Search results

1. davidpen

A New entry in my Gentle Model Railroads blog

There is a new entry in my Gentle Model Railroads blog - Wiring is in place.
  2. davidpen

There is a new entry in my Gentle Model Railroads blog - 1st run of Amtrak 737
  3. davidpen

The link works for me but try this http://www.gmrblog.co.uk.
  4. davidpen

There is a new entry in my Gentle Model Railroad blog - Putting in the wiring busses. Check it out.
  5. davidpen

There is a new update on my Gentle Model Railroad blog. Here I describe my process in getting the boards made for the new HO layout. Check out my first attempt at stop framing!
  6. davidpen

I am back with my blog but HO this time

Here is the current iteration of the HO Switching layout that I am going to build.
  7. davidpen

I am back with my blog but HO this time

Hi everyone. Not been around for a few years since I lost my hobby room when my mother-in-law came to stay (she is 97!). Having struggled to get a few layouts going, I have finally settled on a 7' long HO switching layout. If you would like to see all of my history - it goes back to 2009 -...
  8. davidpen

Freight Car Routing - My university project moves on

"Empty box cars come from the general pool so can be sourced from either end of the railroad". This includes reefers. "The problem I see with this is that if you have the engine proposing a higher demand than there are cars available, the owner will never know he is short of cars, and...
  9. davidpen

This is how it works. I was just explaining to the previous poster how my software looked like his pseudo code. My blog at https://tm470routingproject.blog explains: "the DE has to track through every location that could source or require a car and assess any need. Once this analysis is done...
  10. davidpen

Industry X -> Car Type A When Industry X Needs Random(number) Cars -> Create Train When Create Train ADD Car type (Industry X.CarType) I write in Smalltalk and in pseudo code that comes out as: Car Type A sendTo: IndustryX; [IndustryX needsRandomCars(aNumber)] ifTrue:[ CreateTrain...
  11. davidpen

I think that you are thinking about traditional databases. The only thing that matters in this scenario is "this train". The system builds the train for you. You use the information; tell the system that you have moved all of the items; the system updates for the new locations and then that...
  12. davidpen

Only if you are using it as though it was a SQL db (which would be pointless). KV databases are used for fast access by keys - not by searching. There are objects in buckets accessed by keys. You use it by dumping and reading complete records ( not an expression that I like - I prefer...
  13. davidpen

Not using a SQL database. On a Key/Value database, there isn't any normalising. You have multiple copies of data under different keys. Using an example of my model shop web data base: key -> Value SaleID -> sale record. Client Name -> sale record list Client ID -> sale record list and so on...
  14. davidpen

I am busy working away on the project. Although it is, supposedly, a software project, the University sees it as a project report. I am expecting to have a working prototype to accord to the the original design once the course ends but the University deliverable is a 10,000 word report. To help...
  15. davidpen

Avoiding my wife's complaints

I have been model railroading since the mid-50s but almost never had a fully working layout. Something always gets in the way. As I am now retired and building a railroad "properly" my wife demanded(!!) that I have some people:-) To stop the trouble, I not only have people but I also have cows!
  16. davidpen

Your back story

My railroad, the Sunset and North Eastern connects Hartford CT to Boston MA through fictional Sunset (near Worcester MA).It, theoretically, had its passenger service killed in the early 1950s (the station in Sunset is currently boarded up). Passenger services are provided by the New Haven - runs...
  17. davidpen

My University Project - please check my car allocations to industries

It can be a meat packers. That would add a nice bit of complexity to the design. Many thanks for taking the trouble.
  18. davidpen

My University Project - please check my car allocations to industries

Hi everyone. My project is moving on. I have now put together a list of the industries on my layout with the cars that would be serviced at each. However, I would like some ideas as to what I have missed. Can you go to the Test Layout page of my project web site and have a look at my ideas...
  19. davidpen

Building Hyrocal Structures

Hi there. Randy has a tutorial on making his kits. It's at http://www.downtowndeco.com/site/?cat=21. He recommends 5 minute epoxy.
  20. davidpen

Help with my University project - Freight Car Routing for Model Railroads

Thank you. I have to record any external contributions and that really helps. BTW, I am constantly updating the web site. There are now a few pages showing object details and hardware layouts. You might like to bookmark the site and come back regularly. I am hoping, in a couple of weeks, to have...

Back