Search results

1. B

What If,...Designing a New Steam Locomotive Product??

What if you went to work for a model rr company, and was tasked with designing a new steam engine locomotive product? Are there changes from the state the art locomotives you would consider, based upon your own experiences, and/or experiences you have heard of from other modelers? Are there...
  2. B

Decoder Installation Question

I'm pretty new to this decoder installation subject, and I have a particular installation problem. I'm removing the decoder/electronics board from a BLI F7 loco that developed zinc pest, and hoping to install it into an Intermountain F7 chassis. The problem that has arisen is that a number of...
  3. B

missing Photos?

Why are numerous photos missing from this discussion,...for instance on page #1 https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/improving-our-steam-engines-performance.34036/ postings #2, #16, #17, #18
  4. B

Trix / Marklin PA locomotives (pair)

I was just at a train show this past weekend, and a fellow offered up a pair of Trix PA's at a very attractive price,..... I couldn't resist, even though I do NOT do Union Pacific. Apparently these were only made in UP livery?? TRIX Marklin 22805 HO ALCO PA-1 Class 600 Union Pacific AA #600/601...
  5. B

Bachmann 44 & 70 ton Switchers

It turns out I have found 3 such locos in my stowage cargo trailer,..that I had almost forgotten I had. 1) One of them is a single-motor version of the 70 ton GE. It is running fine, but i don't think I will keep it, as I have a bunch of Atlas & Proto switchers 2) Two of them are dual-motor...
  6. B

Winter Retreat in Florida

Winter Retreat in Fla Are you a bit weary of those nasty winters in the north? Are you a model railroader? Are you 55 plus? There is a mobile home for sale right next door to me in a retirement community in FL. And you could participate with me and my rather extensive 12x16 dbl-deck layout...
  7. B

United States Army Tansportation Car

I recently found this marvelous car in my collection,...I think when I was collecting up european trains. I assume it was a car used over in Europe after the war? I did not know how to find more info on it. On the bottom, it indicates it was a RoCo product. anyone with more help in...
  8. B

Single Decoder controlling motors in A-B consist, and 3 speakers

I have 2 sets AB of F-3's that I purchased from BLI long ago. Interestingly they have a connecting cable between the 2 units such that it appears as though there is a single ESU decoder controlling the motors on both units, and all 3 speakers. Is that true?? I have another AB set of PA that...
  9. B

Gap-less Turnouts, reducing wheel dips in turnouts

I'm returning to this idea that I suggested back a few weeks ago,...a swinging frog I think it would be called? railandsail wrote: Okay this is just a really rough sketch at the moment, but perhaps it conveys the thought,...my swinging frog. I cut out the location of the stock frog area...
  10. B

Reducing Wheel Dips at Turnout Frogs

I've been working on a section of my track that contains some closely spaced curved turnouts (I refer to them as dbl-curves). The frog areas of these turnouts are pretty 'open spaces' that I have had some luck adding some plastic shims to in an effort to reduce some of this big wheel...
  11. B

Reducing Wheel Dips at Turnout Frogs

I've been working on a section of my track that contains some closely spaced curved turnouts (I refer to them as dbl-curves). The frog areas of these turnouts are pretty 'open spaces' that I have had some luck adding some plastic shims to in an effort to reduce some of this big wheel...
  12. B

Pictures of the first view visitors get of your layout...

This subject discussion was posted on another forum, and brought out some interesting replies. Thought it might be an interesting addition to this forum,....
  13. B

Putting a Locomotive Asleep

This past Sat I was invited to come visit the model railroad layout/club in Palatka, Fl, while several of their members worked on a couple of problems they were experiencing. I took advantage of the opportunity of both meeting some other fellows involved in the hobby and the fact that they...
  14. B

Scam Ad?

Why is this ad (banner ad) being allowed on this forum site? It appears to be some sort of info collecting site aimed at seniors ,...extra ss money, but not a government agency??? https://championgene.com/social/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3tCPvOLM_QIVZ8CUCR0yQAHvEAEYASAAEgLcnfD_BwE
  15. B

website improvement? page # numbers?

Perhaps its just because I am a bit colorblind or something else. BUT I have trouble telling what page I am on,...they all appear to be the same color to me??....and size, and text style
  16. B

Tutorials & NCE clubs nearby me

I finally got my NCE system installed and test run. I've got some tweaking to do, but I have a much bigger problem. Pretty sizable layout in a 12x16 handi-house shed,.. https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/interesting-track-plan-tupper-lake-faust-junction-12208132?pid=1334109627...
  17. B

Truck Spacing Dimensions, Wheel base?

Would there be some sort of chart or site that might compare the 'wheel base' truck spacing of various diesel locomotives. At this time I'm interested in particularly the length spacing between the 2 trucks on 6 axle diesels,..how far apart are they, and are there some different engine models...
  18. B

AC6000 locomotives in HO scale

Did either Santa Fe or BNSF ever utilize AC6000 locomotives, or did any manufactures model them in HO scale?? I have two brand new Union Pacific ones built by Broadway Limited that I would like to exchange shells with as I don't do Union Pacific. Is this a feasible idea?? BTW they are Paragon...
  19. B

Unlocking the Proto 1000 DL109 Trucks

I have a number of these HO DL109 engines and have never taken the trucks apart to inspect them for gear lubricant, nor electrical contacts. Can someone tell me how to gain access without over stressing any of the plastic covers, snaps, etc. ??
  20. B

Tower Flood Lights for Freight Yards and Industrial Scenes

I couldn't find any subject threads that really depict a variety of these tower lights one might find in a freight yard or other industrial scenes. I have some older versions, but I would like to find more. or even new versions with LEDs??

Back