Search results

1. J

Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Jim do you use a static grass applicator ever? Your scenery skills are top notch as it is so I'm guessing you probably can do without one and acheive the same desired effect... Obviously you are currently doing low line areas as you stated in your previous post but what are your thoughts on...
  2. J

count me in
  3. J

Makes total sense sorry if you stated earlier, but how big is the gap between abutments? How long of a bridge is this going to be?
  4. J

Not another flex track thread??

Everyone does it slightly different then the next guy, it doesnt mean its necessarily wrong either. When im laying flextrack for curves i normally lay them straight out on my cement floor in basement and solder the 3 foot sections together. This to me this is easy, and never get kinks. Once it...
  5. J

I agree with having room to fit your arm in the trunnel, if you cant squeese your hand in then your in trouble... Jim have you ever made removable tunnels? Im guessing no need to unless you have one long run in the tunnel, But having a access hatch probably wouldnt be a bad thing either. Keep...
  6. J

Unreal work jim. Love the hillside, I cant remember how you make your trees, are they all homemade or super trees/store bought... I love your work by the way. Any reason you prefer ws foam rb over the cork?? Just personal preference? I know ive asked you before if you ever modeled modern day...
  7. J

My HO "L-Shaped Switching Layout" (96"x92"(16" Shelf Width))...

awesome layout, i would like to see more pics when you can
  8. J

looks great jim, just wondering on average how many hours you put into your layout daily? I like your trees by the way, thats definetly one easy way to put trees on the backdrop, im gonna have to use that idea, thanks;)
  9. J

That is going to be one steep canyon, Im guessing you will use some kind of wooden bridge? How wide is this gap? Doesnt look very wide but sure looks deep, unless its the picture. Keep the pictures coming, looks nice, im glad your doing another layout... Quick question, have you ever modeled...
  10. J

Railroad Jobs

Dont let it get you down, keep your head up, move on from this experience to better yourself for tommorow
  11. J

Railroad Jobs

Thats awesome, good luck logandsawman, sounds like once you get in it will be a fun learning process. Fluff- thats pretty cool. How is the lifestyle, i was told its never a set 8-10 hour job, you always can get called in even at 130am. Ive always wanted to work for a railroad, but my son is 6...
  12. J

Mainline rework

Nice work michael, that looks real nice
  13. J

what % is the grade you have their, seems like atleast 2% maybe 3
  14. J

I've accepted the biggest challenge (well one of em) in model railroading...

look up heart of georgia layout. "hog" Its a 4x8 layout but the 4x8 sheet is cut in such a way that its a square. When you have a 4x8 layout you need to have access around the whole 4x8 so doing a layout like the hog is in the same footprint and the hog allows you to have longer mainline runs
  15. J

who sells a quarry crusher for ho and not a complete kit with the building.

try hiawatha hobbies.com they are very close distance to walthers headquarters in milwaukee. They have a large inventory of ho scale structures. They still have alot of the out of stock/production walthers kits, i was able to find my paper mill industry here, they have alot of kits that are...
  16. J

Starting on a new building

practice makes perfect, i have not done this yet, but plan to. I always thought you just mix up the mud somewhat thin and spread it out on the brick, then as it dries or before it dries just wipe off?? Again i havent done this yet so im probably wrong
  17. J

Mainline rework

Good job, that looks much better then how it used to be, no offense.... Isnt it something how as our layouts progress we learn different ways of doing things, and it ends up with us going back over areas of our layouts that we are not satisfied with... Thats one thing i like about model trains...
  18. J

Mainline rework

Looks good michael, didnt you have a steel mill on your old layout or am i mistaking you for someone else? if i recall that steel mill was impressive
  19. J

Proper Yard modeling

I agree with montanan I think or prefer a layout to have industries to switch at and to be able to run laps... Its good to have industries planned out to support local switching this way you can have a constant supply of freight coming and going amongst the layout to support endless operational...
  20. J

Hydrocal question

Of course it will it dries rock hard

Back