Search results

1. W

Thinking about changing scales

That second one is a GP9m. One can tell by the funny square over-the-hood vents behind the cab. I see it also has a cold weather hatch over the out most roof vents.
  2. W

Starting over before I really started...

I think (guess) you are using Bachmann EZ-track. Am I right? The limited pieces of track greatly limit what you can do with the available space. Even so is there a reason you are putting the short curves in-line with each turnout exit instead of just putting the turnouts back to back? That...
  3. W

Comment by 'Western Star' in media 'Abandon Mine'

Just to be clear this is in a photo contest section - I did not build this mine just photographed it. I think it is a great piece of modeling too. I will track down the builder and credit them once I find out. The photo comes out very pinkish on line - don't know why. It is not that pink...
  4. W

If you were switching roads

What? We are supposed to be modeling a road? Like one specific road? Hmmm I knew I was doing something wrong. I have not been able to choose. I started down one path and ended up on three different ones. Yes, I mean no. Yes, I mean no. Why isn't making your own class 1 listed an option...
  5. W

Turn-out Switch

Normally what I would say is that you need is a center-off, momentary contact toggle. However, I am not understanding why you would WANT to engergize the coils all the time. On a normal Atlas switch motor that will melt it down really quick.
  6. W

Flash Back!!

A bit of a further note here. On the hi-speed turnouts the entire point to inside guard rail pivoted so that the guard rail pressed against the frog so that the opposite direction did not have a break (gap) in the rail. The rail was "solid" from the tip of the point. I actually saw a real...
  7. Abandon Mine

Abandon Mine

The vein depleted and the rails already torn up and sold for scrap. The only action this mine sees is an occasional train passing on the nearby main.
  8. W

Newbie with a difference

I would think that narrow-narrow gauge would look funny next to such large automobiles. And that is not to mention anacronistic as a wooden buck board and horses would look more appropriate next to the On30 equipment. With all the sales I've been seeing on g-gauge track, I would think it...
  9. W

really really new.....

You need to back up a step there. That is not an N-scale locomotive. That is HO scale narrow gauge or HOn3. It will NOT run on N-scale track. It will need special HOn3 track such as this http://narrowgaugecolorado.com/?name=Catalog&mode=i&item=000305 To run on N-scale track it would have to...
  10. W

To solder or not to solder the tracks

I solder when and where it is needed and makes sense. I always solder flex track joints on a curve. If the curve is longer than 360 degrees like in a helix I go back and cut expansion gaps away from the joints. I never solder a commercial turnout. I solder joints that are in the area where...
  11. W

Thinking about getting serious W/ model RR

It looks like everyone else has been adressing how to build and how to control it but not this more important question that you asked. My problem is that I never decided what to model and tried to model everything that I liked. Not a good plan. Deciding what to model is an excercise in...
  12. W

PFM Sound System.... How did that work???

HA! Yeah, I don't know how many times I read that and still read it as unimpressed. ?!? Even after quoting it. Human brains are funny things.....
  13. W

PFM Sound System.... How did that work???

Stack noise - do you mean exhaust? On the control unit there is a separate volume control for the exhaust sound. Plus there is the "tone" adjustment. One or both of these might be preventing the exhaust from sounding. Then on the locomotive there has to be the exhaust signal circuit. In...
  14. W

zephyr operating questions

Sorry I am no help in answering your question, but this is why I am in the "one throttle per train" camp. On my Digitrax Zephyr I use the jumper ports for two more throttles. I hate playing "video game" poking buttons and scrolling through stacks just to run a train.
  15. W

Working Signals With Digitrax Zypher?

In my opinion signals are the most complicated part of model railroad electronics and maybe of all model railroading. Books have been written describing in detailing how to wire it up, so it would be really impossible to do here on a forum like this. First we would have to have a detailed...
  16. W

Ebay prices.. WOW!

Yup, for a few years there the Stewart F units with the Kato drive had gotten up to $240 each! recently, I've picked them up for less than $30.
  17. W

Ebay fun

No, no, no. You do not understand. The point is if you snipe with the same price you were going to bid anyway because you might get it cheaper. You never bid higher than you really want. I calculate the highest price I am willing to pay. I INCLUDE whatever shipping is in that price, so if...
  18. W

Thinking on Layout

I think most people are too hard on most Atlas plans, but in this case I agree, the HO-8 is just a mess. It looks like one should be able to run three trains simultaniously, but because of all the crossings usually just one train can move at a time. I would not recommend any further...
  19. W

Sound

In that case the most important thing is to match the sounds recorded on the decoder to the unit it is installed in. I have a PCM F3 ABA set that the sound quality is ok but it is wrong. There is obviously a turbo charger (567D) rather than a roots-blower sound (567B) that this particular set...

Back