Search results

1. jacon12

Knockin' out walls

I had a heckuva time getting this Y6B into my studio, but I finally did it even if I had to knock out a wall. ;) I borrowed some clothes, set up the lights just right and kaapow.. took the shot. Now I have to get it back to the owner before he misses it.. :D Anybody know how you get...
  2. jacon12

Re-soldering?

Last night I was soldering track at the joiners and this morning I noticed one or two that I'm not all that happy with. It looks like the solder flowed down into the joiner ok but I'm not sure about the electrical connection of it. Is it ok to simply resolder those areas, i.e. flow some more...
  3. jacon12

Hint hint

My birthday is in September..:D Jarrell
  4. jacon12

Running DC on DCC

Not that I do it but, does it hurt a DC locomotive to run it very much on a DCC layout, and vice versa? Jarrell
  5. jacon12

DCC strange-ness

I've had a little P2K GP-9i for about a year now and it's a favorite engine of mine. Here's my photo of it.. When I tried to crank her up this morning, nothing happened. To make a long story short, somehow the engine had reverted to it's out of the box address of 03 and all functions were...
  6. jacon12

Modeler, a self portrait

While working on a Kato SD-40-2 the other day I had an idea for a photograph, but had no model (a people type model), so I decided to be photographer and model. I apologise in advance for the size of the image, I'm used to posting on photography websites and the image was sized for them but...
  7. jacon12

Editing my profile

How do I edit my profile so that other members may email me by clicking the email this member in my profile? Thanks, Jarrell
  8. jacon12

Tie trimming

Is it customary to have to trim the ties nearest the end of a section of track that is joining the diverging rails of a turnout? Without doing so the ties get in the way of each other. Jarrell
  9. jacon12

Turnouts first... or track?

Not that I'm close to doing it yet, but I was wondering about this. After I've got the track centers drawn on the benchwork and I'm ready to start permanently laying track, it seems like the right thing to do would be to install all the turnouts first and then connect the flex track to those...
  10. jacon12

Sitting on a siding

The other day I came across this Norfolk Southern southbound train sitting on a siding waiting for a northbound to pass. I tried to photograph it in a way that accented how massive and powerful these locomotives are, then turned it into a 'drawing' on my computer. Jarrell
  11. jacon12

The curve of a curved turnout

Does the curve of a curved turnout come in set radii? In other words, if you were going to put one on a curve that had a 22 inch radius, are curved turnouts made that match the radius of the curve? Jarrell
  12. jacon12

Reversing loop

I'm trying to work in a way.... somewhere... to have a reversing loop to turn the train around and go the way I came, when I need to. With my limited experience the only place I see that I might can do it is from point A to somewhere in the vicinity of B.. The arrows indicate the usually...
  13. jacon12

Ain't it purty

A 'pencil drawing' of my GP-9. Done with the computer instead of a pencil. You didn't know I could 'draw' so good, didja... :D Jarrell
  14. jacon12

I killed a Pepsi

While working on some trackwork this morning I needed to use my railnippers to cut off about a quarter inch of track. And I did. Immediately upon making the cut I heard a thwziiiiiiiiiingggg pssssstttttttt and looking up saw a nearby can of Pepsi spewing the beverage out in an almost straight...
  15. jacon12

Figuring inclines and parallels

In my plan below, on the middle table, my track... starting at the 0 elevation point, climbs steadily to 3 3/4ths inches then levels off for the bridge over the lower track. It stays level across the bridge and then starts it's drop back down to a height of 3 inches.. figuring on the...
  16. jacon12

I've designed myself a problem

If you'll note in the diagram below, I've set aside the spot for my passenger station in a difficult spot for my passengers to get to without getting killed. From the bottom, come up halfway on the bottom row, then come over 7 (large) blocks from the right, the area between the yard and the...
  17. jacon12

Yard tracks

What distance between tracks should I shoot for, minimum and ideal, for straight yard tracks? I looked on the NMRA page but can't find it, must be overlooking it. Jarrell
  18. jacon12

EMD's SD-40-2

Why is it called a 'road switcher'?
  19. jacon12

Trackside Industries

On your layout, 1- what trackside industries do you have and how do they relate to the operation side of it, i.e. a coal mine that ships to a power plant. 2- approximately how many industries, or other operation oriented areas such as gang tracks, do you have?
  20. jacon12

Old and New

My house is near one of Norfolk and Southerns routes and I hear the mighty rumble of the late model diesels about 2 to 3 times a day. I love to hear the horns. My layout, while still in its infancy, is loosely based in the 1950s... giving me the excuse to run steam and early diesel... but I...

Back