got me back into the hobby! Then...
  16. F

Hi, I'll let others more skilled than me comment on your plan.... As a "real" operator you probably have a much better handle on it than many here however ;) Just a couple of comments; - Over the years I've read about many attempts at doing hump yards - Special cars with magnets...
  17. F

Track

Full disclosure; - I have never even attempted to hand lay any track - I know nothing :) - I have been tempted to give it a try however....... My understanding, very possibly wrong of course, is the "big win" with DIY *is* the T/O's!..... "Regular" track, you may as well use flex...
  18. F

Plastruct clear rod work with LEDS for heads?

No comment :D Whoa!..... Any experience with this approach? I like the *theory*, but suspect the wheels are gonna fall off before you get it thinner...... But I'd love to be proved wrong here ;) Cheers, Ian
  19. F

Kadee 30 series HO coupler help needed!

Hmmmm..... Hadn't thought of it that way before - Thanks! "Food for thought"....... Anyone else using this approach? Cheers, Ian
  20. F

Bought Airbrush Essentials...Now What?

Very good. Remember that "preparation is everything!" For valid results, that junk had better be prepared with the same care as your $1000 brass loco........ Cheers, Ian

Back