Search results

1. A

N or HO scale

I've got so much time and money wrapped up in my HO layout, but I'm going to have to tear it down. I'm doing some remodeling in the basement and there is no way around it. As a result, space will be a premium. Thinking of going to N scale. I know nothing really about N so I have a few...
  2. A

Fading numbers and letters

And a couple videos I've seen guys using these fiberglass pen brushes to scratch away numbering with really good results. I bought one and used it myself but it turned out like dog crap. The letters look like they had been scratched in the areas around the lettering that got scratched changed...
  3. A

Weathering videos....anyone?

Anyone care to share some good YouTube videos on weathering you have saved? I have searched and searched and have come across a few but none that really knock my socks off.
  4. A

Track Cleaning: Pulling all stops

Ok, my layout is huge and unfortunately in the basement. I've tried about everything to manually clean the track and that's just not possible anymore with all of my scenery in place (trees, telephone poles etc). I've also tried cheap track cleaning cars that run bright boys underneath with...
  5. A

Track Cleaning: Pulling all stops

Ok, my layout is huge and unfortunately in the basement. I've tried about everything to manually clean the track and that's just not possible anymore with all of my scenery in place (trees, telephone poles etc). I've also tried cheap track cleaning cars that run bright boys underneath with...
  6. A

Model or real photo?

Someone's layout or Winston Links photo?
  7. A

Weathering track

Was out for a walk today and went over a pedestrian bridge. Took this picture which I thought was interesting. I've heard a lot of people talk about putting down a streak of black down the middle of their tracks for weathering. But it looks like the reality is it's rust colored not just down the...
  8. A

Sand box

How did they get the sand in and out here? . Not the tower but the box.
  9. A

Making progress!

It's been months and months since I've been down to the layout. Got some trees done, laid out the town, ballast some track work etc.
  10. A

Score! Roundhouse ore cars

I love these little cars. I always keep my eyes peeled for a good deal. Well today I was at my local hobby shop and ran into a bunch of used rolling stock. Among them were 7 C&O never put together ore cars. Three different road numbers among them. Got them for $7.00 each. I'm a happy man!
  11. A

d nd error on Digitrax Zephyr

I've never had trouble programming before but this has me stumped. I connected one wire to Programming A to the rail of a separate piece of track. I connected the other wire (Programming B) to the other rail. I have alligator clips soldiered on. It's all a great connection. So I put the loco on...
  12. A

Forgot my loco address!

I don't want to reprogram the entire loco, just need to find the address. I have a digitrax zephyr....any ideas? Thanks!
  13. A

Storing your locos

Next question...how are you guys storing your locomotives? The boxes mine have come in (Proto, Athearn Genesis, Bachman) all come in boxes where they fit so tight, it's wearing on them to pull them in and out. The details on these things are really amazing! Even leaving them in the engine house...
  14. A

How many hours before cleaning your loco wheels?

It's been almost a year since I ran any locos on my layout. This weekend I decided to clean the entire track with a 600 grit sand paper and then wiped it all down with alcohol. Got out the locomotives, cleaned the wheels and let um' rip! About every 15 minutes, it seemed I had to keep cleaning...
  15. A

My locos are shorting out in several places

Some background,...I have the Digitrax Zepher and I'm using feeders about every 4-5 feet. My mainline which is the only one I'm running now is about a 40-50 feet circuit. I'm a very beginner with the DCC stuff and electrics in general so bear with me. My problem is my locos seem to start and...
  16. A

Texas floods...wow

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/texas-freight-train-derails-partially-sinks-flood-waters-article-1.2409595
  17. A

What screw?

I'm restoring a bunch of old plastic roundhouse ore cars, the ones with the metal bottoms. It seems that once you remove the truck screw, the hole is bigger than when it started requiring a bigger screw. I'm trying to order a bulk pack. It's impossible to tell what I need by looking at a...
  18. A

Train horn policy?

A friend said there is a law about blowing your horn at crossings. He said its 2 long, a short, and another long. I told him I did not think there was anything that governed horn blowing. Am I wrong? I hear all sorts of pattern where I am.
  19. A

First attempt at laser cut wood structure

Never built one before,...Any suggestions? This will be my first one. It's by cornerstone...a wood barn. Thanks!
  20. A

Glue question

Hey all, I have some plastic tree armatures that I'm trying to glue clump foliage to. I've tried straight Elmers but the foliage just falls off. I need something super sticky. Gorilla glue seems to foam up after it dries and looks horrible. Glue gun might work but would be time...

Back