Search results

1. BenchmarkHunter

Birmingham History - Oxmoor Depot

Great picture! I have not seen that one before, but some similar ones from different angles. The map is the same one as on the bhamrails.info website, and it shows the TCI&RR benchmark. The map was drawn (or updated) in 1926 and the furnace was shut down in 27 or 28. It also appears that the...
  2. BenchmarkHunter

I think you nailed it. The tank was on a small knob, probably not more than 12'-15' above the surrounding acre or two. The SW end of the retaining wall is only about 2' above the base of the tank, but is about 10' higher than track level. The NE end of the wall where the benchmark is placed...
  3. BenchmarkHunter

Nope, it isn't showing on my posts or any search for oxmoor, birmingham, or anything related to the mines & Red Mountain. I am by no means an expert on rail history or history of the area. I was actually looking for a 1947 USGS benchmark that was placed about 80-90 feet NE of this one...
  4. BenchmarkHunter

I posted this the other day on the end of one of the Birmingham threads but it has since disappeared, so I'm going to post it here. I think the photos may have been too large so I've resized them... I found this 1903 T.C.I. & R.R. Co. benchmark disk a few weeks ago at the site of the Oxmoor...

Back