Search results

1. P

Local expo

I just joined my local mrr club and they attended a mrr expo this weekend in Kinston, NC. Their modular layout measures 54' X 24'. It is impressive. I was allowed to run my Conrail unit and the 5 cars I brought that I had weathered. My units were by far dirtier than most of theirs. I like the...
  2. P

Curved code 83 turnouts

Ummm, is there such a thing? I was planning to have a few on my layout but I can't find any anywhere. I designed the layout on XTrkCad and drew them from the Peco library (code 100, the was nothing for 83), and now I may a bit screwed. Shinohara has them for everything but code 83, and Peco has...
  3. P

My first loco attempt.

This is an Atlas Dash 8-40B that I purchased undecorated off of ebay. I am modeling modern day Norfolk Southern. With the absorbtion of their share of Conrail, they aquired all of the Conrail Dash 8-40B's. There weren't many of them, and most still wear their Conrail colors with NS patches. I...
  4. P

Foam, plywood or both?

I've got the lower level benchwork in process, but have not really given much thought to the deck material, I figured I'd wait until the time came to make that decision. Guess what? It's time. I have seen and run on layouts where the deck was just plywood, and one where there is a layer of...
  5. P

Curved bridge/viaduct

I finaly started building my layout today. I have about half of the lower staging benchwork done and have to build my helix before I can start on the real fun stuff. I decided on making my layout with continuous running with a workable amount of switching, and with that I have a few different...
  6. P

Steam experts, help me I.D. this one

My Grandfather was big into model railroading in the 60'-70's. When he passed away I got what was remaining of his locomotives. Most are steam. I grew up running these units, and would very much like to get them running good again. This one has no manufacturers name on it. It needs some detail...
  7. P

I just finished my first Walthers structure...

...and I'm not real impressed. The structure is Peterson's Tool Specialties. First, it was missing parts, it happens. I went online to their customer service area and sent them a message regarding the missing parts, no reply. A week later I called them, and talked with somebody. They sent me...
  8. P

Eraser fun part deux ( dial up warning )

Only this time no eraser was used. My victim this time is an Athearn BN 50' boxcar. I shaved off the stirrups (2 were already broken off) and the grab irons on the sides. I bent .020 wire for the stirrups and used .015 wire for the grabs. The first step I used for the weathering was to use a...
  9. P

Fun with an eraser

With all of the talent on this forum, I have been inspired to give weathering a shot. I have been extremely impressed with some of the weathering I have seen on here, and figure what the heck...if I want artwork as nice as that on my layout (still need to build it), then I better get to...
  10. P

How do you remove...

...the shell from an Atlas loco? Forgive my newbness, but I have tried everything short of a crow bar to remove the shell from an 8-40B. I have removed the couplers of course, and in the process of wiggling and tugging, managed to get the cab off ( not what I wanted ) and knocked the enginner...
  11. P

I think I have a workable layout plan

Please let me know what you think. The upper level is the working level, lower level is for parking main line trains. The layout is a freelance area modeling current day Norfolk Southern. The basic idea is to have a yard to do the switching, classification, and set outs. A GP38 or GP40 head...
  12. P

At what height should I build?

I know, it is a true newb question, from a newb. But I am going to get started building, And I am going to get some materials tomorrow. I need to know at what height is optimum. Is it more of a subjective issue? I'm 6'2", but most people aren't tall, and I don't mind it being at less than say...

Back