Search results

1. D

Magnetic decouplers vs manual.

I've reached the stage (or perhaps slightly past it) where I need to decide on if I am to use magnetic decoupling as part of my operations or stick to manual (with those sticks). I wasnt able to really experiment well until I had some track laid and a few cars ... I've changed out all my...
  2. D

Help with suspension of loopback

I've posted a few pictures on my blog http://trains.calldei.com/?p=153 I am soliciting suggestions on how to implement the risers. As you can tell what I've done wont work very well :) Its just there to help me get a feel for the dimensions. The roadbed is 2" foam with prety much nothing...
  3. D

How bad is a 1Meg/Ohm "short" on DCC ?

How bad is a 1 Meg/Ohm "short" on DCC rail ? I'm laying track and switches and cant remove this short. I've tracked it down to 2 of my tortoises (across pins 2/3 or 6/7) ... this is a consistent occurance. I solder a connector to the tortoises and frequently get a very small short. Usually...
  4. D

Why do steep (90degish) crossing need guard rails ?

I just completed my first attempt at a hand-made crossing. This was done totally from scratch as there were no jigs/assembly fixtures available and also just to see if I could do it. I think my results were "barely acceptable" ... Here's an image of it almost complete...
  5. D

Hand building a curved 75 deg crossing

I need to build a 75 degree crossing based on 2 24" radius curves crossing. I just need one of these. I'm getting better at switch building (built about 10 now) so I'm hopeful I can do this. I have been using FastTracks fixtures for all my switches but this is non-standard and even if they...
  6. D

A short story with a happy ending

Often on these kinds of groups the posts are all about questions and answers. While those are the key reason for the group, I wanted to share a short story about Layout and Benchwork from yesterday. Note I am very new to this hobby so this is probably a common occurance to many but for me...
  7. D

Power Pole Connectors - My problems

I'm now to layouts and building. In my research I saw many many times praise for PowerPole connectors. So I decided that for my connections of sections buss wiring (14 guage) to main buss wire (12 guage) and for connections from the buss to my DCC system I've been using PowerPole connectors...
  8. D

Pre Stain Ties ?

I'm hand laying turnouts and track (HO) using FastTracks forms & supplies. For my first bit I've been pre-staining the ties (and the pre-build tie forms and "switch sticks") with a Walnut wood stain. Then later I paint the track, Ties and roadbed with Floquil Weathered Black with an...
  9. D

Portable Soldering iron ?

Its annoying how I am chained to the plug. Its often difficult to have my soldering iron where i want it without the cord catching or having to use an extension cord and worrying about burning the cord etc. Years (30?) I had a Butane torch soldering iron and I *loved it*. Portable, quick...
  10. D

Advise for online store / Rolling stock / Wishlist

I'm new to this hobby, I've been having a great time laying track and building but now its time to get a few cars. I am modeling the steam/desiel era and have 2 DCC locos (a steam and a switcher). ( http://trains.calldei.com) My wife wants to know what to get me for xmas so I told her I...
  11. D

Dogbone with xover. To reverse on the loops or the middle ?

Here's a rough diagram of my layout I'm working on (its changing slightly as reality hits but this is the right idea) At http://trains.calldei.com/?attachment_id=86 I realize this will require some reversing section(s). My quandary is do I put the reversers (likely a PSX-AR ) on the...
  12. D

Cutting gaps in Fast Tracks switches

I've made a few Fast Tracks switches (www.handlaidtrack.com) and am now looking forward to making a *lot* more (20+). One problem I have is cutting the gaps in the frog and rail sections that need gapping. The directions have me use a jewelers saw. This works and produces a very nice...
  13. D

Train "Cartridges" - rail or bent metal ?

I've been reading about "Train Cartridges" as a way of storing rolling stock and getting it onto and off of staging area. The books I've read show how to make it by screwing 2 strips of L-shapped metal (aluminum?) to a piece of wood. I was wondering why this instead of say using flex track...
  14. D

Bridging Sectional track/scenery

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to solve this problem. I know there is no "right way" but probably a lot of "bad ways" Summary: I'm building a "Sectional Layout" with 8 sections about 6'x2' max each (various sizes). They are each a frame of 3'1's with 2'x's underneath (L-Girder...
  15. D

Main deck benchwork done

I've completed the main deck benchwork for my new layout. This is a "permenent" under benchwork (L-girder + beams attached to wall) as well as 8 removable sections of 2" foam framed in 1x3's. Each section is removable to work on in my shop or for possible moving, but not intended as a truely...
  16. D

To Twist or Not To Twist

Hello ! The layout I'm building is "E" shape about 10'x20' ... Its "sectional" (but not modular). (8 sections 6-8 feet each) Under the core benchwork supports I plan on running the main DCC power for each power district, branching off from the middle where I'll have a single controller...
  17. D

Modeling San Fransisco style cable cars

Has anyone modeled a SF style cable car / track ? I've seen these for sale (HO) and the individual cars look right, but there's something awfuly wrong about a cable car you have to pull with a loco ... especially one on tracks with ties ... it realy spoils the illusion. In my new layout I...
  18. D

Wye, Slip Switch or Double crossing ?

I am building my benchwork now (attached layout). I've decided the island "future construction" should be done now not in the future. I'm planning on making the island a kind of 'stub terminal. That is a yard of sorts (industry unknown). I will have access from both east and west bound...
  19. D

Surfacing and patching extruded foam

I'm building bench-work based on slabs of extruded foam in wooden frames. So far its working extremely well. However the foam is never perfect, it gets dents, chips etc. Plus where I am connecting 2 sections they dont always line up exactly. I'm sanding away high spots and connection...
  20. D

Sander

I'm in the middle of my benchwork at the stage where I need to trim a lot of 2x2 and 1x4s and sand the edges to take the sub roadbed Been thinking of investing in an inexpensive hand sander but I'm lost So many kinds even in the sub $50 range ... Belt orbital weird pointed things that...

Back